PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #91  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I've been eating this way for quite some time and I've found it very helpful with my weight loss. I really feel much better overall. I haven't actually been diagnosed with PCOS, but I do exhibit a lot of the symptoms.

I do have days when I completely cave to my emotions, especially during highly stressful times. And then it seems snapping back to the right eating is difficult. Sometimes I need a day or so of fasting on water and vegetables to help me snap out of it, as well as taking steps to care for myself emotionally.

I am so determined to lose the excess weight. I get very angry when I lose ground, because losing weight with PCOS and/or insulin resistance is so hard. No one really understands, other than others who have it too. It's nice to come here to be validated.

Geo
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #92  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

So much has happened in the last few days. Work was heck for a while. Students just would not settle down and so when I got home did not feel like doing anything.
Dh is still out of work and eeo is still doing their thing. He did have his surgery on friday and it went well. He is very sore and is taking narcotics so I need to stay by him. He is doing better now...want to get off the narcotics...so that he can go to school tomorrow. He stoped them last night.
I went into a-fib last monday, but it was not as bad as it could have been. I guess that the meds are working, but I do go to the dr. tomorrow and will talk to him about this. Maybe the meds need to be bumped up to help more. I will let you know
As far as beck...doing pretty good. I have lost 7 lbs of the weight that I had gained. Still have a few to go...but am thinking about what I am doing more. CREDIT there.
I have not even been on the computer for quite a few days...so I hope that all is going well with you all.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #93  

I'm back on track after yet another....yes another weekend blown. I don't know what is wrong with me, and why the weekends are so hard for me....but I'm not quitting.

How is everyone doing? Anyone losing lbs?
mommyto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #94  

Default I'm trying again

Hi Everyone,
I was diagnosed with IR about a year ago. I went to my endocronologist by recommendation from my OB/GYN because she did not know what else to do. In the past 6 years I have had symptoms develope slowly. 1st allergies became so bad that my allergist put me on the max meds he could and makes me come back every 3 months for check-up. Then I developed body aches that made me feel like i had the flu. Would get exsausted by doing very little around the house. This could last 1 day to a week, maybe more. Then my periods became extremely heavy, they put me on birth control eventhough I did not need it. The next was really bad sinuse infections that would not go away with one round of antibiotics. The final straw was the migraines! These put me over the top. I finally went to my OB/GYN and told her I HAD to HAVE HELP. I then had an immediate appointment with an endocronologist. She ran a lot of blood work. The main one being for hypothyroid. She was going to start me on medicine that day but waited to see how much I would really need. When I can back to get the results she was surprised! I had all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but my blood test showed that it was working fine.... What the????? I was about in tears But, she did tell me that as she has gone to confrences about IR that many of my symptoms were become very common for those with IR.

I swear by this diet as long as I follow it...if I fall off for a long time I feel the pain, literally. I feel off about 2 months ago. And I have been slowly getting back to miserable. As of this week I am back on.

Some advice...if you just stick with it solid for about 2 weeks, no mess ups, it then just happens you do not even think about the bad stuff anymore. My food has become my medicine and some carbohydrates are like a bad drug I HAVE to stay away from. One of my best friend was trying so hard to lose weight, I bought this book and gave it to him. He has lost 20 pounds and is still counting.

This is not a diet this is a life change and it is an easy one if you think about it compared to others. Really there are NO restrictions. It is just how you eat things. 1 Carb always = 1 protein at the least. That is easy. no more than 30 grams carbs = 15 grams protein. Veggies are pretty much free.

I hope this doesn't sound too preachy I am doing it for myself as well as anyone else who wants to read this???
biscrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:52 AM   #95  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Hi everyone.

I'm so glad I found this thread.

I've got PCOS and thinking more and more that I shouldn't be on the pill- I take it so I can actually have periods (and if I wasn't scared stupid of being pregnant and having children, I would have been off it a long time ago!). But it's what biscrandi said about the migraines that's got my curiosity piqued.

The last few days my head's been pounding and I'm popping ibuprofen like, well, candy. The rest of the symptoms, other than very heavy periods, I haven't experienced, although my mood can swing from one end of the scale to the other quick as!

I write down what I eat every day (roughly 1300 calories; heaps of veg and protein and low-GI carbs) and burn about 800-1000 a day through exercise and martial arts classes and the weight sure as h3ll is not coming off! In 6 months I've managed 11 pounds. I've worked out that at 1300 calories a day, I should be losing a pound-and-a-bit a week. Add on an additional 3200 a week for exericise and that should be just about 2 pounds. By comparison, my boss's daughter has lost 55 pounds in 8 months. Disheartening to say the least!!

