Clinic is making me do low carb and I hate it!

• I just started a medical weight loss plan almost two weeks ago in hopes to drop around 30 pounds before our family cruise in March.
    There's only two around my area, one being Medi, but it was wayyy outta my budget and the other was actually a family practitioner who was in my budget and seemed not so profit driven. Like Medi, I get the b-12 shots weekly, appetite suppressants, and a couple other fat burning supplements.

My problem is the very strict low-carb diet they want me on. I've always done low calorie diets in the past with great success and was able to maintain until I had my son and BOOM, I gained 40 pounds.
    I've never done low-carb so you can imagine the first week of strictly protein was overwhelming to me. Cut carbs, cold turkey? yea I struggled like crazy week one and only lost 4 pounds when they told me the average was 8 pounds in the 1st week.
    Went hope disappointed and frustrated. So I bought a crap load of meats, eggs, and a couple sugar free snacks to get me through. Even slaved making batches of sugar free merengue cookies that kinda taste like crap.

This diet just seems way too restrictive and I'm miserable on it! EVERYTHING HAS CARBS! So I have to cook for my family and I have to cook a totally seperate meal for me. Week 2 (now I can add a couple servings of broccoli, yay!) and I've lost a total of 6 1/2 lbs. Which IS better than my past dieting on my own where I lost about a pound or so a week. But bottom line is I really dont think I can do this NO-carb diet for too much longer.

So my question is does Medi have the same weightloss plan? Or do they offer a low-calorie diet option? If so does anyone know what it is?

Or should I still attend the clinic for the weight loss boost but go ahead and switch to a good low-calorie plan on my own?

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Thank!
  • My suggestion would be to check out the Paleo diet or the Primal Blueprint diet. Both are low(er) carb (you have options from under 50g a day to 150g a day of carbs depending on your goals). I'm doing Primal Blueprint and I'm finding it incredibly easy to stay on because the foods are so satisfying. And I don't have to make separate meals for the rest of the family because what I eat is good for them too. With Primal Blueprint, the goal is to adhere 80% of the time, so you can have a cheat now and then, although you probably want to stay 90%+ on plan until you hit maintenance. I eat steak, bacon, chicken, all the salad and vegetables I want, potatoes occasionally, beans occasionally, some cheese, dark chocolate, red wine, etc. I don't eat grains, except Quinoa (which is chenopod, not a grain, actually) and if I feel like having a plate of pasta or a pizza once a week I go for it and refuse to feel guilty. If you can't do it as a lifestyle change that you can live with indefinitely, then it's not the diet for you.

For what it's worth, I had tried to do a low carb diet before where I had to do these protein/vitamin shakes twice a day, a salad, and then a low carb dinner and I was starving all the time on that plan. The key to low carb being successful is to eat enough that you're full but not stuffed. If you're hungry, you're going to be miserable. And the food should be real food, not crap out of a box or can.

I realize that someone who has heard the calories in/calories out line a million times is going to be skeptical. It took a while for me to figure it out. I recommend you check out marksdailyapples and read up on Primal Blueprint and why it works. In a very quick nutshell, lower carb diets work because if you're spiking your insulin all the time you *cannot* lose weight. Insulin tells your body to store calories as fat. Period. That's it job. When you reduce your carb load, you reduce insulin, and your body starts to use it's fat as fuel instead of storing calories as fat. But there is way more to it, and you should read up it and try it for a month. I don't think you'll have the same issues with this lifestyle as you're having with your current diet.
  • I am doing low carb through Medifast/Wonder Slim. I think it is the answer for me. My nephew lost 80 lbs on MF. My Achilles heel is making choices and portion control. MF is very helpful on those. And I lost 4 lbs while check out some of the food products.
  • I acutally found some Atkins product at Walmart yesterday that kinda put me at ease. I had half a peanut butter protein bar yesterday and I was in heaven! Maybe I could do this for another couple weeks. I'm down another pound today so I dont wanna lose this momentum but I am curious to see if other weightloss clinics use the same plan or do they offer other plans?
  • Its amazing how bad some of the food tastes but I bet everyone has different taste preferences. I tried a Think Thin protein nut bar from Trader Joe's the other day that was very good.
  • Quote: I acutally found some Atkins product at Walmart yesterday that kinda put me at ease. I had half a peanut butter protein bar yesterday and I was in heaven! Maybe I could do this for another couple weeks. I'm down another pound today so I dont wanna lose this momentum but I am curious to see if other weightloss clinics use the same plan or do they offer other plans?

I'm doing Ideal Protein..so easy. Down 11 pounds in 3 weeks. Low carb is the way to go for me. When I did Atkins those bars screwed me up..be careful with them. Good luck!
  • Quote: I just started a medical weight loss plan almost two weeks ago in hopes to drop around 30 pounds before our family cruise in March.
    There's only two around my area, one being Medi, but it was wayyy outta my budget and the other was actually a family practitioner who was in my budget and seemed not so profit driven. Like Medi, I get the b-12 shots weekly, appetite suppressants, and a couple other fat burning supplements.

My problem is the very strict low-carb diet they want me on. I've always done low calorie diets in the past with great success and was able to maintain until I had my son and BOOM, I gained 40 pounds.
    I've never done low-carb so you can imagine the first week of strictly protein was overwhelming to me. Cut carbs, cold turkey? yea I struggled like crazy week one and only lost 4 pounds when they told me the average was 8 pounds in the 1st week.
    Went hope disappointed and frustrated. So I bought a crap load of meats, eggs, and a couple sugar free snacks to get me through. Even slaved making batches of sugar free merengue cookies that kinda taste like crap.

This diet just seems way too restrictive and I'm miserable on it! EVERYTHING HAS CARBS! So I have to cook for my family and I have to cook a totally seperate meal for me. Week 2 (now I can add a couple servings of broccoli, yay!) and I've lost a total of 6 1/2 lbs. Which IS better than my past dieting on my own where I lost about a pound or so a week. But bottom line is I really dont think I can do this NO-carb diet for too much longer.

So my question is does Medi have the same weightloss plan? Or do they offer a low-calorie diet option? If so does anyone know what it is?

Or should I still attend the clinic for the weight loss boost but go ahead and switch to a good low-calorie plan on my own?

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Thank!
    Med i is low carb too. You will get it off faster with low carb. You don't have that much to lose. I would stick with it, if you do it correctly you will not be hungry at all and will lose the cravings for carbs....promise!
  • I went to a diet clinic a few years ago and was put on a diet that allowed...what was it...like 20g of carbs per day, I think. It was terribly hard at first, but a couple of weeks in it wasn't so hard anymore. I consistently lost 3 pounds per week and that kept me motivated.
  • Quote: Its amazing how bad some of the food tastes but I bet everyone has different taste preferences. I tried a Think Thin protein nut bar from Trader Joe's the other day that was very good.
    Yeah, that's always a problem. I find the best way around that is to chug it down as fast *** possible, the whole time thinking about the end goal rather than the now moment.