PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:38 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 230/230/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDupler View Post
I took Metformin for a while. I didn't lose any weight, but my hair started falling out faster (odn't know if it was from the metformin.) I was also scared of the things I read about it so I stopped taking it. I found this recently, and I think I am going to check into it.

I hope it is OK to post websites on here: http://pcos.insulitelabs.com/PCOS-Elements.php

Might be worth a try...supposed to be natural.
I took this and noticed absolutely no change. I also took the Metformin and fell into a DEEP depression. I recently quit taking my Armour since my Thyroid ranges have stayed the same with or without it. I am going to try the exercise/diet routine for awhile and see if I can improve my symptoms naturally. Metformin did cause a lot of stomach upset but I have that anyway. The depression, I just couldn't deal with. Sleeping, sleeping and more sleeping made me barely functional.
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #17  

Height: 5'4"

I've been on Metformin since at least 2001. It was horrible at first - I worked up to the max dose of 2450 mg and had a really bad time with the stomach issues. After a while they went away. I did not lose ANY weight until I started exercising and eating right last year. It is NOT a weight loss drug. It is a tool to help your body deal with its glucose and insulin issues which can make it easier to lose weight.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #18  

I looking for some direction for my daughter. She is 21 and was dx'd with PCOS last Fall. The Endo has her now on 1500 of glucophage. She's tolerating the glucophage, but she is having difficulty losing wt.---if anything, it has increased. She has started on a PCOS diet of approx. 1200 to 1600 cal/day and limiting her carbs. and sugar. She's also a college athlete, and has to stay in shape in the off-season. She does this by swimming approx. 3000-5000 yards 5X/week and lift weights. Why can't this girl lose the extra weight? Can anyone tell us the amt. of carbs appropriate for her to lose wt.?
MrMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:36 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

MrMom,

A normal woman who eats, let's say, a serving of carbs, i.e., 1 slice of bread, will burn 3/4 of those carbs as energy for normal bodily functioning, then store 1/4 of those carbs as fat. A woman with PCOS will STORE 3/4 of those carbs as FAT, and only burn 1/4 of those carbs as energy for normal bodily functioning. This is because we are missing 3/4 of the insulin receptors as a normal person, so our cells do not know to burn those carbs. Instead, our bodies read 'carbs' as things to store. This can be corrected with diet and weight loss. But with PCOS, weight loss can seem IMPOSSIBLE, so it's like a double-edged sword. A woman needs to lose weight to correct the problem, but the problem is hindering her from losing weight.

There are many options to combat this, but there are two VERY good options I'll list below:

For rapid weight loss there is always an Atkins-type diet (no, that doesn't mean downing bacon and blocks of cheese). Sticking to less than 20g net carbs per day, and eating primarily veggies (4-5 cups per day), limited fruit, and lean, organic, low-salt protein, such as fish, poultry and tofu. NO sugar, NO processed meats, and NO grains such as flours, corn, potatoes, etc. This is extreme, but I've found I can lose over 1lb per day when doing this. It's because it forces the body to burn it's own fat reserves.

Then there is a more moderate diet as explained in the book "The Patient's Guide to PCOS", in which the body can handle no more than 30g crabs within a 2-hour period, and it must be paired with at least 15g of protein. The book explains that a PCOS woman's body will store anything in excess of 30g net carbs at one time (or within a 2-hour period), and only as long as the protein is eaten with it, to prevent the carbs from being converted right to fat.

The bottom line is that a woman with PCOS more often than not needs to eat less, and less carbs, and workout MORE to lose weight, compared to a normal woman. We must put in twice the effort.

Your daughter is already working out correctly. Buidling muscle is key to fixing a PCOS'as metabolism, probably even more valuable than cardio. She is changing the make up of her body, which is essential.

As for her diet, is she carb tapering? (i.e., eating carbs ONLY in the A.M., and then leaving nothing but veggies and protein after lunch). I also find this method is very powerful. Any carb, even if it's healthy, will show up on the scale for me the next morning, if I eat it past 3pm.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #20  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Thank you for the great information here - particularly Michelle125 and KCmedc. I was just prescribed Metformin and the tips you presented will really help me with my planning.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #21  
WW Moderator

Hi Mr Mom, I have some questions/suggestions.

How much does your daughter weigh? If she weighs 250, that may be a good amount of calories for her, but if she weighs 150, she might have to cut down even more.

Does your daughter do any other cardio other than swimming? Mixing it up is important. Throwing in time on the elliptical or treadmill could be a big help. Her body may be getting efficient and storing the calories instead of letting them burn.

Is she on birth control pills? Insulin is a hormone, and even if she doesn't need to use birth control, it may help regulate other hormones. They all have a crazy balance together, like the age of Aquarius!

She sounds like she's working her butt off at staying in shape and doing things right. If she could get in with a dietitian, that would be great. They can get a detailed medical history from her and maybe suggest supplements or a different eating program. Most dietitians should be current with PCOS problems. If you get her an appt, you might want to call around and ask if they have many PCOS patients. Endocrinologists also frequently employ them in their practice since many of their patients require special diets. I've seen one with my endo and also at an integrative medical facility, and they were both immensely helpful.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote