3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/packaged-meals-clinics-nutrisystem-medifast-jenny-craig-etc-194/)
-   -   Optifast. Oh, it works. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/packaged-meals-clinics-nutrisystem-medifast-jenny-craig-etc/275892-optifast-oh-works.html)

KingSmokey 03-08-2017 01:30 PM

I am on day 6. I am now starting to feel a little better. The last few days were rough... I ended up playing 2 hockey games this weekend, and during the games I felt great, even better than normal, but after I was VERY tired.

For the soup, I add italian seasonings, black pepper, powdered garlic, and chili oil/crushed red pepper/cayenne pepper. The soup is kind of bland and needs both the flavors and the heat.

I'm not a giant fan of the shakes. I put a few ice cubes in them and blend them using a magic bullet and that helps a little. But the bars (chocolate and peanut butter chocolate) are delicious, just not as satisfying as the shake or the soup.

Overall, It's not fun right now but I can't wait to see the end results.

akelly97 03-14-2017 03:03 PM

5 Pounds in 3 weeks??!!!

Hi guys,
I've been a lurker for the past 2 months and finally joined today. I just finished week 3 on Optifast 800. Followed it to the letter (I'm on 5 products a day). I'm eating every 3 hours as directed, and drinking 80oz of water daily. I also walk briskly for 3.5 miles a day on top of my already logged 14k steps done in my workday. I have to say I'm very frustrated as I've only lost 5 pounds. My Dr thinks this is great, and any weight loss is great, but I'd be lying if I was to say I was excited. I'm on this diet to lose 45 pounds. I know that doesn't sound like a lot. Small steps. Doctor has sent me out for blood work twice in the 3 weeks and everything is "perfect" so I don't know what the hold up on the weight is. I know it's 12 weeks on the liquid diet, but DANG IT... I thought it would be rapid weight loss in the beginning then it would slow. I'm fearful that I will continue to see only 1-2 pounds per week while everyone else in my group is losing 7-10 a week!

Have any of you seen a slow start like mine that ended up working out as planned?

Kacheeky 03-20-2017 06:55 AM

Hi Everyone :)
Day 1 on Optifast Intensive (Australia) and am already struggling. I'm a fussy eater at the best of times so was a bit apprehensive but had decided it couldn't be too bad, that I would persevere as I'd have to anyway if I had proceeded with gastric sleeve surgery and it will become easier as I see results. First product I tried was the cereal bar. Hated it. One bite which I couldn't even swallow and couldn't bring myself to have another. Thought I would try again tomorrow. Next was the berry crunch bar, not a fan. Managed a few small bites over several hours. Then came the chocolate shake. This I could actually tolerate but had to drink it fast. So far all of the products are incredibly sweet, I have never had a sweet tooth so am now worried this is going to be extremely difficult and I will fail. I'm really hoping I can overcome this and that someone may be able to reassure me that they may have felt like this in the beginning and that it will get better...

R23 03-20-2017 10:33 AM

Day 1

Hi all!
I hope you continue to show up here as I enjoy reading everyone's progress.
This is my first time on Optifast.
CW: 255
GW1: 215
GW2: 175

So far I tried the strawberry powder and it was tolerable. The chocolate was difficult even after adding coconut extract.

I'm a little worried about explaining myself at work as I'm surrounded by fitness nuts who meal prep religiously and it is quite intimidating.

How do you all deal with coworkers?

R23 03-22-2017 08:54 PM

Update.

Well the first day was really tough.
I could barely choke down the vanilla. The strawberry was okay.

As soon as I got home from work I went to the store and got some orange and lemon extract.
I put a drop of orange in the vanilla shake and it tastes like pound cake batter. I actually kind of enjoy it now.

I'm feeling hopeful now. I've never drank this much water in my life. I was lucky if I drank 24 ounces of liquid a day before.

KingSmokey 03-31-2017 11:53 AM

OK, I just finished my 4th week and I lost 24 lbs exactly. I play either 1 or 2 hockey games a week and the first week, I felt great. Then I got real tired but last week, I played better than ever and can now keep up with the youngen's.

One issue has developed. I have become just slightly anemic. I have been really really tired lately and I joked that it was because my body was eating itself, but this makes perfect sense. I am going to the store shortly to buy iron supplements and hopefully that will take care of it.

I'm just going to keep pushing forward and I'll take another blood test in a week or so and see if it is getting better. But the weight loss feels great and I am so glad I am doing this. Even though it is NOT fun.

As for the flavors, I agree that the Strawberry shake is terrible. Its fake chemical strawberry. The vanilla is OK and the chocolate is great. The chocolate and peanut butter bars are both great. I am getting the berry yogurt ones in my second half purchase, and i know they are releasing apple cinnamon soon. The chicken soup isn't great but after testing several options, I really like a pinch of salt, some crushed red pepper and the no salt seasoning from Costco. Makes it tasty enough. I haven't tried the tomato soup, and I know they are releasing a vegetable soup soon but I may be done with the diet before that happens.

One thing about the powder for the shakes, I learned that adding less water makes them better. They actually get kinda thick and give the feel more like a shake than just flavored water.

Good luck to everyone.

kittens 04-16-2017 10:34 AM

Hi all!
I'm glad to see so many folks on Optifast! I thought this was a dead thread too! I'm still on my program in New England and have lost over 70 lbs, still going, but slower now. I'm on an emotional eating program along with my group for Opti, which has helped me immensely, as part of my problem is my relationship with food. So I've been using Opti as a reset for my relationship with food. I have been feeling really good about that. It sounds like some of you are having some good success with that as well. I'm nearing the transition phase (after almost 9 months.. I'm slow) and I'm starting to feel like I really can have real food again and work with a meal plan and count calories effectively. I've been counting my Opti foods in a calorie counting program, which has been helping me. Part of what has really helped is to see real success in this program. I kept falling off of other diet programs, but not this one, because of all the comprehensive help at the clinic I'm at. Here's to hoping you all are getting as much caring help as I'm getting at my hospital clinic. It is changing my life. But for those of you who are looking for fabulous numbers every week, even Opti for me leveled off to 1-2 lbs a week, and sometimes I plateau and need to move things around or up exercise. Anyway, here's to your journey with Optifast.

Oh, and really quickly: How is everybody liking the new recipe of the shakes and bars? My clinic just had the new peanut butter bars. I liked it ok, but I really miss the old ones for their texture.. they were my favorite. I'm guessing I may enjoy the revision of some of the other mixes and bars. And for those of you looking to doctor up shakes, I use ice, flavored seltzer, frozen berries (fruit serving) and a packet or two of splenda. Makes the shakes so so so much better. I prefer the chocolate, but I have also done that with the vanilla and the strawberry.

Have a good one! K

Caligirl03 04-16-2017 10:33 PM

Beginning on 4/25 - night snacking question

I'm with Kaiser in Northern California as well and start on April 25th :)
I do have a question: I tend to "snack" just before bedtime - Can anyone relate and what do/did you do?

KingSmokey 04-17-2017 02:50 PM

Hi all.

I am still trucking along. In 6 weeks, I have lost 33 pounds. I play hockey once a week and that is the only hardcore exercise I do. Other than that its playing with and walking the dogs, and I play Disc Golf once a week too. For the slight anemia, I have taken iron supplements and the numbers are back normal. My doctor wants me to do some scopes to make sure nothing is wrong, but I just can't afford it right now so once the diet is over, if the numbers aren't back normal without a supplement, then I will do some tests. The new formula has more protein and that should help.

One thing about this diet... I normally drink a ton of water but since i am not eating, I haven't been drinking as much and last week, I woke up with the worst kidney pain you can think of. I've played contact sports my entire life and never felt pain like this. I drank a few gallons of water for a couple days straight and the pain went away. I read somewhere that when you lose this much weight this fast, your body releases a bunch of toxins and thats why they tell you to drink at least 64 ounces of water a day, to flush out your system. If you don't, it could get pretty nasty.

I am SO looking forward to Memorial Day weekend, when my first 12 weeks are up and I can finally have the beautiful piece of fish I have been dreaming about with a little bit of rice, and I will be so happy!!!

Good luck to everyone.

Caligirl... I have had herniated discs in my lower back for many many years and I have a recommendation for medicinal marijuana (had it for many many years now). My friends have asked me how I deal with not being able to munch... I'll be totally honest with you. I tell them "It sucks and you just don't get to eat". For me personally, (also being Jewish), I have made the joke to my friends that my people have suffered and I can suffer with the best of em... but the truth is, for me, its 100% just mind over matter. I want to munch on, not just bad stuff, but even vegetable sticks or cottage cheese or yogurt, some of the things I usually have around, and even that I have to pass up. Its because I want to lose weight and I know once I reach my goal, then I can eat that stuff, but for now, just suffer through it. I think of people who are this hungry every day and I think, I am very fortunate to be where I am and I can choose not to eat to lose weight and I can be happy. I know for some people, they think they can't control it and you just have to decide how mentally tough you are. As a lifelong athlete, I think I am lucky that I can just do this and "suffer through it" and others its not so easy, so you may have to find your own justifications to not eat and that could help you.

