PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #1  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Default Belly fat - ugh!

So I've fallen off the wagon again, *sigh*, and I'm trying to get back on.

The interesting thing about this time, though, is that almost all the weight I put back on went straight to my belly.

I'm an apple shape anyway and insulin resistant (but not diabetic, thank God), so this definitely doesn't help. The last time I lost a significant amount of weight, I started at 275 pounds and was wearing a size twenty in jeans/pants, and a 22 in shirts. I dropped to a size 14 pants, and a size 16 shirt.

Well, since I've put the weight back on and I'm right back where I started weightwise, I am now a 16 in pants and a 20 in shirts - which means it went all to my midsection! I've done really good this week - been to the gym four times already and eating well. I need tips, advice and suggestions on how to get rid of this barrel around my midsection! Right now, I'm focused on cardio at least four times a week, 35 - 40 minutes a day, but I'll probably add in strength training once I drop at least ten pounds, and increase the duration of my cardio.

My biggest motivation "issue" is having a bad day at work and skipping the gym, having a drink, and eating crap. I'm sure alcohol is one of the reasons why all my weight is in my midsection, so I am definitely cutting down on the drinking. If anyone has tips on how to stay motivated, too, they would definitely be appreciated!

Thanks for your support!
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

That's the Insulin Resistance talking, unfortunately. In my younger days (a long, long time ago ) I was always a pear. When I gained weight it went straight to my hips and thighs. Always had to by pants and skirts and take them in around the waist.

By the time I was diagnosed as Type II Diabetic (twenty years ago -- nobody was ever just 'Insulin Resistant'), I had definitely turned into an apple. Now I have to buy elastic waists or I won't be able to breath and they are always butt and thigh baggy. I also notice that the waist is the last place I lose an inches.

Hang in there, Chickie . . . you are definitely not alone.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 227/170/130

Height: 5'2

Hi grneyedmustang-

Boy can I relate to your story. I too am an apple shape, with the exception of the rear. I also "treat" myself after a bad day at work to coming home, having a beer and eating. My friends say if I could just cut out the beer I would lose. I tend to splurge on it on the weekends as well. It is the one thing I am having such a hard time stopping and is probably causing the biggest detour in my weight loss.

From what I have read it seems that cardio is one of the best bets to help lose the midsection. I feel that crunches along with the cardio sure wouldn't hurt. Sounds like you're on the right path with the exercise.

If you'd like to pm me and we could compare notes and chat feel free to do so. I wish you the best of luck!
JazzyNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #4  
aka Anne Marie

S/C/G: 232/222/145

Height: 5'8"

I think that carbs tend to hit the belly area worst, so maybe trying a low(er) carb way of eating (and cutting the alcohol out - esp. beer!) would be a good way to kick start things for you.
principessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

I vote for more cardio, also! Unfortunately, most research shows that PCOS'ers have to exercise more than the average overweight person. If there is a way that you can break up exercise in to a couple of sessions per day to add in more, that would probably make a big difference.

As for staying motivated - Meh. Ok, seriously - I find outside sources of motivation impossible, other than just reading or watching that somebody else is succeeding. The 3FC community is my main motivator. Even if somebody just made it through a day, or a meal. Or if somebody asks "I need to do this, can you do it with me?" They don't have to be at goal to motivate me. But something has to click inside of me and often it is something that works for me but not for somebody else. I also have found that prayer and faith can help me through the bad times - I have a difficult time laying it out like that, though.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Me too! Hate that darn tire! I did find that when I had a serious amount of weight training that was when I saw the biggest change in my body & the biggest weight loss. Of course I was sticking too a high protein, high veg diet along with that which helped.

Motivation: I find that honestly accountability is more the key for me. There are just days that the motivation is not enough for me (we all have a thousand reasons (aka motivations)), but have some built in accountability really works for me. It is actually why I had original signed up with a personal trainer last summer & it was the BEST thing I ever did for myself. Because I used a small gym where the owners are the trainers & are always there even on the days I worked out by myself I knew they would be there & notice if I didn't show & what kind of workouts I had when I did show.

It may be sad but I know for myself I will NOT disappoint someone else - but I have no problem disappointing myself. Sigh!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:06 AM   #7  

Height: 5'6''

So much belly fat here... I wear only maternity pants.

Sh, don't tell, that's one of my dirty little secrets... but they fit SO well compared to regular pants.

Ironic, no? The mostly-infertile girl wearing the preg pants...
Learning2Live4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I was an hour-glass up until about 2 years ago. Wine (although heart-healthy) totally destroyed my flat tummy. Now I'm trying to get rid of it. I find that going to bed hungry/limiting carbs at dinner is the greatest thing. It just shrinks away! If only I could stick with it!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/283/???

Height: 5'5"

I have the same problem but feel so discouraged. Thanks Michelle for the inspo. I guess there is hope. Lol. I was beginning to wonder if having IR was like a living nightmare. It sure makes losing weight seem impossible. Does the belly fat really start falling off with limiting carbs and food in the evening? I thought about skipping dinner or something just so that I can just stop gaining. It seems like all I ever do is gain....
cathexis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote