PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #181  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

If I don't count calories, I eat too much. Eating is something I enjoy so much, and even when I've had enough & hunger is appeased, I find myself thinking "That just tastes so good, I'll have a few more bites."

Willow, like you, I would like to hear from people who have lost signifigant weight on the IR Diet, and how they made it work for them. Counting calories and keeping a food diary are tools I'm fearful of giving up, but would love to be able to eventually maintain without them.

callmelaura, don't forget foods like Boca burgers. The flame grilled have 14 protein & 6 carbs each. There are lots of vegetarian soy products on the market in a lot of different brands. I consider them a processed food and count the carbs and proteins per the nutritional label. Just work with what you know & you'll soon get the hang of it. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
joyful retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #182  

I finally found my book and reread it. It still feels like a lot to keep track of, but, day one was successful. So far, so good on day two too. The veggie burgers were a good tip, thank you. I'm afraid I may get bored pretty quickly, but I'm going to give it a shot. I have to say, I feel better. I'm less bloated and seem to have more energy. Now if I can actually lose some weight, I'll be thrilled.

I counted calories for years and lost about 35 pounds which brought me to my goal weight just in time for my ex's wedding, HA! Then counting calories stopped working all of the sudden. Atkins didn't work, Weight Watchers didn't work. Not even South Beach worked. I'm not sure what changed, maybe just getting old and changes in metabolism. At any rate, I'm hopeful that watching the clock and linking carbs and protein will do the trick this time. Especially since now I have more like 45 pounds to lose.

I really appreciate all of your support. With your help I'm able to give this diet a shot. And if I actually lose weight, that will be enough to keep me motivated. Knowing that it's worked for some of you definitely helps. I'll keep you posted...

Last edited by callmelaura; 07-18-2010 at 01:18 PM.
callmelaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #183  

Hi All,

Since I have enjoyed hearing from others about this diet, I thought that I would post a day's menu every once in a while in an effort to keep this thread going. I think I mentioned in a previous thread that I need to shoot for about 20 gms of protein each meal for my appetite to stay in control. That means that my protein to carb ratio is almost always higher than the diet calls for, so I can stay within that '2 hour fat window'. I also use the nutrition info on labels whenever possible, so my final counts reflect whatever brand of something I'm eating at the time. For example, the bread I almost always eat is Nature's Own 100% stone ground whole wheat, which is 10 carbs & 50 calories per slice.

Here's todays eating plan: (coffee & breakfast already consumed)

Before Brkfst: 2 c. coffee with 2 T. half & half, 1 p & 40 cals

B: Sandwich of 2 slices WW toast- 20 c & 100 cals, 1 slice lean ham - 5 p, 1 c, & 35 cals, 1 slice 2% cheese - 3 p & 50 cals, 1 egg- 6 p & 70 cals. Plus 1 c. 2% milk-8 p & 120 cals. Total = 22 p, 21 c, 375 cals

L: 3 oz. lean ham- 15 p, 3 c & 105 cals, 1/3 can drained & rinsed navy beans- 7 p & 95 cals, 1 svg fzn turnip greens steamed in MW- 30 cals, cole slaw made with 90 gms shredded cabbage- 20 cals, 1/2 oz. chopped onion- 5 cals, 1T. mayo- 90 cals, 1 pkt splenda & 1/2 T. vinegar. Total = 22 p, 3 c & 345 cals

D: 1 pre-cooked fzn burger- 15 p & 210 cals, SF strawberry ice cream made by whirring together in a blender 1 svg fzn strawberries- 13 c & 50 cals, splenda to taste , a splash of vanilla & 1c. 2% milk- 8 p & 120 cals. I put this concoction in a plastic serving bowl & stick it in the freezer uncovered for about 2 hours, taking it out about halfway through the process to give it a good stir. Total = 23 p, 13 c & 380 cals.

Total for the day will be - 67 p, 37 c & 1140 cals.
I usually have more carbs than this. Carbs vary a lot for me from day to day. Of course, with this diet's linking method, you are always getting more carbs than tracked. If you counted all carbs, I'd be getting a total of 70 carbs for the day. I usually get more like 80 to 100 a day total carbs, but I'm cutting back a little today, because a buckwheat pancake had it's way with me yesterday & I overindulged. I did stay linked though, by eating 2 slices of lean ham & drinking a glass of milk with it.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #184  

I was diagnosed with IR but NOT PCOS last year. I was put on Metformin, lost 20lbs and then I stopped taking it because I felt like garbage. I then floated between between 15 and 20lbs for awhile. In June, I started a work challenge and lost 15+lbs on Atkins. I got discouraged because it wasn't coming off fast enough for ME and started cheating. I was actually stalled for over a week and got upset. Now I'm floating between 12-15 pounds. So I'm down 30lbs total since last year. NOT ENOUGH for someone my size. :/
I'm upset at myself because I could of lost more if I just stuck to it!

Anywhooo...
I was diagnosed with IR and wasn't ovulating at all. So I went on Metformin and BAM started ovulating again. My doctors told me there was no reason I shouldn't be getting pregnant. I met with their Nutritionist and she recommended South Beach. I showed her the IR book and she said sure, do that when you become pregnant but I think your body needs less carbs.

SO. Atkins is obviously TOO low of a carb for me to lose steadily. Constant stalls for weeks without cheating and eating the right way is REALLY discouraging.

My question. Can I do IR but LOWER carb than what's listed? I don't want to eat bread and an overload of carbs at every meal. I'm fine with my breakfast and lunches the way they've been.

Basically 2 eggs, mushrooms, cheese for breakfast and grilled chicken and veggies for lunch. I cut down on my cheese A TON and I don't mind switching to egg beaters and low fat/fat free cheese. Dinners I have the issues with the carbs..

What are your thoughts?
dee79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #185  

dee79,

I don't see anything wrong with the way you are eating. Is it possible that your body just needs a few more carbs earlier in the day? Could that be why carbs become an issue for you in the evening? I'm not sure how you define "an overload of carbs", but if you ate 1 serving of carbs at each meal, that would only be about 45 carbs for 3 meals. Maybe have a small serving of potatoes, corn, rice or oatmeal for 15 carbs if you don't want to eat bread. If you are avoiding those foods, how about a serving of fruit? Some of us need to eat a more moderate amount of carbs for both weight loss & to stay satisfied.

The authors of The IR Diet clearly say that you can have UP TO 30 carbs per meal as long as that is linked with AT LEAST 14 gms of protein. They also say that if still hungry at end of meal, you can eat more protein &/or more of any vegetable other than potatoes or corn. I almost always eat less carbs than the max allowed and more protein than the minimum required for linking per this method. What I like so much about this method, is that my appetite stays under control, and when I need a treat or want more carbs than I usually eat, I can easily work it into my plan. I must say that the longer I eat this way, the less often I need a treat. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #186  

Just popping in to say hello. Is anyone else still following this diet? I would sure like to hear from others who have lost weight with this plan & kept it off.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #187  

Hey girls! I´m not yet insulin resistant but i´m on the verge of it.
I found the IR diet and it just made sense to me . I sort of followed it for 2 weeks and i can honestly say that after a few days i inmediatly felt better, had more energy in the afternoon and i even woke up in the morning with more energy. Now that i´ve cheated a little i have felt my cravings come back a little bit. I really want to know if someone has tried this diet for a long time¿?? I have the feeling like this is the only thing that could work for me for life, since i instantly felt better eating like this and i like that it has a lot of variety. I just joined this forum so i can find someone that has followed this diet for a long time and tell me your results!!
Magdallena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #188  

S/C/G: 263/262/160

Height: 5'4

I tried it and lost a ton on it, along with hard exercise. It is phenomenal.
Cemommster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #189  

I had a tough time figuring the diet out. I guess I don't do well with vague. It sounds like it works when you know how to work it though. I'd be curious to hear of your experience and any tips to sticking with it that you care to offer.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #190  

Think of the see saw she has in the book. It's all about balancing the carbs with the protein. It helped for the first few weeks to actually draw the see saw and match the amount of protein and carbs.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #191  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

It's still too carby for me. Makes my blood sugar go up too high. I have to stay on Atkins induction phase in order to control my blood sugar without medications.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #192  

Thanks Jenny, that helps. I should take another look at the book. It's been a while since I pulled it off the shelf. I do remember that for the few weeks I was on it, I felt great. I'll give it another go and report back.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #193  

Anytime. I can't do Atkins induction, it's too strict for me.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #194  

I started it a month ago.
I love it!
Not only did I lose 7 pounds so far, but I am no longer a slave to sugar cravings. It feels so great!
Snowfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:22 PM   #195  

S/C/G: 156.52/156.52/128

Height: 5'5"

I know this thread is old, but have any of the participants found that this works for the long run? More like a consistent weight management/control lifestyle?
agutzg is offline   Reply With Quote