Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

irish - that is SOOO freaking awesome!!!! I haven't even been in a size 4, not even when I was all slim and athletic and stuff prior to gaining double my size! You are absolutely amazing! When I grow up, I wanna be just like you!!!

Nimble - don't get caught up in a number. Some weeks, you will not lose an ounce. Some weeks you might go up (YIKES! ). Some weeks, you may only drop an ounce. And then, you might not budge for two months. And then, on the other side, you might lose two pounds....or five...or eight. Our bodies have an amazing ability to adapt quickly, so they like to do weird things. Like retain water. Or build muscle to replace fat. Or hold onto everything out of fear it might not get food for a while. It can be anything. The key thing is...are you going down? My overall averages are at 2.75 pounds a week. But I had weeks were I went up and I had a period of 6 weeks where I didn't budge an ounce. The averages are what you are going to be looking at. In addition to that, get a tape measure. Seriously. When I last weighted what I do today (which was 6 years ago), I was 18 inches overall larger. I have no idea how many inches I have lost total as I didn't start keeping track until recently, but I know it is a heck of a lot more than 18 inches as I got my hefty butt all the way up to 293 pounds. When the scale stalls, it is nice to see the inches go down anyways. And if you stay on plan, it WILL go down (hence irish losing her pants around her ankles.) And I am SO happy you have your blood sugar stable!!!! I keep telling my mom that this will help her, but she doesn't believe me. Glad you have proven me right (although I would NEVER tell her that!!!!) Absolutely amazing job

Last edited by zoesmom; 05-17-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 242/210/120

Height: 5'5"

Thanks zoesmom! I will get out my tape measure and make that part of my weekly thing too. I need all the encouragement I can get. I know it's going to be a long haul.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #18  

Yesterday I forgot my water bottle and I used it as an excuse not to drink my water yesterday. It's a chore for me but I'm back at it today. Are you still drinking tons of water every day as prescribed, irish and zoesmom? Is it absolutely necessary to the plan?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #19  

Yep. Water, water, and more water (MIO and Crystal Light will forever be your friend, I promise you this.)

Drinking water is critical in weight loss for a number of reasons:

1) drinking just 17 ounces of water increased your metabolic rate, which is the rate you burn calories, by 30%....the increase occurs within 10 minutes of drinking the water and peaks at 30 to 40 minutes. Men tend to burn fat during this period. Women tend to burn carbs...which is where most women tend to gain weight. So drink often throughout the day for maximum weight loss potential.

2) Many times, we mistake dehydration warning signs as hunger pains. Drinking water throughout the day keeps us hydrated and wards away those phantom hunger pains so we tend to consume less calories.

3) Water carries nutrients to all the cells in your body, aids in digestion, carries waste products from your cells, helps regulate body tempature, lubricates your joints, and moisturizes your skin from the inside out.

4) Drinking more water will make you lose water weight. Hear me out. Our bodies are amazingly adaptive. Much like when you don't eat enough calories and your body holds onto everything out of fear it is starving, if you don't drink enough water, your body holds onto the water for fear of dehydration. Given the sometimes high sodium content of WS products, we need to be flushing that out or we will retain the water and gain. On the flip side, if you drink more than the 64-80 ounces recommended, add salt to your diet to balance it out, as salt is essential to bring various minerals and nutrients to our bodies.

5) If you exercise, you creat itty bitty tears in your muscles. This is normal and must happen if your muscles are to grow. However, when this happens, your body uses water to repair itself...or, you retain water. Much like #4, to get rid of that water weight, you need to down extra water (and protein) when you exercise so your muscles can properly repair WITHOUT gaining weight.

I am sure there are other reasons, but those are the only ones I am aware of. Worth pointing out, the days I don't drink my min requirement are the days I tend not to see any weight loss or a weight gain up to 2 pounds. The days I drink the requirement or more, I tend to see anywhere from a .4 to a 1.2 pound loss (and I do mean days, not week...it all depends on stalls, exercise, and various other things.)

So yes...drink your water...at all costs. Also, WS SAYS soda and caffenine products are fine, but I find that I need to eitehr completely avoid them OR if I have two cups of coffee, make sure I have my 64 ounces PLUS 2 extra cups of water to make up for that coffee. Caffenine stalls metabolism a wee bit...and soda is laced with sodium...which causes...water weight gain! I repeat, MIO and Crystal Light are your friend

Sources:
Drinking Water May Speed Weight Loss
Benefits of Drinking Water
Why You Need Water
Drink More Water to Lose Water Weight
Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #20  

Thanks for the refresher course ZM - Of course I know how good it is for me. But reminding me that it helps my metabolism is a good enough reason to bathe my organs in it all day. I don't drink soda and I'm not on the Crystal Light/splenda etc. train, although I don't know why, since all that's in those packets I'm eating is nothing but chemicals. If I get sufficiently tired of my water I'll try some Crystal light thingies.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #21  

The main thing I want with weight loss is to be able to get down in the floor with my granddaughter and play...and then get back up again without a big scene. When did I become the old lady who has to be helped up out of the floor? When my belly became a thing that needed to be lifted up separately, I guess. Ava is 16 months old and I plan to play Barbies for a lotta years. So the idea of being a nimble granny is keeping me going. As the weeks go by, it should get easier and easier to get back up out of that floor with her!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #22  

I figured you knew, given you are older than me. I just assumed that if it had been me asking the question, it would have been for trying to justify why not to drink water, given I think the stuff is gross. So, mostly, I was doing it as both a refresher to you...and to me. I REALLY dislike water. Says a lot about what I used to be willing to put in my mouth, doesn't it!

Try lemon slices or lime slices to shake things up if you are not a CL fan (I can get behind that, I really can.) I sometimes put crushed mint leaves in my water...I like that A LOT. Carbonated water does not have sodium or ...anything....in it, so it is pretty tastey when you add little extras like that, or even mix them up. Lemon grass is another good one. I've even gone so far as to add crushed lavendar to my water! Not...quite...what I was...expecting. Not bad but..well, not in a hurry to repeat either!

Get creative with your water, as with your WS items. It makes everything A HECK of a lot easier if it isn't the same flipping thing day in and day out.

Later, I'll have to tell you about why I am so motivated..I LOVE that it is your granchild. I think kids are the best reason.

Last edited by zoesmom; 05-17-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #23  

Thanks so much for your encouragement ZM! I am not feeling very adventurous yet, still getting my legs under me, but I'm not an adventurous cook in general. I'm a widow, I live alone, so it's just me and the quicker I can get it all over with the better. I love the George Foreman for my meat, the steamer for my veggies, and done. But I'm intrigued with the cool stuff everyone does with the WS packets!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 165/151/110

Yes, thanks for all the tips Zoe's Mom. Now that the weather here on the East Coast is getting warmer it will be easier to get the water in. I never had a problem with drinking water, but I also travel a lot and as much as this seems far fetched water tastes ( if you can taste it that is) different wherever I go.
The lemon slices or crushed mint in the water will help with some of the metallic tastes. Also, don't forget cucumber slices. I saw somewhere a water pitcher that has a tube like thing in the middle. You add crushed fruit or whatever you want into that tube, fill the pitcher with water and you have something that is good to drink. I bought one and intend to use it.

I live alone too Nimblegranny which makes this plan so much easier. At least I know it will. I am looking forward to tomorrow when I will start the diet. Sounds crazy but I have everything packed for each day of the week, all my meals written down on the Food and Activity Diary and am just waiting to go. Ha Ha.

Have a great weekend all.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #25  

I just ordered a two week Wonderslim box for my boss! She has been doing another plan for a long time and liked the smell of my beefsteak macaroni thingie the other day (and also the prices), and today she said, I'm gonna try your WS! Order me up a two week box! So I customized a box of the good stuff I knew she would like. Look at me, a personal WS shopper! Only 14 days in and I feel like an expert already, it's so easy. Guess I'm good advertisement!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 169/159/135

Height: 5' 0''

zoesmom
Quote:
When I grow up, I wanna be just like you!!!
Thank you! That is the best compliment I have received in a very long time. You made my day. Frankly, I am not sure what is going on with these sizes, I look in the mirror and really size 4, nope, not seeing it.

nimblegranny I am also a widow, so I understand what you mean about the cooking. My grandson is 14 months old and we get on the floor and play. I watch him, at least 2 days a week, some times more. Before he could walk, I used to crawl under the dining room table with him. Why? , because he wanted me to follow him! Now I am glad that I started losing the weight before he could walk. Since he has been walking I find I need all the energy I can muster to keep up. The days that I have him, I usually do not workout.

punmama looking forward to hearing about your first days on WS.

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, I had the baby here. I have been drinking water for 23 years. I did Quick Weightloss Diet back then, and had to quit drinking Coke. I have not had a Coke since than, (probably make me sick if I tried one), I drink water all the time. The exception is if I go to a restaurant, different water sometimes makes me ill, so than I will order a sprite (no ice). This is maybe, once a month. Otherwise, water,water,water.

A side benefit of drinking so much water is it is great for your skin!

Have to run and pick up the baby. Hope everyone has a good day.

Last edited by irish51; 05-18-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #27  

Slipped over the 10 lb. mark and I'm 11 lbs. down! That's my first 10 down and only have to do this 11 more times to reach my goal.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #28  

Can't wait to see my granddaughter tomorrow, I missed last weekend because I was sick. She is a pistol, just running everywhere, learning to talk, tons of energy. I love books, she loves books. I love shoes, so does she. Want to be the kind of Granny to up and go on trips and adventures and lots of energy, and I'm not that now. She is a wonderful motivation!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 165/151/110

Good Morning all,
I started the program on Saturday and other than a slight headache and feeling a bit hungry it went well. I love the shakes and foods. I chose things from some comments on different foods and I have to say so far you guys have not let me down. I can not believe how easy this is. I am an avid chocoholic and I don't miss that at all thanks to the shakes and bars.

I wish you all a successful day and week.

Maria
Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #30  

WOOHOO punmama!!!! The headache and hungries abait rather quickly. Your energy will go down for a few days and then...SWING BATTER BATTER! You'll have more energy than you know what to do with! Glad it is going well! I really truly am...can't WAIT to hear how you do!

Nimblegranny - on pushing over the 10 pound mark, I am so happy for you! I've mentioned last week that I LOVE that your grand baby is your motivation. My kiddo is mine.

Last August 13th (sorry irish, I am subjecting you to this...AGAIN!) my kid, who was three at the time, found me in a semi-coma. I was 293 pounds, a severe asthamtic, and had been sick with what I thought was a simple cold. I had told my husband around 4 am to go on to work without me (we usually car pool) and to leave the girl with me instead of taking her to daycare. I KNOW she was awake at that time, she was going on and on about wanting candy. He left much earlier than normal that day since we weren't going with him, so maybe around 4:15 or 4:30. He had noticed I was pale, and had considered taking the girl anyways...or even staying home to keep her out of my hair. Had he done either of those, I would not be here today. He left, and I turned the TV on for my kiddo, then crawled back in bed.

It was somewhere between 7:30 and 8:30 when I next woke. At least, I think it was. I really don't remember. Most of that day is nothing but a blur of dreamy memories. My head was swimming. I was half way on the floor. My 35-40 pound 3 year old had managed to drag my huge frame out of the bed. She was screaming and crying and pounding on me, begging me to wake up. I have no clue how long she had been doing that. All I know is, she was scared, more scared than I had ever seen her before.

I somehow managed to stumble the rest of the way to the floor and stand up. I couldn't breathe. It felt like someone was standing on my chest. I told my kid to get dressed, and she moved faster than I ever seen her move before and she started dragging me to the door telling me we had to go to the doctor NOW. I don't know if I ever got dressed. I really don't. I do know that I stupidly got in the car with my kid and by the grace of God managed to get to the doctor's office in one piece. I really don't remember the drive.

When I walked in the doctor's office, the receptionist literally jumped out of her chair and screamed out that she needed help in the front lobby and proceeded to rush and ask if I was okay. I found out later that my face was turning blue. I mumbled something about not being able to breathe before two nurses quickly brought me into the tirage and hooked me up to everything to get my stats. That's when everything went from insane to flat out chaotic. I suddenly had shots going into me, 911 was being called, oxygen was being put on me, steroids being dumped by the needles, IV's being hooked up. My O2 reading was 71...and quickly dropping. I rember being loaded up into the ambulance and crying out that I needed my kid and the doctor forcibly holding her back so she couldn't come with me. I remember looking out the ambulance window wondering if we would ever see each other again, remembering literally being scared for my life. By the time I got to the hospital, which was 10 minutes away, my artorial blood O2 level was at 42. Morgues often times see corpses come in with higher O2 levels. I should have been at the very least in a coma (like i had been earlier in the day) or flat lining. I don't know how many times I had heard that from various doctors and nurses over the next several weeks and months.

I ended up with a cocktail of illnesses. I had everything. Literally. I had a virial infection. I had a bacterial infection. I later developed a fungal infaction (thanks hospital cleaning crew.) I had carbon dioxide posioning. I had been in a severe asthma attack and didn't know it. I had streptococcus pneumoniae type B...which I later learned is flat out deadly. I was in ICU 3-4 days and remained in the hospital for 9 days after that. I was on an O2 tank up until November. I was diagnosed with ARDS, which is lifelong and has symptoms very similar to CPOD. I have significant scar tissue on my left lung that will likely never repair itself. I was told to file disability. I was told I would never be able to live without having a back up O2 tank in my house at any given time. I was only 29.

December 31st last year, my doctor cleared me to diet and LITE exercise (he did not want me doing anything that caused me any exerction.) I had been doing it previously...but only half arsed. When he cleared me, something snapped. My kid almost found me dead. My kid almost watched me die. My kid STILL has nightmares about it. My kid is still terrorfied if I fall asleep. I can NOT let her go through that again. I can not. I will not.

I started hard core with WS. I had to start exercise by trying to get to my car and back to the front door. It was hard. It was impossible. But I did it. I started dropping wieght. And it started getting a little easier. Come February, I was able to do more intense workouts, such as 30DS. I now can run a mile. My O2 tank is collecting dust as I haven't had to use it but once since February (and that was last week...grrrr.) No one told me my weight is what nearly did me in. Truth is, it wasn't. But I know, in the bottom of my heart, that my weight being out of control is what caused a bad situation to turn so close to deadly. And I REFUSE to put myself of my kid through that again. Because next time, I might not make it out alive. My kid is my inspiration and motivation. I used to think I was selfish if I took time for myself or did anything for myself...so I never dieted and I never exercised. I now realize, I was selfish in thinking that...because I almost deprived my child of me. It will NOT happen again. Will not.

Like I said...I LOVE that your grand baby is your motivation...it touches me on a VERY personal level.

irish - then look at photos. Bet you'll see it there...I did!

I am officially 244 today. TAKE THAT PREDISONE!! HAHA! NO GAIN ON YOU THIS TIME! One more itty bitty pound and I hit my dear 50 lost. Loving this! I now weigh 3 pound less than I did when my husband met me

Last edited by zoesmom; 05-20-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Closed Thread