For a long time I thought I was just an anomaly. I'm glad there's a forum for these issues. I'll give the book a go, it sounds like just what I need.

Cheers.
Mollz
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #96  
Hunger-not an emergency!

He all and welcome. My dr. put it in a nice way and funny. He said that I have a vw motor in a cadillac body..Did something fun last night...went online and found some 1956 cadillacs and make pictures of them. Make up note that said "A vw motor in a cadillac body" and put the pics on it. It may seem funny but it is a good reminder. Doing good today. A little sore because I have been off driving the bus for 4 days. My shoulders are what are sore. Have a good day.
angelmomma210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #97  

I'm back on track today and I feel sooo much better. I'm still kind of tired feeling, but I don't have that groggy feeling that I have after eating a lot of junk/carbs. I really hope that getting on metformin and following this eating plan will help with the feelings of fatigue that I always seem to have.

Here is what I ate today. Tell me what you think (if you don't mind).

Breakfast
1 1/4 c rice krispies w/milk
string cheese
(this keeps me full until lunch time, but I don't think that I'm getting enough protein. I think I should just eat a cup next time.)

Lunch
weight watchers quesadilla (linked and balanced)
yogurt
apple

Snack
milk
100 cal pack

Supper (tentative)
hamburger patty (lean)
green beans
salad

Snack
Fiber one bar
milk
Old 03-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #98  
Hunger-not an emergency!

Not much new here...the pics do help on the fridge. I have to giggle every time that I look at them. Not sure what kinda model I will have when this is over...but it will be smaller. LOL
Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #99  

I have read the book and have it but I am not following the diet. I am trying to stay away from most carbs and it has helped. I am not talking about natural carbs like in fruit and veggies. I eat whole grains mostly. What I am doing is working for me. I follow a modified WW plan. I do the point system and try to eat more protein than carbs.

Mollz, 1300 calories might not be enough. I know when I did WW for a long time if I tried to cheat on my points (that is use too little) I would not lose weight. Your body needs food to fuel it. You might be running out of gas. Try eating alittle more. I used to drink a glass of 1% milk before bed to give me another dairy in a day if I exercised. That really worked for me.

Mommyto3, try eating 2 hard boiled eggs instead of cereal and a low fat yogurt for breakast. You can scramble 2 eggs with a little bit of green peppers, onion, mushrooms and cheese. Have an 8 oz glass of milk. I find if I eat cereal I am hungry before lunch and my blood sugar will crash. Have carrots or celery as a snack with a cheese stick about 2 hours after you eat. Lunch I normally have a mixed green salad with sunflower seeds, lean deli ham, and 1 oz of cheddar cheese with low fat salad dressing. One of my new loves is fish. I try to eat it at least once a week if not twice.

Just a suggestion.
Lisa
Lisa_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:53 AM   #100  
Carpe diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_WY View Post

Mollz, 1300 calories might not be enough. I know when I did WW for a long time if I tried to cheat on my points (that is use too little) I would not lose weight. Your body needs food to fuel it. You might be running out of gas. Try eating alittle more. I used to drink a glass of 1% milk before bed to give me another dairy in a day if I exercised. That really worked for me.
Lisa, funny that you mentioned eating more. When I went to the doctor, he suggested to drop the exercise and see how I go. I can't imagine taking time off from the gym- it would be way too weird not to go. I'll finish my week out this week and come Sunday I'll try to eat a little more.

Of course, the doctor's also prescribed new birth control pills (with anti-androgens), a pelvic ultrasound, blood tests and a referral to a gynaecologist.

I'll start writing down what I eat and measure the food out-- maybe I'm eating more than I think? That would suck... I'd hate to think that I've been inadvertently cheating myself and thinking there's something wrong with me since it's not coming off. You've given me something to look at. Thank you.

Angelmomma: think of your new bod as a sexy black Ferrari. Everyone's gonna want it, but only your partner can have it. Maybe I'll take your idea on board and put up a pic of one.

Cheers.
Mollz
Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #101  
Hunger-not an emergency!

Mollz...love that idea. Doing okay..not great just okay.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #102  

Mollz,
With Weight Watchers I did the healthy 8 and counted points. I would use my exercise points (points=calories) for an extra dairy. Your body needs a healthy balance. Another trick was to eat more calories one day and the next day eat less and keep doing the cycle. I think your body get "used to" the way you are changing it and it stalls.
Lisa_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #103  

Default Frustrated?!!?

Hi everyone,
I have been following the plan for the last 3 days and am feeling worse. What The ?????? I have had bad headaches, tired as can be, sleeping bad and horrible carb cravings. I think it might have to do with all of the stress I am under at school?? But, I have had to drag myself through this week.

