Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #1  
A new begining!

S/C/G: 263/240/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Does being pagan influence you to lose weight

For me being pagan is a big influence on me to lose weight. I have learned about eating whole foods that come from the earth. I learned about natural healing and how there must be balance. I feel such inspiration from nature and the peace I feel when Hiking up a large hill and looking down once I have reached the top.

Just wondering if being pagan has helped you on you weight loss journey?
Elijahs phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #2  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

I think it has. I think my beliefs have helped me to understand how important it is to take better care of myself and to be healthier. Also, I rely on my beliefs (and my strength!!) to just help me on the weight loss journey.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #3  
Crazy Cat Woman

S/C/G: 284/274/165

Height: 5' 4"

Still being new and fumbling around, I would still say yes to this. Paganism has made me all the more conscious of the beauty of the natural world, and the bounty that exists at our fingertips if we choose to nurture it. As was said, being in balance inspires me to find the balance in myself, both healthwise and spiritually, which includes eating natural whole foods and getting my weight under control. I would not say that I feel any kind of pressure about it, either. I think the God and Goddess love us all as we are.
duckchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #4  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

oh for sure it does alot I think as Duckchick said it is about wanting to find balance body, mind and soul. This body is my temple and I should treat myself as the Goddess. ya know?

Also there is the thought of how my greedy, selfish fat lifestyle plays a role on the earth, the enviroment. How I am taking and not giving back. I think we need to strive for that balance as well. That has been a big issue for me recently with wanting to eat healthier and going vegetarian as well.

Plus yes I want to hike and connect with nature and it is all so hard to do sitting on my couch inf ront of the tv lol. I love walking and being outside.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #5  
Crazy Cat Woman

Hey Moonkissed! I love taking long walks, and wish I lived close to a nature trail, but I'll find one. Even now, when it's so hot, I find beauty in all the life buzzing, flying, and moving everywhere. I love my truck, but I'm also getting to where the gas fumes nauseate me. What a pickle!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to fall and Samhain and the new crops that will be available at harvest time. I'm already planning winter squash recipes and looking forward to the sabbats to celebrate! Wooot, it's going to be fun!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:50 AM   #6  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Being Pagan (wican if you want to narrow it down) really changed the way I veiw myself and the world around me...mostly about how I treat my body.
I slowly became a vegitarian...eating meat only on special days. Holidays, birthdays Ect. I started eating less fake food and more whole foods.
It hit me mostly when we decided to slaughter some of our old laying hens (and a roster) for meat. This was a living thing that we raised and cared for and gave it everything it needed to be happy and healthy and it gave us eggs in return and when they stopped laying it was time for them to go. Now I can hardly look at meat without thinking of the living animal it use to be and how I should be so very thankful that I'm eating it. (and it makes those special days that much more special)

I'm more aware of what I put in my body now. Like Moonkissed said my body is a temple and I need to treat it better. I need to care and feed myself better than I did in the past.

Lughnasad was just last week Aug 1..it's the first of the harvest sabbats. Though it's still the dead of summer here in Az, the days are shorter, I have to push my sunrise walk back a bit more each week.
Mabon is September 22...the second Harvest festival. (cornucopia time!)
Then you have Samhain Oct. 31, the pagan New Year and the last of the harvest sabats. My BF and I finally got it off from work this year! Woot! I can't wait.

I also love how being pagan has me more in tune with nature, and i'm able to calm down and be less stressed. I've had a very crazy year and Normally I would be a mess...but simple meditation, sitting outside very early in the morning before the sun cooks everything...it settles everything in my mind.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #7  
Crazy Cat Woman

Sakai, what a lovely, introspective post! I love how clearly, yet simply you state your profound realizations and beliefs, and how they made me think of meat in a way I haven't before. Don't get me wrong, I've always felt I understood where vegetarians and vegans were coming from, but your post is the first to put it in a perspective I actually get. I am truly thankful for the food I eat, but perhaps I have lost sight of how thankful I should be for the food that nourishes my body. I think I will endeavor to remember all the small blessings, and the small sacrifices, that make my life a healthy and happy one!

My little sister's birthday is right on Lughnasad. We had a b-day bash/baby shower combo for her on that day, which was a great excuse for me to celebrate! She's carrying a son, and I'm hoping my li'l nephew will choose to be born on Samhain! His official due date is Nov. 6, and I've been tols that the first is usually late, but a girl can dream, can't she?

My sister is actually amused at this sad attempt of mine to live vicariously through her. Good thing we love each other!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #8  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

lol my birthday is actually september 22! Ofcourse the Autumn Equinox is my favorite holiday as well

I do think the festivals put food and celebration in a whole brand new light to me. Making me think of when people couldn't run to the nearest store to grab what they need anytime they wish and to be really thankful of what they had and where it came from. and ofcourse so many people in the world are still like that. Puts things into perspective.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #9  

For me, being pagan came long before the weight gain and has been part of me since I reached a sentient state. There was never a time I did not see myself as a part of the earth and therefore somehow related to every other creature, vegetation and so forth. My body is unable to properly assimilate plant proteins no matter what combination they come in, my teenage stint as a vegan Wiccan probably went a long way towards insuring my infertility; and yes the malnourishment eating at my ovaries and hair follicles was diagnosed by a physician (who himself was an Indonesian vegetarian). Anyway, it has probably been my realization that my DNA is quite solidly set to northern parameters that has effected somewhat the the gods and goddesses that I owe a bit more fealty to, because it is those ancestor's spirits that live in me today.

Last edited by sheski; 08-11-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling and typographical errors
sheski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 AM   #10  
Crazy Cat Woman

Hi Sheski! Great to meet you!

I'm so sorry about the problems you've faced with your food intake. I hope you can find balance and love as you continue through this life!

Wow...your entire life? I wish I hadn't allowed my old religious fears to hold me back so much. I have so much to learn!