PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #1  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Default ~~~Weightloss with PCOS~~~ August

Welcome to the Weightloss thread for August! Anyone is welcome to post in this thread about losing weight with PCOS! So come on out and post your plans, goals, victories, and struggles here!

May August be a successful month for everyone!
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #2  

July ended with me down a pound from my July 1st weight. Not enough progress to toot a horn about but my goal for August is to get below my January 1st weight as I am still 3lbs above it.

I really need to bust out some workouts if I want to make my exercise goal by Labor day. I just need to do it without making excuses.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

I stepped on the scale for my official weigh-in today and was totally shocked, pleased, and motivated! 303 baby! Four pounds to go before I'm done with the 300's! I was honestly expecting to be the same or up from my last official weigh in of 306. I was so motivated that I ate right today AND exercised. Exercise is my biggest hurtle...Walk Away The Pounds videos are easy to do and they get me sweating, but I'm just so lazy.

Now that I'm done dancing around the thread about my little victory, lol...I was wondering what people have changed (diet-wise) to help them lose weight with PCOS. Any particular diets that are PCOS-friendly?
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #4  
Esse Quam Videri

S/C/G: 160/141/130

Height: 5' 3"

I'm down another pound, putting me exactly 10 pounds from goal weight, but I've hit a major obstacle

I have a rare eye disorder threatening to blind me. I am going to go get it taken care of the best I can, but I'm going to be in others' care for a week or two, which means I may not get the food I would like, and I certainly won't get the exercise.

But, what's a few pounds in the face of going blind? I'll take it - I can lose the weight later. My sight is important NOW.
Marinewife05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #5  
restarted

S/C/G: 233/229/175

Height: 5'7"

Yes - the eye issue is definitly #1 right now! I hope that everything goes well for you! I hope that your husband is home with you through all of this.

I am just start my weightloss journey... I hope that for the first time in a long time that it speeds along!
Coffee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Good luck Marine's wife!

I have been busting my butt but every time I step on the scale I find I am up more. I'm so discouraged. Hopefully just a temporary situation but I needed to vent!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinePrincess View Post

Now that I'm done dancing around the thread about my little victory, lol...I was wondering what people have changed (diet-wise) to help them lose weight with PCOS. Any particular diets that are PCOS-friendly?
Good question? I was just diagnosed with PCOS and was wondering the same thing. Anybody? I've heard that low carb may work best.
Karma27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:25 PM   #8  
Esse Quam Videri

S/C/G: 160/141/130

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Luver View Post
Yes - the eye issue is definitly #1 right now! I hope that everything goes well for you! I hope that your husband is home with you through all of this.

I am just start my weightloss journey... I hope that for the first time in a long time that it speeds along!

Hubby is actually NOT home. He is deployed for a year. But the good news is, that I was only in other's care for a day and half, so I am back on the diet tomorrow! The procedure went GREAT and I should know in a few weeks how my vision is going to be. A girl from a TTC board I am on (though obviously TTC is way on hold with deployment in progress) lives near by and took me in while I was undergoing my procedure. She is an ANGEL.
Marinewife05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 339.5/329/180

Height: 5'7"

Angry Aaaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!

I just wanted to say thaat I have gained back all but one pound of that ten I lost!!! I really don't know how. I am averaging about 1600 cal. a day and am GAINING weight!!!!! this is soooo frustrating!!!!!!
NDupler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #10  

Marineprincess: wTG on the weight loss! Keep it up!

Marinewife: Glad to hear that your surgery went well and that you were able to get back on your own much quicker than you thought.

Karma & Marineprincess: The general concensus is that a controlled carb diet works best for PCOS. I know that my own best success is when I limit my carbs to less than 175g per day. This is significantly higher than atkins and falls more into South beach. Exercise is extremely important too because it helps kick the metabolism into high gear.

Ndupler: Sorry about your upsetting scale reading. Could it have anything to do with your monthly cycle? I know that I gain weight at various times in my cycle and have to keep track of which week it is to know if it is most likely water weight or real weight. Did you make any drastic changes or eat a lot of carbs/sodium?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know what to do. I know what to do. I know what to do.
This has to be my mantra right now as I am flatlined and it is making it difficult to get up off the couch.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:42 PM   #11  

August 15th... weight still the same as the 1st. No change.
blah

Could be worse though.

Hope that everyone is having a busy but healthy month!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 260/258/150

Height: 5'3''

i have pcos too and yeah a low carb diet is a good way to shed pounds... also eating smaller prtions and 3 meals a day and two snacks....
i stopped drinking a lot of juices and started drinking more water. i didnt realize how many calories i was consuming just in the stuff i drank!! also dont forget to exercise!!!
netty3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 249/204/125

Height: 5'3"

Hi, I'm new around here. I was diagnosed last year. I have found that the only diet that works for me is South Beach. I'm re-starting next week, as soon as I can get some shopping done. My sugar levels stay so much more in control with that way of eating, no major crashes. So I'm hoping to get the scales moving soon. I want to get under 200 by Oct.
Good luck to everyone with your goals!
nursekathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

This is my first post- I'm a new user- I was diagnosed w/PCOS a few weeks back and finally opened the South Beach Diet book that I've had- how soon do you start to see relief from symptoms once you cut sugar??
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #15  

I am new here. I have PCOS and am taking 1500 mg of Glucophage, DH and I were TTC have put that on hold (decided to take a "break") Its really stressful. I have been TTC for 3 years. I got on the scale this morning and was down 1 lb.
RLG1023 is offline   Reply With Quote