Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/215/160

Height: 5 ft 5

Default Help, do i choose Jenny Craig, or Nutrisystem?

Please let me know if you've tried both, the goods and bads, on both programs.
campbellredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have tried Nutrisystem food before...and so has one of the administrators, and I also know people who have went on Jenny Craig. Here are some of the differences that I know of right off that may help you decide:

~Nutrisystem is an at home program-as in, there is no center for you to go into each week to get face to face counseling, and to get your food and weigh in. They have their website, and if you need to speak to a counselor about a question or concern, you log into their website and can be directed to an online counselor who can "chat" with you instead about your issues.

The food from Nutrisystem is "shelf stable", meaning that it can all be stored and shipped at room temperature. It is usually shipped via UPS if it is a large order, or by USPS if it is a small order.

Because the food is shelf stable, it means that a lot of the entrees are either dehydrated (like cup-a-soup), shelf stable canned (like Chef Boyardee, Dinty Moore beef stew, and canned soup are) or full entrees that are shelf stable packed-that you microwave.

One of the positives about NS is that you don't have to sign any contract to do the plan for a certain amount of time. The food costs a certain amount per week or per month (depending on how you set up your orders) and when/if you want to stop doing it-you just cancel any future orders and stop. The counseling online, the online forum, etc. are all included in the basic food cost.

With Jenny Craig-there is a choice. You can either go to a local center...or you can do their Jenny Direct/at home plan. (Check out their website for that option.) You DO sign up for a certain amount of time on the plan-but they often have shorter "try me" specials so you aren't automatically signing up for a year...some of the specials are the "20 pounds for $20" and other promotions, which you can look up on their site. There is the joining fee...and then the cost of food on top of that.

With the actual centers-you go in, weigh in, and can get counseling face to face. If you go to a center, you can get some of their shelf stable entrees and snacks...but you can also get some of their frozen entrees as well...and in my personal opinion, a lot of frozen meals simply taste better than the shelf stable ones. With the Jenny online program-the choices are more like NS, where they are shelf stable and can be shipped to you. Jenny Craig also has an online forum, and other things available as well.

There are pros and cons to each one, really-the no contract is a big plus for NS...but the option of better tasting frozen choices as well at your local center is a plus for JC. Other than that, it is really the decision on whether you want to do it on your own, or go to a center and weigh in...and that sort of thing.

With either one, to see if you like the food-you can go online and try a few items to see first. Jenny Craig has a sample pack in their online store that has a couple shelf stable entrees and snacks, and a coupon off your joining fee. With NS, you can go to their site and choose to order an "a la carte" order rather than buying a full week or month of food-and you can choose an entree or two and a few snacks and just try them out if you would like before you spend a lot of money on a full order.

I hope that I have helped.

Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #3  

Default Thank you

I went to Jenny Craig today, i was a little dissappointed it is more money that nutrisystem, i paid $115.00 for 1 week of food, that they picked out to try different stuff.

and $20.00 for 20 lbs.

so like $460.00 a month

where nutrisystem is like $300.00 a month,

but yeah i've heard the food is better,

Thank you so much!
Old 07-01-2006, 06:21 AM   #4  
Under His mercy

Height: 5'9"

I've been doing Jenny Craig since May 13 and have lost 22 lbs. I love the food and it is really easy to stick to. The counselors are great and I've had an overall great experience. To me, it's worth every penny and I wish I would have started earlier but at least I'm doing it now! I love not having to plan, measure and cook meals. Luckily, my daughter and husband are also eating this way.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #5  

Hey, I hope to find some Jenny Craigers here.

I started the end of May, but the last couple of weeks I haven't really followed. The first 3 weeks I lost 12lbs. My son is getting married this friday and it's been crazy so I can't wait til it's over so I can get back on the program. I went with the long term. Expensive to sign up but you get discounts on the food that increase every 10 weeks until you get to 35% off.

I think the food is really good. And my blood sugars(I'm diabetic) are much better when I follow the program. Now to get my butt in gear and exercise.
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #6  
Under His mercy

Height: 5'9"

Hey Donna, I went with the long term also and I think it is definitely worth every penny. I started mid May and I really like the program. Jenny Craig members have our own thread. Just look a little further down on the general diet plans section. See you there!
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/186/130

Height: 5'6

I did Jenny Craig last year and really liked it. I thought the frozen foods were great. I found that when I ordered basic items like cereal for each breakfast rather than the frozen items I was able to save money. I did prefer the frozen lunches and dinners to the shelf stable foods though. I would go back on the program if I had a bit more money to spend on food. It's a shame because there's a Jenny location literally across the street from my apartment. Talk about convienent!
krissyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:08 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellredhead
Please let me know if you've tried both, the goods and bads, on both programs.
Forget either one, OK I haven't tried Jenny Craig but I did try Nutrisystem and I got sick of the food after a couple of weeks. I am on eDiets Express now and I have had fantastic results and after almost 4 months on the program I still enjoy the food every day. The eDiets food is cooked fresh and sent vacuum-sealed, unlike Nutrisystems which was mostly freeze dried. The variety of food is also much much better on eDiets from what I can tell. I am down over 30 pounds on this program so far and really haven't changed my lifestyle a whole lot other than sticking to the eDiets meals and some walking each night. They also have online and over the phone diet counselors on eDiets that you can use but so far I haven't even bothered calling because I am satisfied. Good luck with whatever you decide.
monami1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #9  
Gypsy Goddess

S/C/G: 209\144\113

Height: 5'7

How is the price on e-diets compared to the others?
Nirvanagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:51 PM   #10  

Hey Guys, Thanks To Everyone Who Responded!!!!!!!

I Did Jenny Craig For 2 Weeks, Loved It, But Too Expensive.

So I Joined Nutrisystem, Not As Good, But Pretty Good, and
Less Expensive.
This Is My 3rd Week.

*hugs*

Thanks Again
God Bless

Jenny
Old 11-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #11  

Default jc vs nutrisystem

i did jenny craig for a month this summer.it was very expensive i.e.500$for a month.i don't live near a center {in nova scotia}so couldn't get any frozen foods and did not have a say in what i wanted.the counsellor never called when she said she would and i found that very in convenient.
i just called the center and told them not to bother me again.
i tried nutrisystem before too.i loved the snacks and breakfast but had a supper entree i didn't like.i sent the food back.
now having second thoughts ,i ordered another month and was choosier in my meal selection.it was only 370$ canadian for a month.i figured that wasn't bad considering what i would be spending on takeout and trips to the liquer store for wine.i am single so figure it would be very convenient too.
forest faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #12  

I have tried both. JC's food tastes way better, but it is a lot more expensive than NS. I have bought NutriSystem food on Craiglist, and more recently from a friend of mine (who did not want to continue on it after 5 months and sold me a whole box of food), but I did not like most of the dinner selections, some are plain yucky. Now I am forcing myself to finish the box! I wish NS could find a way to improve the taste of their food. I suggest to anyone considering NS to buy some NS food from a friend or at Ebay so thay can try it prior to making a commitment. Unfortunately we don't have that option with JC because their food is frozen. But I don't think you need to try JC's food prior to commit to it, because it is really tasty. It is basically up to how much you can spend and what your taste in food is.
miniwheatfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

NS food is mediocre at best. Jenny Craig's food is better and of course you get the one-on-one face to face counseling. Iv'e done them both and decided I was not going to pay someone to tell me what to eat and went to calorie counting on my own and it works for me. If you want the food prepared for you and portioned for you then you might not mind the expense.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #14  

Default More on prepackaged and frozen food diets

I forgot that NS now has frozen meals... I have not tried them, but I think they should be tastier than the non-frozen variety. I also think they are more expensive than the regular meals. I also forgot to add that I did lose weight both on NS and JC. But as with any diet, you need to be careful after you're done with the diet, because you can quickly gain the weight back if you're not careful.

If you like prepackaged meals because of their convenience, but want to save money, there is actually a Frozen Food diet out there which I copied from the Internet. It includes frozen meals like Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, etc, plus other pre-packaged foods. This information is from the diet's description:

"A frozen-food diet was first introduced in Good Housekeeping magazine in September of 1998. In October of 2005 Good Housekeeping debuted a new frozen-food diet that consisted entirely of microwave-able meals."

I am sure if you search for it, you will find it (I am not sure if I can post the link here.) Good luck!
miniwheatfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #15  

It's really all about preference. I believe JC was around a bit longer so they've had more time to tweak things to cater more directly to the consumer's taste, but both have items I like and both also have some I dislike. I'd say best thin would be if you could get a week sample of each and test them out for yourself, or buy some of the stuff directly without a plan and see which one you think you'll be able to handle more willingly over a few months.
FattyFatFat is offline   Reply With Quote