Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/212.0/170

Height: 5'10"

Default Bistro MD vs Diets to Go vs ??

Hi ya'll.

I need some advice. I've been looking at Bistro MD and Diets to Go. From any members who've used both, what are the advantages to each?

Basically, I'm looking for a system that has food that is on the healthier side, as in no preservatives and nasty chemical stuff (ie Nutrisystem---IT'S VILE STUFF!!)

I was considering Jenny Craig, but it seems to be full of highly processed junk, which I'd like to say I would like to stay away from.

I'm not really sure.

What would be your guys' recommendations?

And do you guys think that by using one of these systems it is a genuinely healthy way to lose weight? I'm really concerned about gaining massive weight back once stopping these meals.

Last edited by HopefulAgain; 06-11-2010 at 11:20 PM.
HopefulAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #2  

I have to laugh at the irony of this. I was on both plans through Diet To Go. I did not like their low fat plan at all (way too many breads and carbs and I always felt their calories were way off). I stayed on their low carb for a while. If you read through the Bistro thread out here, you will see that I was literally just talking about this. One of the reasons I am so in love with Bistro right now is their food! It tastes so clean. That is something I said from the beginning. It's ironic that you should ask this. I think it's important to be brutally honest when asked an honest question and here's my personal take on it. It's the cleanest and tastiest of all the diet plans I have been on (Pure Foods, Diet To Go, Nutrisystems, Jenny Craig and Medfast).

Diet to Go was the tastiest of the bunch until I tried Bistro however I never really lost much weight on DTG. The only one I could tolerate was their low carb plan however their food always tasted a little too saucy and greasy. Some of it was very good, but it lacked that clean taste (and it was loaded with fat and calories). They offered so much chicken and pork and that would be fine if they both didn't taste the same and had this strange, really salty seasoning that ruined it for me. I had to keep picking the beef dishes and that sort of defeated the purpose for me (the fish is to die for though). The calories were so high that it left very little snacking room for me. Many of the low carb days with three meals were at least 1200-1500 or more (one was at 1700)! That left me with no snacking room period. Some days were 1100, but not many! I loved the low carb food, but never really lost much weight and felt unhealthy on it. I just didn't like what I was putting into my body. I have severe IBS and can't handle the fruit and yogurt they want you to eat on the low fat either (plus they had so much bread that it was overkill for me). Bistro's veggies taste so clean and are steamed fresh, so they do not cause me any gastronomical problems Even the fruit is cooked like their baked apple, papaya and chicken dishes.

I was thinking of going back to Jenny, but then I dreaded it because she rarely gets any new foods and after a month or so I am ready to give up. They need to stop telling people to spice it up and just get some new foods (grrr)! A soup or a new dessert is not what we had in mind after waiting for a year! I know many others that complained about this too. I am a lifetime member, but I can't face those same foods again (though I loved the French Toast and Pot Stickers and the desserts are incredible)! They are loaded with junk though and you have to go to the store and buy a lot of accompaniments. Nutyrisystems was like dog food to me. I tried to love that one because it was so cheap, but God help me I could not eat that food. I really tried. very hard.

I was never happy with Pure Foods using regular gel packs instead of dry ice and shipping regular ground! I also thought the beef dishes were super stringy. Too many carrots too. I did not want to do Bistro because of the price. Avoided it like the plague. I finally sat down and realized I have just got to get this weight off of me no matter what it costs! If it works, it's worth it! I talked to my BF and placed an order with Biggest Loser (a little cheaper than Bistro, but made in the same kitchens by the same company). I liked that it was created by physicians and what's used to feed the people on the Biggest Loser show who say the food is awesome. Well they were right! I am on my fourth week and I have lost almost 9 pounds.

This is the only diet I have ever been on where I honestly do not feel like I am giving up a thing! The food is delicious! It's gourmet and clean tasting and healthy and so low in calories!! I don't know how they do it because they give you so much and the food is so filling but most dishes are under 350 calories! That gives me about 400 calories per day to use as snacking calories! I feel better lately. I was really dragging for a long time. I feel lighter and spunkier and I think the food is not only delicious, but helping me to feel better. It feels and tastes so healthy and I don't see myself getting sick of this food as quickly as I did the others. It's just very different. Very gourmet and high end. Unusual dishes with healthy sauces and tastes that don't bore me. I am loving the food!

I do my own snacks because of the soy. Many of these companies use a lot of soy in things like snacks and I can't have that. I like doing my own snacks. I drink a nice cup of hot cocoa at night. I have a handful of nuts or some low fat cream cheese or peanut butter on a Wasa Crispbread, string cheese. Stuff like that, and I get to have 300 to 400 calories worth and still be under 1400 calories per day! I love those delicious chocolate bars Atkins makes and they taste amazing! That's what really sold me about Bistro. The snacking freedom and the taste of their food. The chicken is to die for! The wraps are incredible! Of course it all boils down to personal choice, but since you asked, that's my personal take. Bistro is more expensive, but totally worth it!

Good luck at whatever plan you choose (and read through the various threads as that will help to give you perspective on all of the programs)!
Lisa1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

I have not tried Bistro MD, but they do not seem to have a lower carb option. I liked the low-carb option on Diets-to-Go. I didn't eat additional snacks, so the calories were not too high for me.

I was impressed with most of the foods. I only tried it for a couple of weeks early on in my weight-loss journey. I now prepare most of my own food, but I've often thought about ordering a week's supply to store in the freezer to "fill in" when I don't want to cook.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 AM   #4  

Thanks for the info, Lisa and CJZee!!

I've decided to go with BistroMD. It's only 1 week, after all. The price is a little steep, but I would like to at least give it a try. My problem with eating on my own is I go into the routine of eating too little, or eating too much of the bad stuff. I'm not good at portioning my meals with good, healthy things, so I'm hoping this will be beneficial in that aspect.

I'm just afraid that if I get really used to these types of meals, when I stop getting them and start eating on my own, I will gain everything back. But I guess in the process of getting them delivered and eating them, I will learn what is good and what is bad for me.

Thanks again. And will try to give updates.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #5  

I have big trouble eating on my own (mainly because I don't have the time or energy for all the thinking, planning, shopping and cooking). The only way for me is definitely meal delivery. It really does teach you habits that you take with you. I eat much smaller portions due to what I have learned through meal delivery. It's finding the right one that can be quite the task. I do know that some people like the food so much on certain programs, that they stay on it once they lose the weight just because of the convenience factor. I may be one of those because I really like the food and the convenience of it (and I am learning what the right foods are and what the right sized portions should be). I don't have time to do a lot of cooking and shopping (and I don't have a family with kids so it's easy for me to stay on something like this well past the point where I've lost the weight).

Some people are hoppers. They stay on meal delivery for life so to speak. They get bored with one plan and simply shift to another for 5 or 6 months and so on. That way you get new foods all the time and don't have to shop, cook or plan and yet you learn things along the way in case you do want to take the time to lay it all out for yourself.

No matter what you choose, I wish you the best of luck!
Lisa1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #6  

I'm so excited!! Got my first delivery today. I was surprised everything was still frozen because I was supposed to have received it yesterday, but they had some sort of problem with going to a similar sounding street and not delivering.

Stuffed everything into the freezer (and I mean STUFFED) and am excited to begin tomorrow. I hope and pray this is exactly what I need to get the remainder of this weight off!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #7  

They all really depend on your taste and time available. With nutrisystem, I know you receive prepared meals that you only have to heat to eat, but you have to also buy certain foods on the list provided to count for protein

Last edited by FattyFatFat; 07-17-2010 at 12:54 PM.
FattyFatFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

I researched both Bistro MD and Diet-to-go and much as I could before I decided. I liked that diet to go had meal plan options - especially vegeterian. But a number of sites complained about too many additives. Oh, and one of the "lunches" was hummus, pita, and carrots. That doesn't cut it for me! I'm a quantity eater. I'd rather eat an entire bunch of steamed broccoli than one half cup of hummus! I like that BistroMD meals are low enough in calories to supplement with dairy, fruits, and salads as snacks. I started on Bistro this week and have been pretty pleased. Truthfully, the meals aren't as good as restaurant or homemade, but I didn't really expect that. They are FAR superior to supermarket frozen and/or fastfood. I have found all meals to be pretty tasty and the portion size is good -- I;m usually pretty full after eating.
Best of luck!

Last edited by Jen516; 08-05-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote