PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #16  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I also have heard that cinnamon supplements are helpful for insulin resistance.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #17  

Default Bodywraps and losing inches around

Hi everyone, I've been out of an exercise routine now for over a year and I've recently returned to the gym to try to make muscle tone. In addition, (I work for a supplement company so I know the answer to one of the questions you guys are asking) I am trying on myself a new product I am seeing a lot of called a "bodywrap". It smells minty and I've been told I wrap myself like a mummy wherever I want to get smaller and it works.
Anyone here done it? I haven't yet, so I was wondering about some feedback..I will post my results in a few days.
I have a personal opinion about supplements and weight loss. Firstly, exercise is #1, the other lady posting is correct. But after that, assuming you are limiting your breads, pastas, rices, and sugars, I would personally use a product that contains r-ala. The most important thing is the r...because there is r and s versions. The s is cheap, the r is not. It is a strong ingredient that is used in 3rd world countries for diabetes where insulin is too expensive. To me, this means if I eat right, exercise right, and can't resist a small bag of fries, I don't feel so bad because I know this supplement makes my body more sensitive to insulin and therefore processes the junk more efficiently.
I hope that was good info for you and any ladies that have done these wraps, please let me know. It seems so thin and minty...I can't see it working. I plan on trying it this weekend.
MsAffliction09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #18  
Trish831

S/C/G: 287 / 212 / 135

Height: 5'5

Hey everyone!
I try and walk on the treadmill for at least 15 minutes a day, but usually I do at least a half hour.
I only eat meat, fruit, and vegetables. People that are insulin resistant need to have some sugar at certain times. If you feel antsy, irritable, shaky, have anxiety, it's most likely due to your blood sugar being low. When I feel that way, I have two tablespoons of peanut butter on a piece of wheat bread. I am an extremely picky person so this strict diet has been hard for me but eliminating sugar and carbs has made me lose 12lbs in a little over a week. I LOVE sweets and frappucinos... all that stuff and because I know that if I eat it, I will for one, beat myself up about it, and secondly, I'll think "well, if I ate one cupcake that day and I'm still doing okay, I'm sure it's okay to eat one today". I know myself and my body and I KNOW that I'll start to make excuses, therefore, I don't touch it. It's hard when it's in the house though. My husband and son). Anyway, I'm here if anyone wants to talk or vent. I also take Glucophage and am looking into more supplements I can take to help this horrible disease!
Trish831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #19  
Krissy Rose

S/C/G: 228.4/221/130

Height: 5'4"

I have a friend with PCOS as well, and she tried the DCI. She's been extremely happy with it- she ovulated on her own for the first time in quite a while after she stopped it. I'm interested in trying it, but I'm on metformin so I'll hold off for now.
Krissy Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:58 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 300/275/180

Height: 5'8

Hi every one. I am so confused when it comes to these supplements! I want to start taking cinnamon and I have been doing aliitle research. It seems that there are several types of cinnamon, both in pill and cooking form, and then there is Cinnulin Pf. Does anyone have any experience with these or know which is best? Thanks
N1kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #21  

Talking Also useful for IR

My Doc has me on a number of "natural" suppliments..
He says that the majority of people with IR are lacking these vital nutrients for not only stabalising blood sugars but getting things running right.
Others have recommended:
A multivitamin and mineral.
Calcium and magnesium and vitamin D.
Fish oil (1,000 to 4,000 mg) a day improves insulin sensitivity, lowers cholesterol, and reduces inflammation.
Extra magnesium (200 to 600 mg a day) helps with glucose metabolism and is often deficient in diabetics.
Chromium (500 to 1,000 mcg day) is very important for proper sugar metabolism.
Antioxidants (such as vitamins C and E) are important in helping to reduce and balance blood sugar.
B-complex vitamins are important and are part of a good multivitamin. Extra vitamin B6 (50 to 150 mg a day) and B12 (1,000 to 3,000 mcg) are especially helpful in protecting against diabetic neuropathy or nerve damage.
Biotin (2,000 to 4,000 mcg a day) enhances insulin sensitivity.
Alpha-lipoic acid (300 mg twice a day), a powerful antioxidant that can reduce blood sugar significantly. Flaxseed oil is another that helps reduce inflammation, high in omega 3 and great for vegetarians.
Evening primrose oil (500 to 1,000 mg twice a day) Cinnamon as a supplement. One to two 500 mg tablets twice a day can help blood sugar control.
Other herbs and supplements that can be helpful include green tea, ginseng, bitter melon, gymnema, bilberry, ginkgo, onions, and garlic. Fenugreek can also be used to help improve blood sugar, although large amounts must be taken.
My Doc has me on:
Gluco Support made by Eagle Professional Natural medicine:
It contains: Gymnema, Cinnamon, Chromium (chloride and picolinate), RS-Alpha lipoic acid, Magnesium, Zinc, biotin, and cholecalciferol
Also Flaxseed oil
ProbioticMetMulti-vitaminIf any of this helps!!???
Chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #22  

My doctor told me i'm on the "pathway" to PCOS but can't diagnose me with it so I started working with a nutrionist and he has me eating SUPER healthy and clean. He even suggested me staying away from alot of wheat as well because you can never be sure there's not some unbleached wheat in there as well. So he suggested brown rice products are better. I eat brown rice bread, crackers and tortillas and LOVE them! I also eat Quinoa as another carb. Along with alot of veggies and certain fruits. Sometimes it sucks eating like a rabbit/caveman but I have to do it for my health.

He also has me taking fish oil supplements, something called MetaGlycemix and also a supplement to repair my adrenal glands and Saw Palmetto. I'm hoping that working with him will reverse this.
I'm going to try the chromium also! Thank you for that information.
Xtremesteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:40 AM   #23  

Hi all,

Does anybody have an opinion on Ovablend? It contains Saw Palmetto and Sarsparilla. I was recommended to take it by my naturopath... but then another one told me to forget about it and just take Vitex.

I just started with a Naturopath in December, and my treatment including supplements is as follows:

- Omega 3 - 2000-3000mg daily
- 2 tbsp fresh ground flaxseed a day
- VM-75 by solgar - multi-v
- Chromium Picolinate - 500mcg twice daily
- Magnesium Plus B6, but Bluebonnet. I capsule at bedtime
- B5 (Panthethine)
- B3 Niacin
- Vitamin D3 (I showed a deficiency in my blood tests)
- Ovablend
- Vitex.
- no grains
- organic vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds, beans and fruits
- organic chicken, turkey, fish, eggs

**** excercise up to every day, 45 mins. Its hard for me. At the moment I exercise 4. Trying to add a day slowly so that I don't get burned out and bored.

I just started. I was on the pill before, for like 10 years, so I was fine. Stopped taking it in July, and immediately gained weight, 20 pounds, and I break out like crazy.
afbxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #24  

Height: 5'6''

Metformin made me sick to my stomach. I have no interest in every trying that stuff again. After doing some light research I have decided to go ahead and try chromium, cinnamon and fish oil along with my daily vitamin. I've been adding 1/2 a tsp of cinnamon to my [black] coffee until my supplements arrive Monday. I've taken fish oil off and on for the last year...same with the multivitamin. I have been having the hardest time losing weight so I'm really hoping this helps. I exercise at the gym about 4 hours a week, and then at home I do pilates and dog walking/hiking. Clothes are fitting better but the lbs are not coming off!! I hope this works. If anything maybe I can get the placebo effect!!
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #25  
Determined to lose!

I just googled and found this link helpful..
http://www.natural-hormone-health.co...-for-PCOS.html
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #26  

Default NatureMade Diabetes Health Pak

Reading thru this forum I remembered that I had a half used box of this from Costco. So I started taking them again (since lately I've been SOOO tired that some days I can't get out of bed!)

Has lots of good ingredients, and right now Costco has a $5 off online sale so I ordered 2 more.

Alpha Lipoic Acid with Green Tea
ALA is a powerful antioxidant that protects against free radicals to maintain healthy cells. It works with vitamin C for optimal antioxidant protection and combats oxidative stress that occurs in the body from diabetes.†(1,2)

Multivitamin / Mineral
A high potency supplement providing essential vitamins and minerals for overall nutritional support. Lutein helps maintain eye health.†

Chromium
Necessary for proper carbohydrate metabolism.†(3,4,5)

Selenium
An antioxidant that helps protect the body from free radicals Helps fight free radicals (oxidants) thought to be responsible for cellular damage.†

Folic Acid
Folic Acid helps maintain normal homocysteine levels in the body to help support cardiovascular health..†

Vitamin C
An antioxidant that helps fight free radicals to maintain cellular health and support proper immune function

Has anyone else tried them?
d2snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:12 AM   #27  
Julz2011

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'7''

I just found this really cool article about flaxseed. It lowers testosterone. U should take 30 grams a day
Julz2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 280/270/180

Height: 5'4

[COLOR="Navy"][I am on Chromium (for weight loss), Cinnamon(for sugar metabolism), Co Q10 for insulin resistance, Vitex(chasteberry), Phlegm transforming( a chinese herb), Calcium+D, I also do accupunture. I eat all whole wheat and grain. No milk, a little cheese, all organic meat(if I have any), veggies, low carb, 2000 calories a day, 2 liters of water and exercise 5 days a week. I have been doing this for about a month now. I am hoping this works. My husband and I are trying to conceive.
JennywithPOCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #29  

I am on metformin ER, and I take d-chiro-inositol, a prenatal multivitamin, B complex, vitamin D3, and fish oil every day.
I also eat a low GI diet to complement this and try to exercise regularly.
Melhoneybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone!

I am definitely interested in finding natrual alternatives to Metformin and Spironolactone for increased testosterone, and am finding all the posts very helpful.

I was wondering if you all have companines that you buy from that you think carry better quality vitamins? I will try at the local drug store, but don't know if there is something better out there...

Last edited by kyalpn; 09-21-2011 at 01:04 PM.
kyalpn is offline   Reply With Quote