Question? I have been told I have Insulin Resistance but NOT PCOS. Is that possible/common?

I am also with the Mollz about losing weight, I end up stopping my work outs because I am an over achiever and when I see nothing in progress of my working out efforts I give up the workout? I am really trying to tell myself that this is not about weight lose this is about seratonin and dopamine and feeling better?

Any suggestion for workout motivation. Also is there a place I can get ideas for recipes, especially ideas for snack for that is good on the go? Also, This might be a little TMI, but is anyone else suffering from constipation on this diet? I eat veggies at every meal and fruit at snacks. I am just wondering if I am eating TOO much protein?
biscrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #104  

I can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you that I have most certainly had a problem with constipation since I've been doing it! It's so odd because I'm drinking more water, eating more fruits and vegetables....what's the deal!?!

I haven't had more cravings...which really shocked me because I am a HUGE carb freak! But I wouldn't think it strange to have headaches and some withdrawal cravings. I wish that we would share what we're eating more too; not only for new ideas but it might generate more interest from others who might be lurking. jmho

As for the pcos, it is possible to have insulin resistance and not pcos because men can be insulin resistant.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #105  
Carpe diem

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscrandi View Post
Hi everyone,
I have been following the plan for the last 3 days and am feeling worse. What The ?????? I have had bad headaches, tired as can be, sleeping bad and horrible carb cravings. I think it might have to do with all of the stress I am under at school?? But, I have had to drag myself through this week.

Question? I have been told I have Insulin Resistance but NOT PCOS. Is that possible/common?

I am also with the Mollz about losing weight, I end up stopping my work outs because I am an over achiever and when I see nothing in progress of my working out efforts I give up the workout? I am really trying to tell myself that this is not about weight lose this is about seratonin and dopamine and feeling better?

Any suggestion for workout motivation. Also is there a place I can get ideas for recipes, especially ideas for snack for that is good on the go? Also, This might be a little TMI, but is anyone else suffering from constipation on this diet? I eat veggies at every meal and fruit at snacks. I am just wondering if I am eating TOO much protein?
The Mollz... sounds nearly as cool as The Fonz.

I know the first few days (lasted 5 days for me) on a low-GI diet was tough as; because your body basically goes into detox mode, flushing out the excess stuff you aren't eating anymore (sugar!!). I remember watching a UK programme, Can Fat Teens Hunt, and the first casualty was a girl at the end of the first day crying her eyes out because she had a really nasty sugar crash and she wanted to go home.

I've got a terrible sweet tooth and it took every ounce of willpower I learned and had to not get that Snickers bar at the grocery store checkout when I first started.

Insulin resistance (I think) is a lot more common in overweight/obese people more than we realise. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with insulin resistance, your body's not using the insulin it produces effectively or efficiently and you end up with more glucose in your bloodstream, which is why rates of Type II diabetes in overweight/obese people are skyrocketing. I believe IR is common in women with PCOS who are overweight, but can occur in women who don't have PCOS.

Have you had a skinfold test before? If not, get a personal trainer at the gym you go to do one for you. I swear by skinfolds and get them done every 8 weeks. You get 4 areas pinched with a set of calipers: bicep, tricep, back and hip. The measurements are added up and the total measurements correspond to a body fat percentage. If you're doing a lot of gym work- like lifting weights on a daily basis like me and lots of cardio, but not seeing the scale move too much, it could be that you're putting on muscle.... and muscle weighs more than fat. A caliper test is a **** of a motivator. When you see the fat start coming off this way, rather than a number on the scale which only reflects *weight*, you look at things differently. When I first started lifting, I weighed 93kg. 12 weeks later, I put on 4kg, but lost 30mm of body fat *and* my pants fit better.

What I like about body fat rather than weight is that you can be thin and still be "overweight".

Seriously consider the skinfold. And see if a personal trainer will do up a seasonal programme cycle for you: 4 workouts per year, 3 months per workout, and get a skinfold at the end of every 3 months. If you have to pay them the one time, it's well worth the money. The owner of the gym I go to does this as part of the gym fees. But make sure they show you correct technique for lifting, otherwise, your programme won't be worth the paper its written on.

Can't help you with constipation, but try to add some fibre. If you haven't already, switch to multigrain wholemeal bread, not just brown bread. What about switching meat to beans twice a week (I might have to try this)? Eat the skin on the fruit if you don't already. If you're still constipated after all that, add psyllium fibre to your meals (doesn't add flavour, IIRC) or to your water. Fibre makes you feel full too.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Mollz