PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #151  

Eumie that makes a lot more sense! I have been walking but I want to lose some weight so I will go to the gym or run to get up to the 70-85% of my max heart rate.

Plus i need to start back on the weights.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #152  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

[QUOTE=callmelaura;2849426]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumie View Post
Do you think we could convince the powers that be at 3FC to add an IR diet forum?

I would be soooo happy if we could do that! I want to know more about this diet. I've tried to start it, switching from calorie counting, but I found I was gaining weight from all the extra protein I was eating. Anyone else have that trouble?
No, I haven't, but I've only been doing it for a little, and I'm still calorie counting. I find that the meals and snacks I plan still fit into my calorie budget, but I'm a counter for life. So, while I've been having success, I still count constantly.

So, who do we go to to ask for the Insulin Resistance Diet forum?
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #153  

I thought I would bump up this thread. I just started this diet and love it. Is anyone else still on it?
javajive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #154  

Hi all - I have insulin resistance and take 2000 mg of metformin a day. I read the IR diet in the spring and have been more or less trying to follow it. I dont always count everything exactly, but more or less try to follow the general principles of linking and balancing. For example, instead of having pretzels for a snack, I'll have almonds or pumpkin seeds. I have found that a combo of calorie counting and limiting and linking/balancing carbs/protein has been working. And, of course, regular aerobic exercise and strength training, too! So though I don't follow the plan exactly, when people ask me what I'm doing I say 'more or less the IR diet.' I think it's very doable and sustainable since I can still have pasta, bread, etc but just have to watch portions and balance it with protein. I see my endocrinologist again in December and am excited to be in onederland when I see him next!
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:42 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 350/324/Hmmm...

Height: 5' 3"

Hello all! I just ordered the IR book from Amazon a few hours ago, but have been researching the basic premise of the plan and think it sounds sensible so far.

I am a HUGE believer in IR, knowing from experience that eating concentrated sweets and carbs make me crave, feel tired, gain weight as well as a whole host of other nasty side effects.

I recently did the Carb Addicts plan and lost 33 pounds. I felt better, had more energy, my hair thickened... I then stalled for MONTHS. I also found myself binging at Reward Meal time, and suffering cravings the rest of the time. But knowing that insulin is the evil culprit behind my problems, I knew I needed to stay on a plan that dealt head-on with hyperinsulinimia and IR.

So, that is what brings me to 3FC and this thread. I'd love input, particularly food plans and some info on the whole "linking and balancing" thing, since I won't have my book for a few days.

Thanks is advance for any advice and support!

Di-Ellen
darkgardyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 350/324/Hmmm...

Height: 5' 3"

Oh, I forgot to ask, does the IR diet book talk about Metformin? I know about it's use for T2 Diabetes, but am wondering about using it for IR.
darkgardyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #157  

anyone still around doing this diet? Is there another thread somewhere that I'm missing?
mommyto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #158  

Deborah, I've noticed that these threads on the IR Diet come and go.

Anyway after a foray into other plans that didn't work half as well, I'm back on the IR Diet. Are you still around? Maybe we can wake up this thread!

Anyone else doing this plan?
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:56 AM   #159  

I'm trying to follow the principles while counting Weight Watchers points. I'm not doing so well right now but not the diets fault it's mine. I would love to have a thread going about it though.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #160  

Great Carrie! If anyone else has the book or is interested in the program, please help continue the thread!

And Carrie, don't blame yourself so much - life sometimes gets in the way of our best intentions with eating. Well, at least I know it does with me. And it has lately. So today I'm just jumping back in. But I also know if I keep starting and stopping something, it just won't work for me. So I'm working on changing bad habits.

Have a great day!
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #161  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I'm with you if you are still around! I've been back on IR this week. I'm not sure why I even stop doing it...laziness I guess. Tomorrow is my first official WI back on plan.
Hun.e.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #162  

Default IR diet and inches lost

For those of you with IR, do you see inches come off or visible results but the scale is slower to show a loss of weight?

The reason I ask is I see a difference physically but the scale is showing only a few pounds.
pnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #163  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I think this is what I'm getting too...I feel smaller, havent taken measurements to test this...but the scale hasnt moved much at all.

Congrats on your changes though!! thats what really counts not some stupid number on a stupid hunk of metal! Keep up the good work!
Hun.e.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #164  

Library is holding a copy for me...going to grab it tomorrow and hopefully find time this weekend to read it.
StressedNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #165  
60 KM's north of Awesome

S/C/G: 222/206/120

Height: 5'0

Hello ladies!
I am thinking about incorporating the IR diet into my current eating plan.
(I have PCOS and IR)
ANyone have any advice?
Anyone still around?
Thanks so much!
-Chelle
Angry Mittens is offline   Reply With Quote