Ready2losewt 04-17-2017 03:17 PM

Starting optifast

Hello all I'll be starting the optifast program today with Kaiser... I have already done my initial blood work, ekg and met with the MD!
I'm excited and would love to share my success and stories as I have been thankful for this thread for providing so much data already!
I go in for my first weigh in and I pick up my optifast shakes/bars....

Hope everyone is doing well!? I hope I can do this !🙏🏼

KingSmokey 04-21-2017 11:11 AM

Hi everyone,

I just did my weekly weigh in and I couldn't be happier. I just wanted to let everyone know that the week to week weight loss has been very inconsistent so I would never worry about a single weigh in. The least I lost in 1 week was 2 lbs. The most I lost in 1 week is 10 lbs. Just keep positive and remember why you are doing this and what your goals are, and you can get there. :D

Ready2losewt 04-27-2017 03:57 PM

Day 3 of optifast

I'm on day 3 of optifast and so far good.... did had a slight headache yesterday evening and this am was a little tired..... trying to ignore and keep busy ....

I got the strawberry and chocolate shakes and the fudge chocolate bars and the berry bars and the tomato soup!

I have been drinking lots of water and chewing gum when I feel tired to keep me going .
My starting weight is 208 pounds ....

Excited to see what my weigh in will be on a Monday! 🙏🏼

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ready2losewt (Post 5311459)
Hello all I'll be starting the optifast program today with Kaiser... I have already done my initial blood work, ekg and met with the MD!
I'm excited and would love to share my success and stories as I have been thankful for this thread for providing so much data already!
I go in for my first weigh in and I pick up my optifast shakes/bars....

Hope everyone is doing well!? I hope I can do this !🙏🏼

journey48 04-27-2017 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue828 (Post 5275903)
Hello all - I've just joined this site so not entirely sure whether I have the hang of things yet or not? I just searched Optifast on the threads and this is where I ended up (feel free to give me any tips I need to know to participate). So, I'm into Day 15 of Optifast 900 in Ontario (4 shakes only per day + water). The first week, following just the shakes/water, I was down 4.5 pounds and although a little disappointed (really don't know what I was expecting but I'm sure that's reasonable), I've stuck with it to date. From the beginning, I didn't have any headaches and haven't been really hungry as long as I have my shake every 4 hours so with that, I am happy! I have had a few really bad mental days where I'm almost trying to justify to myself that "I will always be the same person inside, what does it matter that I'm fat - let's go get pizza" however, I've managed to overcome those days with the "I will just get through this day with shakes" attitude - so far, so good :) My problem is that when I go to our weekly clinic (hospital) visits, we only get weighed in every 2 weeks with a health check. This coming Tuesday won't be a weigh-in for me but I've told myself, it doesn't really matter - as long as I'm just doing shakes/water, I'll lose and the following week should be a good surprise. So I sabotaged myself by weighing myself at home the other day (which I told myself I was not going to do) and sure enough, my digital scale showed I was only down 1 pound (from Tuesday evening weigh-in until Friday night). I must say this was VERY demotivating - wtf - I'm only taking the shakes and water!? I'm also not entirely sure that I'm in Ketosis? I know I'm supposed to be but I don't think (nor does my husband think) that I have that really awful breath I'm supposed to have. Is it possible that I'm not in Ketosis - ugghh :( ? They don't actually check for ketosis when I do my hospital visits - has anyone had any luck with the urine kits from the drug store (I've heard they're not entirely reliable)? Thanks peeps! ;)

Just saw your post, are you still on OptiFast and if so how are things going?

Ready2losewt 05-03-2017 01:37 PM

Going good

Quote:

Originally Posted by journey48 (Post 5313085)
Just saw your post, are you still on OptiFast and if so how are things going?

Had my first weigh in and lost 7 pounds!! So excited ..... I can feel it I just hope it continues !

Ready2losewt 05-19-2017 03:49 AM

Last weigh in!

Hello all!

I started at 208 on April 24 and now on Monday May15 im down to 196!!!!!
Down 12.5 pounds!