PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 12:07 PM   #1  
Natural Health Educator

Question natural PCOS solutions?

Hi there,
I am really new to this site, but i am really impressed, and excited about the support you are all offering to onw another. I actually saw this site two and a half years agao before I moved away form teh USA. I currently live on an island in the Caribbean and appreciate the internet as my link to my family and friends in the states.

I was diagneosed with PCOS three or four years ago, based on how I presented at my annual doctors visit. I am currently about 25 pounds overweight, and have gained and lost that weight probably four or five times in the last ten years. I suffer from Insulin resistance, though I like to run, and between excersize and low refined sugar in my diet I seem to be doing OK. My weight has gone as high as 180, (Iam 5 feet 6 inches tall) I also have the joyous "furrY" as myhubby calls it, upper lip, and THAT is probably the biggest curse of this disorder.

HOwever, i do have a question. Since I was diagnosed with this disorder I have been using natural progesterone cream by Emerita, on my belly and I will tell you what, it has regulated my cycles. I used to go three month between bleeding, and now I am regular, if you call once every 5-6 weeks regular. It has also reduced a lot of my PMS symtoms, and mysterious ovary pains.

I have been married five years now, though we have not concieved. I guess that is due to our preference not to, though we are not really "trying not to." Hubby says that is lords will i guess. Is anyone else using prgesterone cream? DOes it work for you? Any other natural herbs or remedys to recommend? I see a naturalpathic doctor, as well as a doctor who supports alternative medicine, so I am not doing this without supervision, I just wonder if anyone else is on my path....
Old 01-18-2002, 12:36 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Default Alpha Lipoic Acid

Hi Meow, funny you wrote this, I was going to ask something similar myself. I have not considered your form of treatment, but I have decided to stop taking Glucophage. (Actually I quit 4 days ago) I am going to start taking about 300mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid. I have been reading a lot about it and it seems to help with insulin resistance. Hopefully I can control that then the other symptoms of PCOS will fade away as well. If you are regulated and lacking pain, it sounds like it is working fine! Do you plan to have children in the future, or just not now? I hope it works your way!

Is anybody else taking ALA?
Old 01-18-2002, 01:48 PM   #3  
Natural Health Educator

Angry Thanks for your suggestion, and more about PCOS

Wow, jennifer thank you for your suggestion of the ALA. I will have to review that with my health practitioner. ( I am seeing a local nurse practioner, my doc-doc is in the states.) After sooooooo many health problems during the past ten years, many due to my reliance on alopathic doctors only, I am trying to have faith, and use more natural means to regulate my symtoms.

It is hard, since my sister studied medicine. She loves me a lot, but insists that her way is the right way. (you know how sisters can be) About 5 years ago I went to see a naturalpathic doctor who recommended I try a low refined carb diet. (The anti-candida diet.) The doctor explained that perhaps I had some sort of sugar sensitivity. But little showed up in my blood work. The diet however, worked wonders. I lost 35 pounds, and that was with eating up a storm, including lots of alternative sweeteners like rice syrup (No artificial ones.) THe PCOS symtoms subsided a bit, though at the time I was still unaware of my disorder. Once I went back to eating sugars and white flour the distress came back with a vengance. that was when the doctors asked me if I had heard of PCOS...

NOw, I can see why I did so well on that diet, and why when I excersize, (I like to run, when I am up for it...smile...) when i run consistantly, i lose weight like REALLY fast, so fast it scares me. Once I lost ten pounds in less than two months...THe doctors keep telling me I need to take this and do that. I got so sick of seeing ones in my family become more ill from the pills they were prescribed, that is why I hesitated. (Sis developed intestinal trouble from Accutane, and mom had reaction to antidepressants.) NOw, i try and focus on my faith, and eat right as best I can and excersize and stregnth train when I am up to it. If I dont exercise, even if I eat well, I still get depression, mood swings, and weight fluctuations.

I will look into the ALA. I had been told about some amino acids that might help me...maybe that is one of them? I will look on the net. Again, I thank all of you guys for such a fantastic site, I will try and not just lurk anymore!

PS. About the kids, we are thinking of it, just now with us being in on Margarita, (An island belonging to Venezuela) I think about prenatal care and cry. Here over 80 percent of babies are born cesarean, it is normal to do it that way and the docs look at you crazy if you say natural......I am not sure that is something I would CHoose if I could. I don't know. If someday I am to be a mom, maybe I will be able to handle the thought. Also I just hate thinking I would have to take hormones to make myself able to concieve. I guess that is one of the really sad things about PCOS, you can't make your body do something it doesn't want too!
Closed Thread