Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #301  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kava View Post
Hey everyone!

Last night I caved and ate a few pieces of celery and I'm not sure how to feel about it.
)
I am not sure what your Dr. has told you, but on the Optifast website there are guidelines and some food is actually allowed.

Here is a pdf you might find useful: http://www.stjoes.ca/patients-visito...structions.pdf

Last edited by irishchik; 05-16-2015 at 07:20 PM.
irishchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #302  
Trishy Returnz

S/C/G: 214/214/155

Height: 5'4"

Default Optifast Beginner

Hello All ---

Newbie to this site as well as to the Optifast program. Today I met with the physician and enrolled in the program. I begin day 1 of the intensive phase tomorrow.

I am leery going in seeing I cannot get the Optifast website tool to work. So I have resorted to gain my support through this forum instead. Hope to interact with others as we travel through out respective journeys.

Good luck everyone who's pursuing a VLCD long term.

Trish
chunkynomore15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #303  

S/C/G: 320+/232/200

Height: 5'10''

Hi irishchik, thanks for your reply and link. I appreciate any help, information and support I can get right now!

Sadly, those in the group for surgery get to eat a little bit, but the non-surgical optifast program I'm in at St. Joe's does not allow any food whatsoever for 12 weeks.

The good news: I was able to resolve this hunger issue! I added more fiber, spaced out my meals a bit more and got creative with the calorie-free/fat-free/sugar-free options available to me. I started adding ice with just enough water to make a fine slush in my blender, added either instant coffee or those Torani sugar-free syrups or mio etc (I must admit, I didn't just make the shakes tolerable -- I made them delicious!). I also made some berry and orange sugar-free metamucil popsicles (must eat before they melt ... *shudder*) and mio popsicles for a treat.

Tuesday I will have completed 2 weeks. I am already off of one diabetes medication, the dose of my other med has been cut in half (and I suspect I will be off it completely next week). I feel pretty great!

If anyone needs some new shake recipes, let me know and I will post.

Take care!

Last edited by kava; 05-23-2015 at 01:58 PM.
kava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:56 PM   #304  

Trish,

It can be hard at the start, but it does gets easier. I wish you the best of luck on this journey!

Take care and good luck!
Old 05-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #305  
Trishy Returnz

S/C/G: 214/214/155

Thank you Kava for the warm welcome. I find that one must be mentally prepared to assume such a long term dedication.

Today I purchased flavored extracts (cherry, banana, orange, coconut, almond and caramel) to create different type effects like "chocolate covered cherries, almond joy, or a milky way with the chocolate powder/water mix; and orange creamsicle, or banana cream with vanilla powder/water mix). Add a little excitement as I make this long term commitment.

Also in case I feel hunger I will limit myself to one decaffeinated diet beverage a day in addition to my water intake requirement. Finding that diet beverages curb my appetite, it just may be my saving grace for 12 weeks.
chunkynomore15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 PM   #306  

Yes it certainly does require mental preparedness! You sound committed and ready!

I am using everything in my toolbox right now, and I'm glad I have acquired so many tools because this week has been rough! Somehow I have managed to find and keep the strength to do this and I'm thankful. Nothing is going to derail me. (Not even my doctor. hehe ... see rant below).

I'm glad you were able to find solutions that work for you. I really think that is the key to success here -- finding ways to make it work, and even better making it enjoyable! My sister is thinking of trying Optifast and we had a good talk about it today. I asked her to give some serious thought to her triggers and alternate ways of dealing (we are both emotional eaters). What will work for HER? Programs and meetings can cover a lot of material, but each of us has to find a way to make our plans work.

*incoming rant*

Oddly enough, the biggest obstacle I've had is not family bbqs with ribs/steak/hamburgers/hotdogs/birthday cake ... it's one of my doctors. Last week I only lost one pound and it was suggested that I cheated. It has been over three weeks since I have had any food aside from these shakes. Admittedly, the first two days I had a few pieces of celery and cucumber because I was so hungry I couldn't sleep. But I was open about it and called the clinic for help. I managed to find solutions that worked. I'm not about to lie or BS my doctor or anyone else -- that is pointless. Anyhow, aside from the day 1 and 2 blip I have not eaten any food. Not even at my weekly family Breakfast on Sunday. Not once. I am sitting here feeling like I'm on the verge of crying because I have put in so much effort and I am doing such a great job ... and to have my doctor treat me like a cheater or a dishonest person ... that hurts. That has been my biggest obstacle. Trying not to care what they think. What I think is what matters. I'm doing this for me and no one else.

Maybe I am taking this too hard or too personally (?).

He did make an effort to turn things around to a more positive note. Generally he's a good doctor and I think highly of him. I would imagine that in his experience, he's had a number of patients who didn't lose weight because they cheated. Regardless, it should not be the default assumption and the insinuation is counter-productive in my opinion.

I am finding it hard to let it go. He was dismissive and I wonder what factors, for me specifically, play into only losing one pound that week. Maybe it's just a plateau, maybe it's an underlying health issue I don't know about? I'm the type of person who likes answers -- if I'm not getting the result I want then I need to change what I'm doing and fix things. But ... what is there to fix in this situation? Did my body hang onto the weight because I was stressed out? Maybe I'm going through so many changes my body is confused and decided to hang on to some insulation? (I have been VERY cold lately). Maybe it's my PCOS causing troubles again? Metabolic and hormone changes? Maybe I'm "backed up" and that accounts for some of the weight? (I have had a tough time figuring out the right amount of fiber and since that doctor appointment have had to resort to Restoralax and DulcoComfort along with increased fiber) Eh .... I don't know ... A variety of things can account for not losing much. I only wish that they weren't so quick to write if off as cheating or dishonesty. That really infuriates me. I know enough healthcare professionals personally, either as friends or family members, and I know that our bodies don't always behave the way we want. Sometimes there are answers, sometimes there are none. At the very least it's good to discuss matters without judgement, investigate, evaluate and educate.

Here is the fun part. My doc wants me on *just* the shakes. No gum, no flavour shots (fat-free/sugar-free/calorie-free ... maybe the ingredients are messing up my system and preventing weight loss somehow?? Although I'm not sure how ...) Anyhow, I have to say the no gum part is the worst. When I have work to do and it is particularly challenging, I tend to bite my lips. They are chapped now :/

Getting back to positive things -- I've had success. I might be losing the weight slowly, but 15 pounds in 3 weeks is not too shabby. My clothes are getting loose and most importantly -- I actually feel pretty great! I am off my diabetes medications completely as of today. I was on 90 mg of Diamicron and 2000 mg of Glumetza and now nothing! My blood sugars are normal and I'm so happy! Oh, and my hair has stopped falling out. Before this program it was getting pretty bad, lots had been falling out for a while now and there was no clear reason why (sometimes handfuls at a time). I rather like having hair, I hope whatever is causing me to retain it will continue.

I am going to try and focus on good things .... F what he thinks.

Ok I'm done rambling. Thank you guys for giving me an outlet. I think I really just needed to vent. I feel better.

Trishy, sounds like you're going strong. Keep it up and keep us posted!
Old 06-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #307  

S/C/G: 215/207.4/150

Height: 5'1"

Default Kava - are you doing any better?

Kava - wondered if you were getting more sleep now that a month has gone? I am not hungry, but I am on day 6 and still get up several times a night to use the bathroom, so I know how you feel!! My Optifast program is a bit different than yours - we are allowed 4 Optifast products, 2 Fruit Servings and 3 Veggie Servings. Just starting out, so would LOVE to hear how it is going midway!!
addisjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #308  

Hi Addisjo,

For the most part I am not hungry anymore but I have not resolved the sleep issues (that is a complicated one, so many factors). I get more sleep than I did, but it's still not enough! As far as Optifast goes, spacing out the shakes a bit more and more fiber really helped.

Finished week 4 and down 20 pounds, have been off all diabetes meds for a whole week and sugars in target range any time I check them (at least twice a day) -- I am quite pleased with this! It will be interesting and challenging to keep this going once I reintroduce food!

I am very jealous of you right now lol I would LOVE to be eating vegetables and fruit. I don't think I have ever craved them more in my entire life. I will be happy in 8 weeks when I can start having them again.

Other than bathroom issues, how are things going?

(By the way, my doc is back to having a +5 modifier. He is good at what he does, he's professional and the program is solid. I was pissed/hurt about it, I spoke with him, we resolved it.)

On another note, I am not able to cut gum out (yet?). My lips get too raw and chapped from biting them while I work. It's not a conscious thing, I wish I had better control over it. For now, the gum stays. 10 calories is a small price and I am happy to pay it.

I am going to fall asleep on my keyboard. heh

Just thought I would check in and see how you guys are doing. Please keep the updates coming!

lalalalala
Old 06-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #309  

S/C/G: 161/161/115

Height: 5'4

Talking Meeting Dr. in 3 hours and will start Optifast ASAP

Hi all,

I am new to this. One of my friend introduced Optifast to me. I have been battled losing weight for years and ended just keep going up.

I will have my appt in 3 hours and will start the program ASAP. I know it work in a short term which is good for me since I have a college reunion coming in 10 weeks. How is long term for you all? I love to cook and eat, afraid that I will go back to where I am after I stop the program. Also is there a cheat day I can do in this program? If not, how do you handle outing with family or friends for 12 weeks since I am on shake?

Appreciate your advice!
christinezhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #310  

S/C/G: 161/161/115

Height: 5'4

kava,

Wondering how you were doing on June? Read old post that you were not losing as much weight as you like and you stay on shakes. I am wondering if you start to see losing weight again? You got to lose a lot weight if daily taking is only 800 cal. Do you have thyroid issue? Thyroid issue might cause gaining weight. I hope this is not your case.
christinezhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:00 AM   #311  

Hello again

Christine, I don't know for sure why I had that pause in weight loss. Looking back, it seems like one of those unexplained plateaus. Maybe I didn't get enough sleep, was too stressed out (this sounds like me lol - I'm trying to learn to chill out) or my body could have just been adjusting. I have had a lot of tests done and so far they show normal organ function etc etc. I do not have sleep apnea (I have no idea how I escaped this -- it's a miracle). My thyroid tests came back normal. Thank you for bringing it up however ... I appreciate your help trying to solve the issue.

The weight started coming off again. Each week is a different amount, but things have been going in the right direction and I feel good about it. I'm down about 30 pounds total in 6 weeks. There is actual evidence that I have a ribcage and collar bones .... haven't seen or felt them since I was like 12. Forgot I had them.

I realized this week that in another 20 pounds, I will be down 100 total. Over the course of years, but still. This is an amazing feeling. I want to hit that goal.

I have never in my life gone even a week without eating chocolate or chips or ice cream or pretty much anything I wanted. I find it surreal that I have gone almost 7 weeks without any food (aside from the celery on day one and the cucumber on day two). I have a long history of not being accountable to myself ... so it is hard for me to believe I've done this. It makes me wonder, when food is reintroduced how things will change? If I can say no now, and learn to cope in ways that do not include food now, can I do it later too? I honestly didn't think I was capable, so this has come as a real shock. Definitely eye-opening ...

Regarding outings and family gatherings - I think it's whatever will work for you. For me, I go out for breakfast with some family members every Sunday. I still go, but I only have black coffee. I have my shake before I meet them so I'm not hungry. It was awkward the first two times, mostly because they misunderstood my motivation and what I was trying to accomplish with optifast. They kept questioning me. And I got comments like "ohhh surely you can have *some* food, it's OK ... just something small is fine ... ". I explained to them why I chose to do this and what my expectations are. And they are very realistic in my opinion -- I do NOT expect optifast to fix the reasons I got overweight, I expect it to take off weight at a faster rate than before so that a lumbar/sciatic injury can heal. With all the extra weight I keep re-injuring it and I want it to heal properly or I'll have problems for life. Pain was and is still is the biggest motivator for me. At one point, I stopped eating and drinking because getting up and going to the washroom was so painful I couldn't bear it, I didn't want to have to go to the washroom, I didn't want to have to move (wake up call anyone?). I have other reasons for doing this, but that is the biggest one that gave me a kick in the ***. I realized it was time for some hardcore action. Anyhow, other family gatherings like birthdays, father's day etc. ... when they are having the actual sit down meal, I go do something else. I help take dishes into the kitchen or go watch a show on my phone in the basement lol. It's temporary, I still visit and spend time with them and that is the main reasons for these celebrations -- not the food! I try to remind myself of that. Or, if they are eating first then hanging out, I will ask what time they are eating and show up 45 min later to spend time with them after the meal. As for family members who ask me what they can do to support me - I ask them to do nothing. It's easier for me if people do not bring it up or draw extra attention to it. Aside, a suggestion I got from my optifast group is to have food on a plate and just push it around but not eat it. Then at some moment, slip out to the bathroom or something and throw it out (for non-sit down meals, like a bbq or casual party). I feel guilty thinking about wasting food ... but it's a small amount and not a regular thing. I have not actually done this, but it might help in an awkward situation. Going to a movie, I just don't buy any food. I distract myself and try not to give any time to my cravings or thoughts about eating. And when I smell what other people are eating, I give myself permission to enjoy it and breathe it in and acknowledge how yummy it smells. And I remind myself that it's OK to appreciate the food, but right now I'm choosing not to eat it. This isn't forever, it's for right now. And in the future I can have those things again, hopefully in smaller amounts though! Anyhow, I think you can be creative and come up with something that will work for you. Good luck and let me know what you come up with and how it goes!! I hope maybe something in here is helpful to you.

Thanks again for the forum to speak freely about this stuff ... this bit of support helps a lot.

Last edited by kava; 06-27-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #312  

S/C/G: 229/206/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi All!

I am new to this forum, but just wanted to say hello, and I am so glad that this forum is here. I am doing Optifast through the Weight Management program at the University of Michigan. The program is two years total. The first 12 weeks are a very low calorie diet (VLCD) that uses five Optifast 800 shakes/soups. Then, at the 12 week (or 15% weight loss, whichever comes first), you add a 400 calorie meal.

The biggest attraction for me was the length of this program. I have lost weight and gained it back so many times that it makes me sick to think aobut it. Hopefully, being involved iwht the program at UofM for two years will give me the support and reinforce healthy eating to the point that it will become a habit, and not a "diet".

I began May 26th, and have already lost 23 pounds, so I am feel good to this point. I also find that I have a LOT more energy, which is surprising since I am eating (well, drinking) only 800 calories. BUT, I think the difference is that I am eating a much more balanced diet as far as the vitamins and minerals. Plus, they have me taking a multivitamin and 2,000 units of Vitamin D (I was VERY deficient) each day.

The odd thing is, I am not craving bad/fast foods! I am craving fresh, healthy foods, such as fruits and vegetables. I think that is wonderful!

A final hint - I purchased a Hawaiian Ice machine on Amazon for around $25. I use it with my sugar-free syrups for a fun snowcone type dessert. Helps a lot!
tracy_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:06 AM   #313  

S/C/G: 100.7/**/70

Hi there!

I'm not new to Optifast but I'm semi-new to this forum. I have used Optifast in the past with great results but have not followed through. And I am about to start with this journey again, but this time with a different mindset - to regain my health.

I am currently on Day 5 with great discipline on my part, and I am learning so much about my eating habits that I need to re-wire my brain to get back to proper habits. It's been very tough for the most part but having a different approach and outlook towards how I do things now definitely helps. I will be on the intensive phase for 60 days.

Wish me luck, and I wish you guys the same
fah.chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:00 AM   #314  

S/C/G: 312.4/300.7/130

Height: 167cm

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to Optifast. I've been on Optifast VLCD for 6 days and lost 11.7lbs. Starting weight was 312.4lbs and current is 300.7lbs. My goal weight is 130lbs so I have a long way to go. I hope this thread is still being used as I would love to have the accountability by posting here and optimism by seeing others do well. I am having two shakes a day and lean protein with veg for dinner, I also have one cup of coffee in the morning with semi-skim milk and one sugar.
I wish everyone well on their journeys and hope I can be a success story one day.

Last edited by grimm93; 07-19-2015 at 12:00 AM.
grimm93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #315  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Hi there, I am NEW to this site, forum, and VLCD. I am not on "OptiFast" but I looked it up and it seems very similar to the product my program uses, which is from "Weight Loss Solutions" (how generic of a name can you get?!) So looking forward to support and tips. Helps to see how many people are going through the EXACT SAME THOUGHTS as me!
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote