Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 242/210/120

Height: 5'5"

Welcome punmama! Nice to have another newbie here to share the journey with. I had the headaches for a few days but now none. Feeling better and better as my blood sugar goes down.

Well, zoesmama, that's quite a story! Thanks for sharing. Medical reasons are certainly more a part of it at my age than vanity, but I am glad to have hope to fit into those bins of smaller clothes I've been keeping around for years now. I'm all set for cute wardrobe already, so bring it on WS!

Last night I had LF colbyjack grilled on a diet wheat bun in the toaster oven and broccoli. I must say, I'm getting picky about my broccoli already. I don't like cuts, I like spears. I don't like frozen, I like fresh.

Last edited by Nimblegranny; 05-20-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #32  

punmama, I know you aren't a newbie, I don't mean newbie I guess, I just mean starting the WS plan anew. There IS a difference. So welcome to that!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimblegranny View Post
Welcome punmama! Nice to have another newbie here to share the journey with. I had the headaches for a few days but now none. Feeling better and better as my blood sugar goes down.

Well, zoesmama, that's quite a story! Thanks for sharing. Medical reasons are certainly more a part of it at my age than vanity, but I am glad to have hope to fit into those bins of smaller clothes I've been keeping around for years now. I'm all set for cute wardrobe already, so bring it on WS!

Last night I had LF colbyjack grilled on a diet wheat bun in the toaster oven and broccoli. I must say, I'm getting picky about my broccoli already. I don't like cuts, I like spears. I don't like frozen, I like fresh.
No sweat Nimble

Oh...and you should try "apple" zuchinni or zuchinni chips if you are getting burnt out on brocolli. Super easy to make and SUPER tastey...and I hate zuchinni! Also, if you you want a low starch/carb alternative to potatoes, rutabaga makes an awesome substitute and makes a mean "french fry" or a tastey mashed dish. Kale makes a tastey and crunchy chip. Cauliflower makes a pretty decent mashed potato or rice. And...huh...that's all I can think of on the spur of the moment But like you, I used to prefer frozen. Now, not so much. My once every two weeks shopping trips have now turned into once every two days. But, at least my stuff is tastey!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 165/151/110

Thanks for your support guys. I have a question concerning the soup. How do you guys prepare it? I bring my packets to work with me we have no access to boiling water. We have hot water from a spiggot in the kitchen but it is not boiling water. I don't want to schlepp a thermos with me to work since I have to walk to the train station every morning and I know what a mess that can get sometimes. Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #35  

zoesmom, how do you make these veggie chips that you say are so easy?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #36  

KALE CHIPS

-1 bunch of kale
-1 tablespoon olice oil
-1 teaspoon sea salt and/or other spices (per preference)

1.Preheat an oven to 275 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2.With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Toss kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
3.Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, for about 20 minutes.

Tips:
Baking too little results in limp kale pieces and baking too long causes a "burned" taste. Be sure to use the "curly" kale variety as it tend to be less bitter. Turn the kale half way through to ensure crispness on all sides. Use ONLY just enough oil to BARELY coat the leaves otherwise they'll stay soggy. DO NOT EXPECT them to taste like potato chips...but they ARE good.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #37  

BAKED ZUCHINNI CHIPS

- 1 to 2 zuchinni, sliced thin, roughly 1/8 of an inch thick
- a pinch of salt (be careful, too much salt will cause these babies to shrink A LOT, and they are already are going to shrink as is)
- pepper and other spices as desired(I use garlic and smoked paprika)
- Olive Oil spray (such as Pam)

Toss the slices with your salt and other spices. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper (trust me on this) and then spread the slices on top. Spray the tops, NOT the parchment paper, with the olive oil spray. They can be close together, but not touching, as they will shrink when baking.

Bake at 175 for 60-90 minutes, flip, then bake for another 60-90 minutes, or until crisp but not burnt. If you have a dehydrator, that would work too...just follow the instructions for that appliance.

Tips:
Try to pat these babies as dry as possible, or let them sit for a little (10-20 minutes) so excess moisture can be "wicked away" for optimial crispness. These are best eaten straight out of the oven while still warm. They become slightly chewy after an hour or so. You can alter the flavors anyway you want, for example, adding 1-2 tablespoons of Splenda or other sweetner of your choice with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon makes a great mock spiced apple chip.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #38  

BAKED RUTABAGA CHIPS

-1 large rutabaga, peeled and sliced thinly (can use a mandoline or a food processor)
-1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
-2 teaspoons salt
-1 teaspoon black pepper
-1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped finely

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a bowl, toss the rutabaga with the olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and the black pepper. Spread the rutabaga across the baking sheet so it fits in one layer. Bake for 30-35 minutes, flipping the pieces every 10 minutes. They will curl and turn crispy. If they need more time, put them in for another 5 minutes and check again until they are your desired consistency. Take them out of the oven. Transfer the chips in a bowl and toss with the remaining salt, maybe a touch of pepper, and the fresh rosemary (nutmeg is good too.)

Tips:
A standard kitchen peeler will not work well on a rutabaga. Some rutabagas are coated with wax before shipment to the produce market; this will not affect the taste or nutritional value of the vegetable. Using hot water will quickly melt the wax...or if you are lazy like me, wrap a damp paper towel over the root vegetable, and nuke it in the microwave for 3 minutes. This also makes it worlds easier to cut (and peel.) Rutabaga skin is edible but has a slightly bitter taste.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 169/159/135

Height: 5' 0''

Quote:
sorry irish, I am subjecting you to this...AGAIN!)
zoesmom I think it is worth repeating. Look how far you've come.

punmama I don't eat any kind of soup, so I am afraid I can not help with ideas.

So, I have gained a couple pounds and now must get back on track.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #40  

zoesmom, I've never eaten a rutabaga in my life. Wouldn't even begin to know what one looks like. SO that will be an adventure. Another friend has told me about kale chips. Will def try!

punmama, I am not a fan of the soups and sent all of mine back except for one box to have on sick days. I would think a microwave is the way to go, do you have one of those in the office? I would probably even try soaking the chicken noodle, as I do my macaronis, before nuking, because as I recall the soups just never seem to "gel" together enough for my liking. So I stick with the spicy and beefy macaronis for work lunches and they are perfect after sitting in hot water awhile first and then nuking. I do have a box of chili which I don't love either because it's so thin - so I could use some advice there too!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #41  

ACK! The soup! I forgot about that question! Sorry punmama!

Like you, my office only has a spigot. But, they also have a microwave. I have learned that if I make the soup with water as hot as I can get it from the tap, let it sit for 30 minutes in a mug (after briskly stirring), then nuke it for about a minute, it works just fine. I also have learned that I like the tomato soup cold (I know, I am sick and twisted.) So, I make that as if I was making one of my shakes, let it sit for about 15 minutes in the fridge (or with a few cubes of ice in it) and voila! Instant V8! Not really. But close enough. Mainly, I only use the soups if I am being lazy or if I know I am going to be traveling and will need to stop and eat. If I am traveling, all gas stations and restaurants have piping hot water (it is an attachement to industrial coffee makers), so getting hot water is never a problem in those instances. Worst of worse, I am sure there is a mock bread you can make using the soup packets. I've been wanting to experiement with that recently...maybe if I find the time in the near future, I will see if it really can be done. I mean, it should be doable...but then again, I am still in a learning curve when it comes to cooking complex whey protein. You would think that this ex-vegetarian would know how. Nope. Not even slightly. But I can cook a mean tofu alfredo! I guess that counts for something

irish - don't make me come up there! I get it though. I fell off the wagon this past weekend myself. Surprsingly, I didn't gain. I think my problem was I had all these wonderful plans with a huge group of family and friends that involved picnicing. I made ALL THIS WONDERFUL food, but packed MY stuff so I could join them...and then it rained (okay, it monsooned) and plans got canceled. So, suddenly, I had TONS of food that was going to NEVER get eaten. I was able to get rid of the sandwhiches by donating them to my kid's daycare class, along with the chips and the cookies. My hubby stole the potato salad, so that was no longer an issue. The only thing left was my mom's request that I make macoroni salad. Thankfully, it was a very small amount as only she and I like it...and I hadn't planned on eating any. Needless to say, I ate it since my mom never acquired it. BUT! It was only one cup then gone. THANK HEAVENS! Things could have gone a LOT worse! But, I get it. Things happen sometimes. Just get on back up and pick up where you left off. Today, I plan to exercise again. I've taken a 9 day break due to a pulled muscle in my back...it still hurts, but at least I can tolerate the pain now. I am itching for a run, but guess I shall keep to walking for a few days until the lingering pain abaits.

nimble - try adding xuam gum powder to stuff that needs to be thickened up And no help for the chili here...irish and I don't eat it, so I have NO idea how to help you out on that one!!!

Last edited by zoesmom; 05-21-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #42  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesmom View Post
: Come February, I was able to do more intense workouts, such as 30DS. I now can run a mile. My O2 tank is collecting dust as I haven't had to use it but once since February (and that was last week...grrrr.)

One more itty bitty pound and I hit my dear 50 lost. Loving this! I now weigh 3 pound less than I did when my husband met me
This is so inspiring, zoesmom. You HAVE come so far, as irish says!! I still don't have a lot of energy and I feel a lot is because my blood sugar is still high even more than the weight I'm carrying. It is fluctuating between normal and medium high WITH all my meds where two weeks ago before WS it was out of control HIGH all the time, especially at bedtime and first thing in the morning. It affects my eyesight, my gait (feet), and my energy in a very negative way, and I just am so hoping to see this number drop little by little as time goes by, and my energy to return.

I worry a little about the sugar in the replacements and snacks not being a good plan for me, keeping my sugar up, I don't find much in the way of discussion about this except for those saying they lost weight and thus their sugar levels were lowered.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #43  

Nimblegranny,
I am like you. I take medication for my Type II diabetes and have not really done anything about it but take the medication. I don't even check my blood sugar which i know I should. Just to darn scared to face the facts.
I started Wonder Slim on Saturday and it is working for me. I do not feel sluggish any more, can actually sleep like a baby again and have a lot of energy.
I am a sugarholic and would rather eat chocolate bars than meals so believe me this is a big step for me. Just hang in there and do it. Remember that next month will come no matter what you do so stay focused. I have temptations all the time at work since our cafe has all sorts of things to eat but I told myself that I am not going to touch anything. I had a scare last week where I thought I was going to have a heart attack. That scare made me more determined to get back on track. I am too young to die.

You want to play with your grandaughter and have fun with her and see her grow up. Your blood sugar will stablize to normal if you stay with it.
I really will be rooting for you.
Maria
Old 05-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #44  

Thank you all for your help with the soup and hot meals. I really actually like the stuff which I didn't think I would I guess my taste buds changed since last year.
I will try some of the suggestions.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #45  

Quote:
Originally Posted by punmama View Post
I don't even check my blood sugar which i know I should. Just to darn scared to face the facts.

punmama, I wasn't being compliant with my blood sugar either when I was eating the house down, because I knew it would be bad news. Then when I started WS I decided to watch those numbers come down too -- even more reinforcement! -- and they really are. You might like that reinforcement too.

I started Wonder Slim on Saturday and it is working for me. I do not feel sluggish any more, can actually sleep like a baby again and have a lot of energy.

This is so encouraging! And so fast too!

Just hang in there and do it. Remember that next month will come no matter what you do so stay focused. I have temptations all the time at work since our cafe has all sorts of things to eat but I told myself that I am not going to touch anything.

What amazes me is that I'm not hungry and I'm not tempted. The structure really works for me, and the easiness of it. There's no guessing. I heard somebody else say, you're either on plan or off plan, and you know it. I like that! So far, it's just a non-issue for me, I love that every day I can choose something to have and the rest is a no-brainer!

I had a scare last week where I thought I was going to have a heart attack. That scare made me more determined to get back on track. I am too young to die.

Nobody's dying here! We are all on another path now and going nowhere but up! Feeling hopeful about my future is the best part of the plan, to me!

You want to play with your grandaughter and have fun with her and see her grow up. Your blood sugar will stablize to normal if you stay with it.
I really will be rooting for you.
Maria
Thank you so much!
Closed Thread