PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:08 AM   #46  
HE'S my motivation!

S/C/G: 238.8 / 238.8 / 140

Height: 5'3

*Peeks through one eye* Is it Friday yet?

Oh man Oh man. I know not everyone here is religious but for the ones who are can you please pray for me?

I am crossing my fingers that my income tax money is not garnished by the school I owe money to. They garnish my checks and I called today asking them if they are going to garnish my income tax money and they said maybe, maybe not. *sigh* I hate those answers.

Second, I pray that either the cute apartment that is really cheap is still up for rent by the time we come up with the deposit ($2000 in 4 months) or something better is available in the area we want to move to.

I will be stressing about this until the day it happens so please feel free to bypass my posts haha

*Peeks again* Ok ... Saturday? Darn! LOL
Nicoyaangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 233/190/150

Height: 5'1

Hey keep your head up and try and find some way to relax. You know that when you stress you get hungrier plus your body does not burn those pounds. So I know it is hard not to think about things, but try and at least relax and come up with a plan to fix it. Keep your head up!!
WeightSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #48  
HE'S my motivation!

Oh wow, I didnt know that. Yea, I do need to about this whole situation. Its very stressful but I do need to lose the weight. Thank you weight!

Last night I had an awesome work out!!! 128 minutes and 1158 burned calories later and I was tiiirreeddd haha. But it felt good. I cant wait until my little guy (on my signature) starts moving to the right.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #49  

Wow!!! Great job on the work out!!!! That is a long time to stay working out. I wish I had that stamina to keep going but I don't. I get tired so fast I do push myself but I can only push me so far. I do about 20 min on the treadmil, 10 min on the bike and then for about 20 min I do weight training. What is your excercise regime?

Keep up the good work!!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Default Hi Girls!

Just ran across your posts randomly and was seeing if you guys needed another buddy! I figured I could round out the map - I see California, Florida, Georgia and I'm a New Yorker! I can't say I won't be crabby at times when it's -17 here and you guys wake up to sunshine But I'm 27 and was just officially diagnosed with PCOS 1 week ago. I'm always on the internet as well and am a total optimist, so if you girls are having a bad day/hour/week just let me know! I'd love to share my experiences in the hopes I can help!

Hope everyone is having a lovely day!
SoulCyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 245/229/140

Height: 5'2"

I am in FL as well and need a buddy. I have struggled with PCOS for going on 11 years now. Been married for 5 and have been trying to bring the weight down so we can try to get pregnet. The doctor said its not safe at my weight. Need to knock out 29 more pound to be under 200.

I allways online as well as I telecommute from home for my sales job. Its a stressfull job and sometimes causes those binges we all experience. But I try to do other things some times. Just doesn't always work : )

I will be your buddy. Will you be mine ?
Sorcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #52  

Welcome SoulCyster and Sorcha!!!! You gals are more than welcome to join us on this fight to lose weight with PCOS.

I think by sharring our experiences and what works for us will help us conquer this syndorome that who knows how we got it and there is no medical treatment for....sucks!!!

What kind of diet and excercise plan are you guys following???

Personally I have found that if I decrease my carbs I lose weight plus it regulates my period. I have a 7 year old son and we have been trying to conceive since 2005 with no luck. The dr told me if I loose some weight it would help me. I took clomid last year but did not work. I honestly think if I loose this weight I will get pregnant. I am determined to give it my all this time and for the rest of my life.

List your symptoms:

My symptoms are:
Over weight
Acne on my back, some on face
Hairy all over (I hate the hair on my toes, gross LOL, and I must shave everyday)
Fatigue
Irregular periods (about 1 period a year)
Infertility

Well, ladies have a great day and lets keep it together!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #53  
HE'S my motivation!

Welcome aboard!!!

My goal is to lose some weight by Feb. 22nd so when I go see my dr. I can maaaybe start something. I hope so! Me and my boyfriend would also like to get pregnant but because of PCOS its not possible.

I HATE the hair. My dad said he is willing to pay for the hair removal. I just want it off my face but its everywhere. bleh
Old 01-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 245/229/140

Height: 5'2"

I lose the most weight on atkins but I honestly hate it. I had some success on WW last year. Lost 15 pounds and it has stayed off. At my highest weight I was 250. I am down to 229. I am now back on WW watchers and try to walk at least 30 minutes each day. If it was warmer or the pool was heated I would swim.

I battle with:
Weight Gain put on 120 pounds when I went off Birth Control Pills
Elevated Cholesterol (controled by diet)
Elevated blood preasure (take a diuretic daily)
Insulin resistence (1000mg glucuphage daily)
Hirsutism (mainly chin, upper lip, stomach and a few stagley hairs on upper chest...but none on toes)
Infertility (failed attempt at Clomid) told to be under 200 pds to attempt again.
Insomnia
Mood swings

So that is me in a nut shell....I need to lose the weight as I feel I need to be a mommy before I turn 40 and I got five years to do it.

Suggestions, help and companionship much appreciated.

Sorcha
Sorcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #55  
Just A Rolling Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcha View Post
I am in FL as well and need a buddy. I have struggled with PCOS for going on 11 years now. Been married for 5 and have been trying to bring the weight down so we can try to get pregnet. The doctor said its not safe at my weight. Need to knock out 29 more pound to be under 200.

I allways online as well as I telecommute from home for my sales job. Its a stressfull job and sometimes causes those binges we all experience. But I try to do other things some times. Just doesn't always work : )

I will be your buddy. Will you be mine ?

Welcome, you basically just wrote my life

Welcome to our little group! I hope the we can encourage you and lift you up!
akapjthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 PM   #56  

Hello ladies!

Nice to meet everyone

I was just officially diagnosed by my Endo last week but have been struggling for years not knowing what it was. SO FRUSTRATING! Long story short, I have been on BC since I was 16 to control the periods and had no idea I had PCOS. I battled acne and weight gain in high school, but had some success with Atkins. Two years ago I started having a terrible time with recurring yeast infections and my GYN at the time was doing nothing, so I got a new one! She immediately thought to test me for PCOS, and whaddya know - I'm a cyster!

So today I'm currently on Glumetza, which my Dr. told me has much less side effects than Metformin. I believe they're the same drug, only Met is the generic. I'm on 1000 MG right now but will work up to 2000 mg in the next few weeks. My main concern with PCOS right now is staying on top of it for when I do want to have children. The other is the issue with losing weight - it's so hard as we all know! I did lose about 10 lbs though before I was even on medication by kicking my own a** at the gym! I was doing 1-hour aerobic classes (kickboxing, step, cardio) 4 times a week. It was slow going, but the weight came off. As soon I stopped though it crept back on.

I just started the South Beach Diet last week per my Endo's recommendation so I will keep you posted on how it goes! It sounds perfect for PCOS-ers as it teaches your body not to crave the carbs/sugar - which is totally me. Loaf of Italian bread for dinner? Yes please!! And I don't know about you girls, but I don't have the disciple for WW. I can't bother with the counting and the weighing and adding etc. You put pizza in front of me, I'm not going to stop at one. So I'm better with a diet that cuts it out altogether at first. I was leery of SB, but I think I can do this. I will let you know!!

Struggles:
Weight gain/not losing
Some hair - chin, toes, chest
Irregular/heavy periods off BC - currently on Loestrin FE
Recurring YI's

Current Exercise:
Dance (Jazz, Tap) 1 hour, 2 nights a week
1-Hour Cardio classes when I can fit them in (2-3 times a week)

Suggestions:
Endo recommended Yaz BC for PCOS-ers. She said it helps with symptoms more than others.

Have a Happy Hump Day tomorrow!

P.S. Sorcha, if you tried Atkins and had success on that, try South Beach! It has had rave reviews and I DESPISED Atkins, but so far this is MUCH better! It offers so much more to eat than Atkins.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #57  
Just A Rolling Stone

I had awesome success with South Beach two years ago and I'm starting myself back on phase one tomorrow.

I'm so happy to see so many new faces.

We can do this!
akapjthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #58  

Good morning ladies!!! Happy hump day!!!! yes just two more days to go and the weekend is here.........!

Well, today was WI day for me.....and I am happy to say that I lost 5 lbs!!!! This is great great for me!!!! It usually is really hard for me to loose 1 lb. So in two weeks I have lost a total of 10 lbs. I guess hard work does pay off. I shall keep going on my fight to lose weight.

Hope all of you have a wonderful day and remember to stay away from those bad, bad foods!!!! Drink lots and lots of water..........
Old 01-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #59  

Hello everyone-
Welcome to those who are new. I'm with soulcyster on it being much colder here than where everyone else is but Maryland still isn't as cold as New York! has anyone else's doctor talked to them about insulin resistance? It kind of explains why carbs and sugar are so bad for cysters. womentowomen is a great site for anyone who wants some more info on it. I don't have a lot of extra hair but I have acne on my back that is the worst. I use zinc and a natural facial cleansing pad by a group called desert essences. Its full of tea tree oil and has actually started clearing up my back for the first time in 6 months.I also have weight gain and serious fatigue. How do you get motviated past the fatigue to excercise? Especially when its cold out!!
pedsowk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #60  

Default Evenin' Ladies

Yea yea everyone laugh at the girl in Siberacuse Not bad today though, a whopping 27!

I just got back from my first trip the actual gym in about 4 months! I almost cried when I got there and there was a sign up that said the instructor had an emergency and there would be no class - I was like is this a sign from God I can go home and watch TV??? Noooo. Within 30 seconds someone walked up and said they found a sub. So I kicked my butt for 1 hour and I have a Jazz class later tonight too. We'll see how long I can keep this up

How is everyone else feeling today?!? I had a terrible run-in with a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie earlier. There was a Board meeting at work today so I ordered them lunch and these amazing cookies came with it. I had to walk away!! I was this close to eating one.

peds - my Dr. did talk to me about insulin resistance and recommended Atkins or South Beach for me. It all makes sense now! I don't suffer too much from fatigue luckily, but I do have a motivational problem. If I can't seem to muster up enough energy for a full workout, I actually have a stability ball and a short DVD that's low intensity, but you're getting that strength training that's so good for you! Strength training builds muscles, and muscles burn fat! WE HATE FAT! ha ha. A little bit is better than nothing I always think.

Have a great night girls!! We can do this - 1 lb. at a time!