PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #1  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

Default Weight Loss and Facial Hair

That title is scary, isn't it? :-)
Anyway, those of us with PCOS know the "facial hair" problem all too well. Just wondering if anyone with PCOS who is losing weight, notices that this problem gets any better? My doctor was trying to tell me that it would. I tried laser hair removal for a while, and it seemed to help a little, but if I gained 5 lbs, it seemed to start to come back strong. They told me at HTGT that hormal changes and weight gain can cause this. I stopped going, I figured I should try to lose this weight first and then try again.
Just curious.
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

i am a firm believer that being a healthy weight very much reduces the symtoms of ovary/hormonal problems.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I am one of those people whose facial hair "issues" went away. No mustache, no sideburns, no unibrow (although it wasn't monseterous, but I definitely had hair there).

no I wax my brow line.. and that's it.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #4  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

Thank you for the response! Yet another good reason to get of this weight for GOOD!! Thank you!
Junebug41 - I looked at your before and after pictures... WOW! You look like a different person!! What program do you use to lose/maintain your weight?? I am using WW and I have tried this so many times in the past, once I get to a certain point my body seems stuck and I end up throwing in the towel. Is PCOS have to do with that, who knows!
Thanks for the replies!
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I never stuck to a plan. I'm just not that kind of girl, I guess. I took a lot of stuff out of my diet. I didn't eat a lot of dairy or meat (NO red meat). I didn't eat bread or pasta or rice for several months. I kind of had to reteach myself how to eat those things, so I abstained to bring everything back into focus. I eat them now, sparingly. Sooo, I ate a LOT of fruits and vegetables. I ate small meals. I really didn't/don't count calories, but when I've "tested" it, it's usually under 1500. As far as maintenance, exercise (just like when I was losing) is KEY. When my eating and exercising is on point, I lose and firm up like that.

ETA- I also did this in conjunction with going on birth control (desogen, now nuvaring). I know it's not a "cure", but it helped SO MUCH. I have a regular cycle, no facial hair, normal blood sugar/glucose and as of my last Dr's visit last month, I have been cyst free for over 4 years.

Last edited by junebug41; 07-09-2008 at 03:27 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote