Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #1  

Default Can you recommend me a "plan"?

I have done Weight Watchers 4 times and have gained and lost the same 50 lbs all 4 times. My brain seems to have this magic number of where I need to stop. I get to about 170 and the wheels fall off.

My doctor suggested I try Medifast or Nutrisystem, because in theory both would be completely planned for me. The problem with something like that is that I cannot control myself. It's disturbing actually. I seriously get a craving in my head and I will literally get into my car and drive even an hour to obtain this item. And I binge on that item.

I also have a few supper clubs, and often have work lunches/dinners to attend where I cannot get away with not eating or bringing something else. So how would such a plan work for me?

I am at the end of my rope. I have tried that Diet Magic pill as some kind of an appetite suppressant, and I think it worked fine to start but I somehow manage to still constantly think about food and want to eat.

I cannot honestly say I have ever in my life been "satisfied" with a meal. I am either eating a trough of food, and still feeling like I am starving or end up stuffed and want to vomit later. But something has to happen. And since I cannot get my dentist to wire my mouth shut yet, not for lack of trying!, I need something else.
Ame D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #2  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I don't think any diet can fix a bingeing problem. You may want to check out the chicks in control section for some support with that.

I've done both Nutrisystem and Medifast, so I can tell you about my experience with them.

I did a Nutrisystem weekends off plan a few years ago. Weight loss was VERY slow, and I got frustrated after just a few months. It turned out to be very expensive also, because I had to add fruit, vegetables, and dairy to every meal, plus all the meals for the weekend. I also got so sick of their food - I literally was counting the days til the weekend when I could cook some real food.

I've been doing Medifast since April, and this is the most weight I've ever lost. I'm still motivated to keep going, too. Yes, there is still a lot of packaged food, but I get to eat 1 meal of real food EVERY DAY. I've adapted some of my favorite recipes to fit Medifast requirements, and I'm having fun trying new recipes. Yes, it's expensive too, but cheaper than Nutrisystem in the end. I eat out at least once a week on Medifast, so I don't feel deprived in that department.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #3  

Thank you for your input. The binging thing I cannot explain, it's almost like robotic and I don't even raelize how much I just ate of whatever. I do not purge at all, unless Im sick or whatever or on a plane (i can't control it!). But I have also planned to ask about that Phentermine medication to jump start it AND doing Medifast maybe together. My portions are huge issue, because I never feel satisfied. So having a slight appetite killing plus a realistic portion might be helpful.

Thanks and congrats on your success!
Ame D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #4  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Portion control is a big problem for me. While the Medifast meals are small, the lean & green meal can be quite large and filling, depending on what you choose. You can have 5 ounces of lean steak, 6 ounces of chicken breast, 7 ounces of shrimp, 15 ounces of tofu, or 2 CUPS of egg beaters! For the green, it's 1 1/2 cups of most veggies, but 3 cups of salad greens.

I won't say I'm never hungry, although the Medifast literature would like you to believe it. But when I am hungry, it's almost always time to eat. I won't say it's easy. I don't think losing weight is ever easy. I do think Medifast is simple. I only have to worry about 1 meal a day. There's no accidental cheating - if I'm off plan, I darn well know it.

It's working for me. I hope you find something that works for you!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #5  

Sorry you are having problems with the yo yo dieting. I did weight watchers several times and never lost any appreciable weight with that. I did *******, which is like Atkins only stricter, and was able to lose 50 lbs in 3 months, but that required carbs to be kept under 20 grams a day and eating mostly meat and cheese got really old, but I did find that I had no appetite while I was on it. I have never tried any of the weightloss drugs, so no idea how effective they are. I do have a friend on Phentermine and she lost 30 lbs in a month with watching what she ate and working out. I did LA Weightloss over a decade ago before having kids and lost 70 lbs, but when I stopped following the plan and went on birth control I gained it all back and then some. I tried that plan again and didn't get more than 3 or 4 lbs loss a month. Way too slow for how strict it was. I'm doing WonderSlim right now. I'm on day 3 and am already down 7 lbs. I was doing low carb earlier this month so in all I'm down 15 lbs this month. I think once you find something that works stick with it. Try a 4 week program for one of the programs your doctor told you about or go with the wonderslim. Same idea, but cheaper. Good luck with whatever you choose and find the board for whichever you choose for support. Good luck
pamedic954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #6  

Default DTG rocks

I recommend Diet To Go. The food is very good. For years I had a problem with bingeing on especially chips, cakes, and ice cream. I've had a lot of success with Diet To Go. Unless you love cooking, packaged meals is the way to go to avoid bingeing. It's also ideal for anyone with sprinkles of obsessive tendencies. There's an "all or nothing" element that works for better because...bear with me...a bit hard to explain...if you know that you have to eat ONLY the formal diet's packaged meals, eating anything outside of that would feel too unsettling and uncomfortable.
lynnien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #7  

Default D2G Reply

Is D2G tolerable? What about their sodium levels? Do you get enough food for the price?
trebor1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #8  

I think that perhaps one reason why people are more likely to lose on Medifast and wonder slim is because of the quick and significant weight loss. It naturally motivates people to continue to stay on plan, and also, to want to learn the habits of healthy eating to keep it off.
I too am a bringer. I always do well on any weight loss program in the beginning but then my intense cravings cause me to binge. Then, my strict "all or nothing" way of thinking slowly leads me off plan.
I've tried them all-WW, Jenny, NS and Medifast. Wonder slim is next. I have 6 more pounds to lose.
I recommend Medifast or Wonder slim (from what I've heard about it). The quick and significant loss is motivating. Those plans have to be followed exactly as designed, though.
But, I too, have to learn to deal with the intense "get in the car and drive" cravings and binging, or else no diet plan will ever have lasting results.

Last edited by M0728; 03-09-2012 at 06:07 AM.
M0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #9  

Everyones input in this forum was very helpful! I am identically suffering with the same problem and questions! My Mom tried nutisystem lost 20lbs but could not stick to it due to its bland and sometimes untolerable taste... I have never heard of diet 2 go or wonderslim are those nation wide, like jenny craig and nutrisystem?
CapriNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ame D View Post
Thank you for your input. The binging thing I cannot explain, it's almost like robotic and I don't even raelize how much I just ate of whatever. I do not purge at all, unless Im sick or whatever or on a plane (i can't control it!). But I have also planned to ask about that Phentermine medication to jump start it AND doing Medifast maybe together. My portions are huge issue, because I never feel satisfied. So having a slight appetite killing plus a realistic portion might be helpful.

Thanks and congrats on your success!
I was thinking to myself that you could use some form of appetite suppressant, but you might want to go the more natural route of it if possible. Maybe meds can help, but I'm not really big on them. Just run a search for natural appetite suppressants and you should come up with something that can work for you.

If you DO take meds however, just be sure to still work at getting to a point where you don't need them, as you don't want to become dependent on them.
FattyFatFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #11  

Default answer to above ?s regarding Diet To Go

-no problem with sodium
-it's national
-it's tolerable
-you get enough food for the price
lynnien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #12  

I would recommend HMR. It is what worked for me. It might depend on where you live but if you could go in person there is this plan called "decision free" where you only eat their food. You are medically monitored and you take supplements (and some is in the food). That was perfect for me because I could be sure of my calories. I hate to cook. And I could be sure I wasn't hurting myself.

I found the HMR food great and you could make different things with it.

The decision free made you go to a real class (not like weight watchers) where they took it seriously and every 1/2 week you would call in with your coach.

I lost the weight fast and I was not hungry. There is something about their high volume low calorie food and just eating their food that really helped me not engage in the usual cheating behaviors. I lost 60 lbs.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 250/200/175

Height: 5 6'

I feel like its totally a mental attitude. If you look at it like its a health risk if you do not do something about it then that might help. I had high blood pressure/cholesterol and borderline diabetic so thats why I knew I had to get help and do something about it. I am currently on the ITG diet. It is low carb/calorie meal plan and has been working well for me. I have lost 50 pounds in 4 months in preparation for a cruise I am going on. I have always been nervous about the appetite suppressants and have looked at similar plans however this seemed to be a little bit cheaper. I'have a personal coach who helps me through tough times which seems like what you are going through as well. Wish you the best!
yoyogirl65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

What is the wonder slim program
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I have been using diet to go for almost 3 months now and am 1.6 lb away from 30 lbs lost! I love it, it takes away that option for me to make the wrong choice. I went through my fridge and pantries and threw pretty much everything away, save for a couple canned and frozen items in case of a shipment delay or emergency.

I started out on the low fat 1300 calorie plan and switched to low carb. On low carb my weight has been dropping faster but I'm switching back because the food (in my opinion) is not as good. I was surprised by how much I like the food they've provided. I did nutrisystem a few years ago and the food was just ugh! Plus you had to spend so much adding fruits and veggies, dtg includes those with your plan.

As for the price it varies by plan, I think low carb was about $185/week (with shipping) low fat/1300 was $165 if I remember correctly. You don't have to buy any additional items if you are on the 3 meals/7 days a week plan, the only thing I go to the store for is coffee and bottled water.

The order coming today or tomorrow is scary, I switched to only lunch/dinner, I will have to be brave and make healthy breakfasts for myself. Ahh lol
MAK247 is offline   Reply With Quote