Mirtika's Reviews of WonderSlim Products

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I'll post as I try them. Here is a repost from another review thread, so I can keep my reviews HERE in one place:

I got my order of WonderSlim stuff Wednesday. I did not order the starter kit, but ordered what seemed to be decently reviewed to sample and add more protein to my own self-designed meals.

HOT CAKES--these kept me satisfied a decently long time. Nice. The mix is super easy to make, cooks in a pan (don't overcook), and smells and tastes nicely vanilla-ey. However, the texture is like other high protein hotcakes--not quite what you might be used to. Dryer. BUT..that said, I add sugar free pancake syrup and enjoyed having "pancakes" that didn't blow my sugar levels up (my glucose is normal, but I have Metabolic Syndrome and had numbers going up back some years before I addressed this, so I prefer to keep sugar/carbs down these days). I'd reorder this for the luxury of hotcakes, even if not as good as regular. The lower calorie count is lovely.

Note: I cooked them on lower heat a bit longer, and much better. They didn't brown (just got a deeper color, but not BROWNED as one might do pancakes), but they fluffed up nicer and not a thing wrong withthe flavor. Just drier, still, than one is used to. I reordered 3 boxes today as they are on sale, two bucks or so off each box.

Creamy Hot Chocolate: Nice. Does get a creamyish texture and if you nuke a brief spell it after stirring, it's even better (gets a tad foamier). It's only mildly chocolatey and it's somewhat sweeter than I'd prefer (When I make hot chocolate, I make it quite chocolatey with raw cacao powder and very little sweetener, as I like to really experience the milky chocolate taste principally than the sweet taste.) Nice with some BariWise biscotti dipped. Nice dose of protein for so few calories

Vegetarian Joe: I made a sandwhich on whole wheat lite bread. It was a VERY small serving, but adequate for a sandwich with a slice of lowfat american cheese and two slices of tomator. Nice and filling that way for me. It came out to less then 300 cals for a high protein sandwich with fiber. I'd consider putting this on top if FiberGourmet lower-carb, lower-calorie, superhigh fiber pasta for a very filling dinner, plus veggies. It surely can be eaten alone, with maybe some cheddar shreds and lite sour cream for a still lower-carb lunch with some nice salad or a piece of fruit for fresh side.

NOTE: I had it the second time over a cup of the FiberGourmet spaghetti that I had leftover from dinner the day before, and it was very nice. I added chopped tomato and some cheddar, for a total calorie count around 450 and a ton of fiber and good amount of protein and some calcium. Filling. For those on stricter diets, just cut back the FiberGourmet to 1/2 cup and use fat free cheese or skip the cheese and add more veggies. I had a WONDERSLIM Cran-Grape protein fruit drink with it, so more protein for me for 60 calories.

Cheese Steak Macaroni: Um. Average. Not horrible. Not Great. Cheese flavor is present and pleasant. The "meat" is chewy (like beef chips), but the overall experience I'd call merely acceptable/adequate/okay. I may or may not reorder, not sure. Very small portion (I had it as dinner), about a cup when all is cooked. I added a cup of sauteed spinach, a boiled egg, and a muesli roll with peanut to bring up the nutrient count and make me nice and full. For those keeping to the lower calorie or Wonderslim plan, definitely add your "greens"--broccoli or spinach or zucchini or all of them, lightly cooked (steamed, boiled, nuked, sauteed with little oil) or have a nice big salad to fill the portion hole.

Protein Shake and Pudding--I got the Chocolate Cream. I have not had it as a shake. I like it as a pudding, so I keep having it that way. It's not REALLY a pudding. It's more like a mousse texture..a bit "rough" mousse. There's a bit of a bitter and proteiny aftertaste, but I like the portion, the texture (well, I like mousses better than puddings) and the chocolateyness is adequate. I add a tablespoon of organic shredded unsweetened coconut and a few chips of the ChocoPerfection sugarfree dark chocolate baking chips to make it fancier and tastier. The additions are lowcarb but add nice flavor punches for maybe 30 more calories.

Chicken Vegetable Cream Soup
    : Um. Ew. Reminds me of when cup soups were newish on the scene years ago, and they were all sort of oversalted and not at all exciting. A little "creamy", too too too salty, slightly chickeny, small vegetable bits. I had half and put the rest in the fridge to see if it might work tomorrow as a "cold summer soup" touched up with some milk to cut the salt. This was the best rated of the soups, which is kinda scary. The portion is good, though.

Cinna Choco Crunch: I tasted a small palmful. Nice and crunchy. I like the cinnamon combo with chocolate (I thought I'd hate it). This I got as a sample, but I might get another bag. I've had a snack of the single bag twice --and I have more than half of the bag still left. I just use a few balls as a "dessert treat" after a saltier meal.
  • Oatmeal (Apple n Cinnamon) and Fruit Drink (Cran-Grape)
    I'll post reviews as I do them, so you may need to skim through thread to see future ones. I may later incorporate them here to have them all in one place, though.

OATMEAL:
    Ya know, there were sooo many reviews about how much better this was than MediFast oatmeal, so like real oatmeal, five-star reviews, that I'm thinking that MediFast oatmeal must be incredibly awful, cause this was passable. Now, if I had been eating the world's ickiest oatmeal and had this, I'd give it 5 stars, too, I guess. Flavor is apple n cinnamon. It did have a nice apple and cinnamon taste and the rolled oats were REAL and so the texture was nice (if not overcooked, like my first batch. Use less time than the directions and increase as needed). But like so many of the higher protein, lower calorie diet stuff I've tried over the years, there is this aftertaste, this bitterish undertone.

So, side by side with REAL oatmeal, it would get no more than 2 out of five stars (and that for the nutrients/low calorie/appleyness). If you compare it to some other diet protein/soy oatmeals I've tried, yes it fares better. I will say it fixes fast, is easy to eat once you get used to the aftertaste, and is filling for its portion. I like it as a side to eggs to quell my voracious appetite in the am, and as a snack between meals. Worth trying, especially if you are an oatmeal lover who has tried other diet/protein oatmeals and found them wanting. Texture and appley/cinnamoneyness saved this from being a loss. I did reorder (just so nicely filling, worth it to me).

ETA: When I added 1/3 cup of 2% milk with cinnamon, this became so much better. Wow. I really like it this way. But some of y'all might not like milk or want to keep VLC. Still, if you aren't averse to a bit more calories, try splashing cold milk to the cooked oatmeal and sprinkle more cinnamon. Nice.

WonderSlim Fruit Drink:
    I only tried Cran-Grape.
    Think diet Jello in liquid form. BUT..this is much better than the protein fruit drink I had in 2004 when I tried doing Atkins. I forget who it was from, Proti or Bari, but it was dreadful in my mouth, the texture. This one is liquidy and not weirdly textured, and it tastes fine--IF YOU LIKE the taste of diet jellos. So, that's pretty much the dividing line. If you hate the taste of diet gelatin, you won't like this flavored drink. But it's a nice change from hot chocolate or protein shakes and it's nice to add extra protein to a meal as a juice substitute.

It blended PERFECTLY in my Blender Bottle with Shaker ball. (My fave shaker cup of all time. It doesn't leak. That shaker ball is miraculous in blending stuff together. If your shaker bottles/cups leave you leaky or unblended, try it. I got it pretty cheap on Amazon.)
  • Chocomint Snack Bar & Strawberry Smoothis
    WS ChocoMint Snack Bar: Yeah, this is nice. It's a chewy texture (not crunchy) and tastes like you would expect, like a Thin Mint (my fave GS Cookie, btw). But the nutritionals are junk. I think these should be used very, very sparingly in the WS Diet. I had half of one bar for dessert yesterday. Did not derail my loss (I was 3/4 of a pound down from day before).

I think if you eat one third to one half of these bars, you will be fine. But if sweet/sugary things set you off on binges or mess up your loss trajectory, avoid them. Just read the ingredients--it's crap. And like a lot of candy/crap...tastes yummy. heh.

WS Smoothies: OH MY GOSH. I love this Strawberry Yogurt smoothie. I could not detect a nasty tone (like on some of the other protein stuff). Much tastier than the other shake, and it had strawberry bits. I think next time I will add thawed frozen strawberries to punch up nutritionals and taste, but I liked it fine as is. I used a BlenderBottle to shake it up, and it required A LOT OF SHAKING and I still had to use a knife to scrape the bottom and shake again. Normally, my shaker ball blender bottle gets everything mixed up. This one is a tad stubborn, but worth it. If you use a blender, it should be even better with ice. I just used cold water and a couple ice cubes in the bottle. The strawberry taste is like strawberry ice cream/frozen yogurt. Nice. I am buying 3 more boxes.
  • The Strawberry smoothies are yummy. I add a handful of frozen mixed berries. Nice morning pick me up.
  • I'm having the hot cakes right now that I topped with some strawberries (frozen, unsweetened, organic) that I nuked, added some Nature's Hollow sugar free syrup to give a mapley flavor to. Cran-grape drink as "juice". nice...
  • Mirtika - you should join us on the WS thread...we talk about lots of stuff!! Come on over!
  • Thanks for the invite, Kristikins. I figured since I didn't do the plan itself, but simply used WS products for snacks and some meals, not all, and added my own non-low-carb stuff, that I might not really fit in, ya know?

But I do check what folks have posted from time to time.

I wanted to post reviews, just cause I saw so few on here in an easily clicked place (other than the other couple useful reviews threads). For those of us, like me, who were looking for, "Okay, aside from all those Affiliate promotional WS butt-kissing link sites, what does this REALLY TASTE LIKE?" It seemed to me so many of the stuff that came up on google searches was promotional and not really helpful. This forum, thank God, is actually helpful.

Appreciate the inclusion...
  • Mirtika - so glad you joined us over there!! And I appreciate your reviews here!! Most of the stuff I've eaten has been good or at least tolerable with some doctoring!! But you are right, it is nice to know another opinion before you make a purchase!!!
  • Crispy Peanut bar and Raspberry Hot chocolate
    Crispy Peanut Nutrition Bar: Egads. Why did this get decent reviews. At most, a 2.5 to 3 stars (and that's taking into consideration it's diet fare). I find it rather unappealing. There's that powdery proteiny thing going on beneath the soy-crisp texture. It definitely has peanutty taste, for those who love peanuts. It has a chewy-crisp combo going on. But, really, this would be more "utile" than "treat" in my book. You use it to fill up as a mini-meal with some water or another protein fruit drink or hot cocoa, but this is not something I'd buy if I wasn't doing a lower carb plan. Just has that aftertaste thing and leaves a coating on my mouth/tongue like, well, like the way Milk of Magnesia used to do for me as a kid. Eh.

Raspberry Hot Chocolate: Now, that's much better. MUCH. I like this more than the regular one (and I thought I'd hate it, so glad I took the risk). It's very tasty. The raspberry flavor is sufficient, yet subtle. You smell it (nice) and then you get the gist of raspberryness in the sips. Not cloyingly fruity, just pleasantly so. Thumbs up.
  • Caramel Pudding! (yay)
    Caramel Pudding.

Me loves this. It does smell like caramel when you open the packet. It isn't very pudding, but rather mousse meets pudding. But the texture is acceptable for me, cause what I'm about is the taste ,and this rocks. Seriously like it better than chocolate pudding/shake pudding version. It has a caramel meets butterscotch vibe I totally dig (but I love butterscoth, so ...)

This one I'd rebuy. Really feels like a nice sweet treat.
  • Berries n Chocolate Crunch Cereal
    OH OH OH OH. Delicious. What a change from the semi-icky oatmeal. THIS I could have every day, happily, sometimes as breakfast with milk, somtimes as a crunchy snack while watching telly.

The crunch is just perfect cereal-y crunch (think corn flakes with cocoa puffs with some chex-y kinda thing.) I am gonna order 3 boxes next time, maybe 4.

Can you tell I love it? Well, I don't love the soy or the incarnations of sugar in this stuff (ECJ, sugar, HFCS...). I just don't understand why they'd put that in there...oh, well... , so I won't have it every day, but it's a really good cereal, period (not diet or nothing, just good). There is that chocolatey flavor, that berry bit every now and then, and all that crunch.Woohoo.

Obviously, add sugar and chocolate to stuff and it improves it. HAH. But we fat chicks don't need sugar, HFSC, or even evaporated can juice. So, in moderation, this should be okay, but I wish they'd find a way to keep the crunch, berryness, chocolatetyness, and rid it of sugar.

Okay, here are stats:
    BERRIES 'N CHOCOLATE CRUNCH
    Serving Size: 1 Packet (30g)

Supplement Facts: (Per Serving)
    Calories: 110, Protein: 8 grams (16%), Total Fat: 1.5 grams*, Saturated Fat: 0.5 grams, Trans Fat: 0 grams, Cholesterol: 0 mg (0%), Sodium: 70 mg (3%), Potassium: 200 mg (6%), Total Carbohydrates: 18 grams (6%), Dietary Fiber: 2 grams (8%), Sugars: 8 grams.

Vitamins & Minerals: (% Daily Value/Per Serving)
    Vitamin A (4%), Vitamin C (10%), Calcium (6%), Iron (20%), Vitamin D (2%), Vitamin E (15%), Thiamin (15%), Riboflavin (10%), Niacin (10%), Vitamin B6 (10%), Folate (15%), Vitamin B12 (8%), Pantothenic Acid (10%), Phosphorus (8%), Magnesium (6%), Zinc (10%).

Ingredients:
    Soy Protein Concentrate, Evaporated Cane Juice, Corn Meal, Sugar, Soy Grits, Barley Malt Extract, Wheat Gluten, Whole Oat Flour, Whole Wheat, Dehydrated Apples, Whey Protein Isolate (from Milk), Whey Protein Concentrate (from Milk), Rice Flour, Whole Rice Flour, Wheat Bran, Cocoa Butter, Milk, Chocolate Liquor, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Soybean Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Soy lecithin, Malt Flavoring, Corn Syrup, Vitamin E (to preserve freshness), Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Sodium Ascorbate, Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Reduced Iron, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Modified Corn Starch, Red #40, Gum Arabic.

*Amount in Cereal. 1/2 cup Skim Milk contributes and additional 40 calories, 65 mg Sodium, 200mg Potassium, 6g total Carbohydrates (6g Sugars) and 4g Protein.
  • Okay! I was just looking at that cereal in the catalog. I'll add that to my next shipment. Thanks!
  • For those who like the Vegetarian Joe and haven't placed an order in a while, it's on sale until, er, Sunday, I believe, at $1.50 less per box than usual.

I'll be getting a few boxes to keep in stock:

http://www.dietdirect.com/wonderslim..._content=WS116
  • Toffee Pudding: This is pleasant. I'd almost call this a vanilla or a custard flavored pudding, maybe cause I'm not altogether sure what toffee actually tastes like, since I don't recall ever having any. It has little crunchy "toffee" bits, and that was a nice change from just smooth puddingyness. I might or might not reorder. I'd have to try it a few more times and see if having a milder flavor option suits me.

Lemon Pudding: THis tastes like those mild lemon candies you can get from your older aunts or greataunts. Lemony, but very mildy, not at all tart, not at all soury sort of lemon. I like it. I added real lemon juice (squeezed and mixed it in after it had semi-set, then let it finish setting. I preferred it with more real lemon flavor, but would eat it as is. I'd reorder, yeah. One gets tired of chocolateyness (why are they so limited in flavors?). So, this is a nice change. This and the caramel seem to be my fave puddings, yes.
  • I love the cereal too..both kinds they have!! I have some everyday (well, weekdays only) with my plain Almond milk...YUMMY!! It's a great midmorning snack!!