Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #16  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthhappy View Post
Hi -- I wanted to thank you because of your pictures and links (and noodlebeans) I'm confidently choosing Pure Foods over Bistro -- I'm not necessarily gluten free-- but more wheat free -- I thought I'd risk it over at Bistro and just say no pasta meals but. . . (chronic fatigue, swollen joints -- I just want to be well -- and less weight will help that more than anything!)

So, I'll be signing up when I'm back in town around the 19th. Look forward to it.
Oh, cool! We can check in on each other.

Yeah, the hard part about doing BistroMD and saying "no pasta," is that you're still gonna get dishes that have sauces thickened with flour, breaded things, even vegetables that have seasoning that is adhered using a coating of flour. Of course, that's a bigger issue for folks with full-on Celiac or a gluten allergy, whereas my situation is just that I'm so much healthier without wheat in my diet.

Sounds like that's the case for you too.

I have a few more meals that I've photographed, and delivery number two is due today! But my 3FC blog says that I've used 98% of my file upload allowance, so I have to figure out if that means deleting the old BistroMD photos or resizing everything or moving over to another site to have more space. Decisions, decisions!

I'm glad to know the food photos have been helpful! I know when I was shopping around, getting to SEE actual food (not just what's on the company's website) was a huge factor, and there's very little of that info out there, so I'm happy to add to it, so those who are trying to decide, now, have data that helps!

Safe travels!
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 215/215/152

Height: 5'6"

I started a blog as well -- and one on Word Press just so I can put as many pictures as I want. Pretty motivated by that gal I read yesterday around these forums 'somewhere' lol- lost 67 pounds: loved herself as much at the beginning as she did at the end. Pretty cool.

I am going to put up pictures this weekend. And even though I haven't actually 'started' and I think this is a lifestyle change rather than a temporary way to live -- I did get mostly protein snacks -- I have brown rice cakes (even though it's extruded and compressed-I'll blog about it eventually) and almond butter with organic apple slices from Costco (easy peasy those snack bags -- when I'm less fat and more healthy I'll take more care of the environment. -- My blood sugar isn't happy so I bought some L-glutamine to help with that. The holidays. It doesn't take much to tip that blood sugar scale and then start craving sugar -- I had one fast food meal last week and it just made me hungry for the rest of the day. Anyway I digress.
I'll let you know when I get my first package. We can be a thread of two! lol

A gal asked earlier why buy through a Packaged Meal program when you can fix it at home. Well, I used to love to cook -- but the kids are gone and I work in the art medium -- my creativity gets split when I cook. Also, truly it's the cutting and chopping -- for about two months I just want to eat what's put in front of me without thinking. I don't believe a diet should be thinking so much about food and the next meal. So for me I actually believe this will teach me how not to think about food the same way. I've already been to WW and all those other diets -- this isn't my first rodeo -- I don't think it's any of ours.

I also think the older I've got and the more I listened to diet guru's and went up and down -- and didn't listen to myself -- the more inflammation my body holds -- so my liver doesn't detox as well as it should -- so now I have to be more careful of what I eat -- well, thx for listening - Now I have blog material for today! Hopefully -between watching football and taking down the tree.

Take Care

Last edited by Healthhappy; 01-07-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: grammer
Healthhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #18  
blissfully gluten-free

Talking

Quote:
I started a blog as well -- and one on Word Press just so I can put as many pictures as I want. Pretty motivated by that gal I read yesterday around these forums 'somewhere' lol- lost 67 pounds: loved herself as much at the beginning as she did at the end. Pretty cool.
That's awesome. I may move over to one of those free WordPress blogs, because I went through and looked at my stored photos from BistroMD and now PureFoods and I really don't want to delete any of them, because it's good info to have out there, when you're the one searching for info on a diet before sinking your money into it. I may try to get that done soon!

I *love* hearing about people who love themselves just the same through this process! That's so important.

Quote:
I am going to put up pictures this weekend.
Ooh, get me a link when you can. I want to visit!

Quote:
And even though I haven't actually 'started' and I think this is a lifestyle change rather than a temporary way to live -- I did get mostly protein snacks -- I have brown rice cakes (even though it's extruded and compressed-I'll blog about it eventually) and almond butter with organic apple slices from Costco (easy peasy those snack bags -- when I'm less fat and more healthy I'll take more care of the environment. -- My blood sugar isn't happy so I bought some L-glutamine to help with that. The holidays. It doesn't take much to tip that blood sugar scale and then start craving sugar -- I had one fast food meal last week and it just made me hungry for the rest of the day. Anyway I digress.
Snack bags are such a good way to handle snacks. Even for the ones you prep yourself! I love knowing "this is 100 calories" when I grab and go. Very smart!

Quote:
I'll let you know when I get my first package. We can be a thread of two! lol
Works for me! Wishing you loads of good luck and I'm excited to cheer you on! I have *great* news. I'm down two pounds and my waist is down 3.5" since I started this 12 days ago! CRAZY! I love it!

Quote:
A gal asked earlier why buy through a Packaged Meal program when you can fix it at home. Well, I used to love to cook -- but the kids are gone and I work in the art medium -- my creativity gets split when I cook. Also, truly it's the cutting and chopping -- for about two months I just want to eat what's put in front of me without thinking. I don't believe a diet should be thinking so much about food and the next meal. So for me I actually believe this will teach me how not to think about food the same way. I've already been to WW and all those other diets -- this isn't my first rodeo -- I don't think it's any of ours.
Yup. I'm with you, there. I know for a fact that diet delivery WORKS for me, and I just have to strengthen the muscle memory for making better choices, regularly, and then not let weight creep back on before getting back on track. I have been loving just going into the kitchen, opening the fridge, picking out the next meal, zapping it, and going from there. So easy. And it's totally worth it, for me. I'm eating better than I would on my own, for sure!

With VERY little exception, I'm loving every one of these PureFoods meals. I think I've eaten three things I won't order again, but I didn't *hate* them, just don't prefer them. That's pretty good.

Quote:
I also think the older I've got and the more I listened to diet guru's and went up and down -- and didn't listen to myself -- the more inflammation my body holds -- so my liver doesn't detox as well as it should -- so now I have to be more careful of what I eat -- well, thx for listening - Now I have blog material for today! Hopefully -between watching football and taking down the tree.

Take Care
You too! Hope your team did well! AND I hope you're off to a good start with PureFoods if your delivery has arrived. I had to tell them to NOT deliver my week three, because I'll be traveling and my goal will be to not undo the good stuff I've done in these first couple of weeks. And find ways to exercise while traveling. That'll be interesting!

Woo hoo!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #19  

Hi Grace -- my little blog is http ://healthhappydiet.com/

I'm still waiting to officially start the eating plan until after my travel trip. Though I am sticking to mostly protein and Vegies. Scheduling my food to be delivered a week from Friday. Though I don't zap anymore -- tossed the micro-wave and will spare you the details. That's partially why I'm so glad PureFoods allows one to use a toaster over. The other pre-packaged don't.

I find when I travel and eat out a lot the best rule to implement is
food-combining. And re: exercise -- just stick to the 10 minute rule -- 10 minutes brisk walk when ever, where ever you can. And I (used to) do girl push-ups and sit-ups -- hits all the muscle groups and doesn't require special time management during a busy trip.

Have fun where ever you are going!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #20  
blissfully gluten-free

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi Grace -- my little blog is http ://healthhappydiet.com/
Fantastic blog! Wow! Thanks for sharing. I've been trying to get mine moved over from the 3FC blogs to my own WordPress blog, but it's slow-going. I'm inspired by yours and I hope you're feeling better! Smart to rest.

Quote:
I'm still waiting to officially start the eating plan until after my travel trip. Though I am sticking to mostly protein and Vegies. Scheduling my food to be delivered a week from Friday. Though I don't zap anymore -- tossed the micro-wave and will spare you the details. That's partially why I'm so glad PureFoods allows one to use a toaster over. The other pre-packaged don't.
Cool! I'm probably microwaving more than using the toaster oven, but there are definitely some foods that are better that way, so I'm glad to have options. I took a week off from delivery due to travel and now I'm back and, even though I gained weight on my trip (shocker) it was all gone two days later, and back on the plan. That's pretty impressive.

I'm really enjoying how much FIBER I get with this diet. Really cool!

Quote:
I find when I travel and eat out a lot the best rule to implement is
food-combining. And re: exercise -- just stick to the 10 minute rule -- 10 minutes brisk walk when ever, where ever you can. And I (used to) do girl push-ups and sit-ups -- hits all the muscle groups and doesn't require special time management during a busy trip.

Have fun where ever you are going!
That's a smart tip! Thank you. I didn't see it before I left, but I'll be traveling a lot this year, so I'll try to keep at it. I just retain so much water when I'm on airplanes, and I really can't control so many of my food offerings at some of the places I visit, but I try to make the best choice THERE that I can. Better than nothing!

Hope This week was a good one! I'm excited to be home, back on the Wii Fit, back on the PureFoods, and hopefully getting my blog restored and out there soon.

I did update my tickers. Back down to where I was ten days ago on weight, down another half-inch on the waste. Yay!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #21  

HI Grace -- so glad you liked my blog! My enthusiasm has waned as this pinched nerve in my back is somewhat of a setback. I can't sit for very long over a computer typing!

I got my Pure Foods Box on Friday -- so exciting -- but I'm such a worry/perfectionist -- too much packaging, look at all this plastic that is not recyclable -- I have to keep telling myself weight and health FIRST!

Also, little miss negativity that I can be -- I counted calories for the day on the back of packages, 700-800 -- I was very uncharitable in my thoughts! "Sure anyone can lose weight that way!" Totally forgetting I wanted gluten free, no grocery shopping, just eat whats in front of me for two months - and I didn't order it with snacks.

Knowing that I swim and will need 1200 calories to lose weight -- I will add daily yogurt with or without 1/2 banana (and maybe 1/8 cup grapenuts depending on activity for the day) -- or apple and cheese stick -- almond butter on Ezikial bread -- or a Whey (Robbs) protein shake -- found a way to make one with raw almond butter, almond milk, water & ice that is REALLY good!

I tell you i've been walking more, sticking to more vegies -- very little salt, staying away from the popcorn at the movie theater, no going out to eat, stopping just before full, also I use butter or coconut or olive oil when I use a fat -- and my wedding ring is ready to drop off and a pair of jeans that 'just fit' could have been pulled straight off of me yesterday!!

small changes -- I almost feel undeserving -- my kids said, "mom, you've lost weight" and another person asked how -- I eat well, whole foods. Start walking, eat less - I don't know -- I'm just staying aware of my 'diet' of life.

So, I made my breakfast with a true skeptics lack of faith. Eggs, the vegie omelet -- has a foodie I'm thinking eggs! no one can make pre-cooked eggs taste good! Holy Cow was I surprised! I cooked in a small fry pan that was already seasoned with left-over coconut oil, put a lid on it on med-lo for about 4 minutes, threw the cheese on for another 1 minute, plated it and wha-la! I was totally shocked on how good it tasted.

A great start; I'm off to the races! Will do another weigh-in on Friday and see how far I've come. i'm almost afraid to as I've been going on how I feel and that scale can undermine that, but there has to be a measure for others to see if I'm going to blog about it.

I can't wait until you are back from your trip and we are both on the same page!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #22  
Nichole

I ordered a Pure Foods Fresh Start package from Sam's... just the lunches and dinners. I am definitely pleased with the quality of the food. But I find I'm still hungry after dinner! Part of the problem may be that I'm not eating enough during the day so by the time I get home I'm starving, but it's hard to tell. Do y'all have anything else with or after dinner?

Thanks,
Nichole
nitenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #23  
blissfully gluten-free

Thumbs up

Quote:
HI Grace -- so glad you liked my blog! My enthusiasm has waned as this pinched nerve in my back is somewhat of a setback. I can't sit for very long over a computer typing!
Sending you }}}}vibes{{{{ for your back. I know that's tough.

Quote:
I got my Pure Foods Box on Friday -- so exciting -- but I'm such a worry/perfectionist -- too much packaging, look at all this plastic that is not recyclable -- I have to keep telling myself weight and health FIRST!
I know. I went through that too. Then I realized all the lids, all the food containers, the box itself, that stuff is recyclable. Sure, the styro and the gel-packs, they're not, but I don't see me adding to the landfills like this forever (and certainly, this is better than fast food containers or a bunch of disposable coffee cups or other things I *don't* use). But... I know.

Quote:
Also, little miss negativity that I can be -- I counted calories for the day on the back of packages, 700-800 -- I was very uncharitable in my thoughts! "Sure anyone can lose weight that way!" Totally forgetting I wanted gluten free, no grocery shopping, just eat whats in front of me for two months - and I didn't order it with snacks.
Right. I did that first math too and said, "OH! So we're barely hitting 900 calories a day with this stuff! Got it!" and then I added in milk and yogurt and fruit and veggies and *sometimes* a cocktail or two, which is a great way to be sure I don't feel deprived. So far so good. And yes, the convenience of not having to CHECK to see if there's wheat gluten... that's awesome.

Quote:
Knowing that I swim and will need 1200 calories to lose weight -- I will add daily yogurt with or without 1/2 banana (and maybe 1/8 cup grapenuts depending on activity for the day) -- or apple and cheese stick -- almond butter on Ezikial bread -- or a Whey (Robbs) protein shake -- found a way to make one with raw almond butter, almond milk, water & ice that is REALLY good!
Fantastic plan! I like it!

Quote:
I tell you i've been walking more, sticking to more vegies -- very little salt, staying away from the popcorn at the movie theater, no going out to eat, stopping just before full, also I use butter or coconut or olive oil when I use a fat -- and my wedding ring is ready to drop off and a pair of jeans that 'just fit' could have been pulled straight off of me yesterday!!
Wow! That's impressive! I love it! My wedding ring got loose too and that is so much fun, but my jeans are still "on" so I have a bit to go, even though my waist (not WASTE, as I said in a post above -- -- eesh) is lower. My hips are stubborn. Hee!

I went out for dinner with a friend and found myself making REALLY good choices (like, REALLY good) and it felt great! Usually, I'm the one who says, "Oh yes! Let's get that appetizer and share it!" and this time, I said, "Oh, no. I'm fine with just my entree." That was nice.

Quote:
small changes -- I almost feel undeserving -- my kids said, "mom, you've lost weight" and another person asked how -- I eat well, whole foods. Start walking, eat less - I don't know -- I'm just staying aware of my 'diet' of life.

So, I made my breakfast with a true skeptics lack of faith. Eggs, the vegie omelet -- has a foodie I'm thinking eggs! no one can make pre-cooked eggs taste good! Holy Cow was I surprised! I cooked in a small fry pan that was already seasoned with left-over coconut oil, put a lid on it on med-lo for about 4 minutes, threw the cheese on for another 1 minute, plated it and wha-la! I was totally shocked on how good it tasted.
I too was surprised by the quality of the eggs. Noodlebean -- a 3FC friend I made in 2008, here -- blogged about many of these diet delivery programs and she didn't enjoy the eggs from any of the programs, I think. So, I had braced myself not to enjoy the eggs. Turns out, they're GREAT! So, yay!

Quote:
A great start; I'm off to the races! Will do another weigh-in on Friday and see how far I've come. i'm almost afraid to as I've been going on how I feel and that scale can undermine that, but there has to be a measure for others to see if I'm going to blog about it.
Well, I understand that. I really do. I was afraid to step on the scales after my travel, because I really did think I had put on a BUNCH of weight. I just had NO exercise and some really bad food choices. Amazing, that just two days back on the proverbial horse and I was back to where I was before I left.

I think maintaining during travel is about the best I can hope for!

Quote:
I can't wait until you are back from your trip and we are both on the same page!
Oh, I'm back and will be traveling again in mid-Feb. I have a trip per month set up, so it's a little bit predictable, but still something I'm hoping to come up with a good plan for managing.

Again, I hope you're feeling better and I'll let you know when my blog is up and running again. 'til then, we can check in here. I'm glad to have your support too!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #24  
blissfully gluten-free

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenic View Post
I ordered a Pure Foods Fresh Start package from Sam's... just the lunches and dinners. I am definitely pleased with the quality of the food. But I find I'm still hungry after dinner! Part of the problem may be that I'm not eating enough during the day so by the time I get home I'm starving, but it's hard to tell. Do y'all have anything else with or after dinner?

Thanks,
Nichole
Nichole, check the calories on your food packages. I'm on gluten-free, so I don't know if what you're buying at Sam's is the same, but my meals are all 240 to 370 calories, tops. So, I always do have to add a little something to my day, or I won't come close to 1000 calories, which would be unhealthy for me.

If I can get to more like 1200 to 1500, I'm better off, because I do try to exercise AT LEAST every other day, if not daily (depends on my travel). My metabolism won't even get cooking if I eat only 1000 calories per day.

I'm bummed you're not getting the breakfasts at Sam's. I'm surprised, but it's the breakfasts I seem to enjoy the most, from PureFoods, so far! Strange, because I'm so NOT a breakfast eater, generally, but hey, it's cool! I'll take it.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenic View Post

Thanks,
Nichole
Morning Nichole (and Grace!) -- Yay, a thread of three! Nicole -- get food in that tummy during the day!! Eat breakfast - even if it's only a cup of yogurt - stops my blood sugar from crashing, plus it tells your body to be hungry a few hours later so you eat during the day and not everything at night.
As Grace says I supplement with other food as well. Less than 1200 calories and my body will hold on to fat like there's no tomorrow! Yesterday was yogurt, apple, about 5 large strawberries and 2 cheese sticks. I was surprised at how hungry I wasn't last night (I think due to the GI type food served all day) -- But, when hubby cooked the smells had a definite impact on the body/mind thinking it was hungry when it wasn't and truly, food commercials should be banned after 8 pm! I never notice them until I am restricting my calories consciously.

Yesterday they sent two quinoa packages because they had to substitute for a dinner they didn't have so I had to get creative for dinner, plus I was a little hungry. I had some mushrooms and broccoli on hand and 1/2 sautéed them in broth and coconut oil (tsp) then added the dinner and some chipolte powder for some depth -- made for a hearty meal! I was craving a salad with dinner so I'll make sure I have some greens, celery and radishes in the fridge.

Good Luck! Look forward to your update!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by full of grace View Post
Sending you }}}}vibes{{{{ for your back. I know that's tough.

That truly made me feel better!

but I don't see me adding to the landfills like this forever (and certainly, this is better than fast food containers or a bunch of disposable coffee cups or other things I *don't* use). But... I know.

Yes! Good points all. Guilt free again! thx

I went out for dinner with a friend and found myself making REALLY good choices (like, REALLY good) and it felt great! Usually, I'm the one who says, "Oh yes! Let's get that appetizer and share it!" and this time, I said, "Oh, no. I'm fine with just my entree." That was nice.

No kidding REALLY good choices! This is wonderful! It's the kind of thing that is the intangible success/change. Wow, I could hear myself saying that the next time --

Well, I understand that. I really do. I was afraid to step on the scales after my travel, because I really did think I had put on a BUNCH of weight. I just had NO exercise and some really bad food choices. Amazing, that just two days back on the proverbial horse and I was back to where I was before I left.

I think maintaining during travel is about the best I can hope for!

Do your best -- you sound pretty confident and that goes a long way to making those great choices. Do you walk or drink extra water? that kind of thing? Or are you pretty much stuck with certain food fares?

Oh, I'm back and will be traveling again in mid-Feb. I have a trip per month set up, so it's a little bit predictable, but still something I'm hoping to come up with a good plan for managing.

You will! You are inspiring the heck out of me already!

Again, I hope you're feeling better and I'll let you know when my blog is up and running again. 'til then, we can check in here. I'm glad to have your support too!
Looking forward to your blog! I'm much better today! I can finally wash & put my clothes away from my trip!

Putting pictures up of yesterdays' meals I hope today. So far I'm in the honeymoon phase of opening packages and eating -- couldn't help wonder how I'm going to feel pulling out one of those meals in a month -- so I've decided I have to find a way to keep it new and fresh. Maybe have three colored markers and quickly scribble happy faces and flowers on the meals (color code B, L, D) so when I pull them out I see my little mark of positive choice - later -

Must commit to a 10 minute walk today. So announcing it here for accountability.

Hope your day goes well!

Last edited by Healthhappy; 01-24-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #27  
blissfully gluten-free

Arrow

Eesh! I'm so far behind. I have all the photos and reviews loaded into my new WordPress blog, but I haven't finished the import from the old posts from my 3FC WP blog, and I want to put it all up at once, rather than a bit at a time. (Not sure why.)

But I have to say, I keep saying to my husband, "Ooh, I *so* like this food," and that's really fantastic, to be able to say at this point. I really look forward to some of the meals (some more than others) and there are only three that I've decided I just don't like (the chicken ones, mainly).

I worked out HARD this morning, and it felt great. I was expecting a high weigh-in, but not only was I down from last week, but my Wii Fit told me I had gone into "overweight" (from "obese") and I remember when that happened my first journey, here (I was also crossing from the 200s into "onederland," back then) and it is reason to celebrate.

I'm so excited about how good I feel. Gotta travel late next week, and yeah, I hope to do more walking and I always drink a TON of water (I actually don't drink sodas, teas, coffee, or anything other than water -- unless it's cocktail time, heh heh), so even though my food choices are limited, I think knowing I'm headed in the right direction otherwise, I may make even better choices on this next trip than I did in January, because I really don't want to undo the good I'm doing.

How's your back? I haven't had a chance to check your blog, but I really hope you're feeling great and that all is well! Heck, with EVERYONE reading this thread! Hope everything is going well!

Here's to a short, but powerful, month of getting fit! Yay!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #28  
blissfully gluten-free

Exclamation

Experienced my first delivery snafu with PureFoods today (week five) and called customer service and (it seems) I rubbed the CSR the wrong way at some point.

Oy. Whatever. Bummed to not receive a breakfast (my favorite meal of the day that PureFoods does) that I love (one of my two favorite breakfasts) and hopeful the credit will show up as promised. Will keep an eye on that and let y'all know.

Still, really happy with PureFoods and working on getting my blog with photos back up and running, since I know the reviews are helpful to folks trying to decide on a plan.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #29  
blissfully gluten-free

Arrow

Bleh. ANOTHER week with the exact same snafu. The exact same meal left out of the delivery.

I called, but it was after hours this time. Left a voicemail. We'll see.

Also kind of getting bored with the food. Not because it's not delicious (it really is), but because I only have so many options, and, well, I like variety.

Headed out of town for a bit so we'll see where we go from here, but just wanted to update the situation. Hope everyone is rockin'!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #30  
Turtle Extraordinaire

I'm enjoying your progress reports, Grace. I've been doing PureFoods off and on for a long time, though not the gluten-free version. I've been getting a bunch of snafus lately, and today I had a talk with Susan in customer service. She's great, by the way. Anyway, she said they're changing their menu a bit, which the web site hasn't caught up with yet. Also, the shipping department installed some new software, and it's not working the way they thought it would. They're having a bunch of issues.

After my years (yes, years) of being on this program, this is the first time I've had so many shipping and supply problems. I hope they get them worked out soon. In the meantime, I'm thinking of trying another company's food. Was BistroMD as good as PureFoods? Better? Thoughts welcome. I've never done any home delivery program but PureFoods and am thinking I should remedy that.
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote