Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/207/190 (mini goal #1)

Height: 5'4

Default Diet Direct (Wonderslim) Products Review Update

Just sitting here with a hot mug of cappuccino and I’ve finally finished doing the complete review of all the products I’ve tried from Diet Direct (Wonderslim, etc.). I hope this helps you all with your decision when choosing a delivery diet program.

WONDERSLIM PRODUCTS

Snack Bars - Chocomint, Caramel Pecan, Brownie Nut, Butter Toffee. All have a great taste.

Protein Snack Bites – These are really good if you are craving something salty. My favorite is Sour Cream & Onion but both are good.

Protein Snack Chips – I tried the Cheddar. These have a good taste but are really hard.

Cinna-Crunch n Chocolate – Again, yummy but hard. I ate them with a little fat free milk for an evening snack. Really good that way.

Crispy Meal Bars - Crispy Fudge & Graham, Peanut, Coffee Chocolate. My favorite is the Fudge & Graham. The other ones were too dry IMO.

Hot Cakes - When I made these on the stove they were very thin. The next time I put the mixture in the oven and baked it as one pancake. It took a little longer but it came out fluffier. Either way they are good.

Entrees - Vegetarian Joe, Cheesesteak Macaroni, Spicy Cheese Pasta, Creamy Alfredo, Tex Mex Veggie w/Chikn. Like all of these EXCEPT the Tex Mex which was mushy with rubbery bits. The Vegetarian Joe is my favorite. I also like the Creamy Alfredo and make it like a tuna casserole.

Soups - Chicken & Vegetable Cream, Tomato. I had trouble with these. The Tomato was just too grainy and bland no matter what I did it did not set right with me. The Chicken/Vegetable cream I just added a little bouillon and tobasco and it was great. Both of them have problems with lumping and I found that adding the cold water slowly while whisking or just whizzing them in your mixer before heating helps a lot.

Puddings - Lemon, Chocolate Chip w/Marshmallows, Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Toffee Creme. The Toffee Creme was bland and the Chocolate Chip has hard marshmallows (think Lucky Charms). The Lemon is good but could be a little more tart for me. My favorite is the Caramel which reminds me of butterscotch.

Pudding/Shakes – I tried the Mocha, Dutch Chocolate and Cocomint. - I like them all. By the way, I thought the Cocomint was a mix of coconut and mint in chocolate. It's not. It's mint and chocolate. I think it's because of how it's spelled that gave me that idea.

Desserts - Chocolate Cake, Cheesecake. I like both of them. The chocolate cake has little chocolate chips in it. The cheesecake doesn't really taste like cheesecake but all sorts of flavoring can be added to make this a very yummy dessert.

BARIWISE

Bariwise Crispy 15 Protein Diet Bars – I have tried the Peanut Butter, Chocolate Peanut Dream, Cinnamon Raisin, Lemon Meringue and Peanut Butter & Jelly. These are very good. The Lemon Meringue is a little grainy to me but has a good taste and I use this one when I need a change from all the chocolate.

Bariwise Protein Diet Bars – Word of warning: Restrict yourself to only one of these a day. They are like the MF Transitional bars. High in calories and carbs compared to the other bars. With that being said. These are fantastic tasting for a protein bar. I have tried all of them. You can order the variety pack so you can sample the different flavors. My favorite is the Caramel Crunch.

Bariwise Protein Diet Fruit Drinks – I have tried Wild Berry, Orangeade, Pineapple, Orange Pineapple, Cran-Grape, Grapefruit & Lemon Razzy. These are much better tasting than MF and mix better too. I have used them in Sprite Zero, Seltzer water and they make dynamite ice pops. I have an ice pop maker that makes six 3.55oz. pops. 1 packet makes 2 pops (you see where I’m going with this?) One thing though, is that I had to stop drinking them so often because of all the aspartame and it gave me headaches, so I limit myself to maybe one of these drinks a week (or 2 ice pops. Did I say that before? You can have 2 pops and its one meal?)

Bariwise Hot Chocolate – I have tried all of the flavors and they are all really good. Has aspartame.

Bariwise Cappuccino - Just like the hot chocolate they have a variety of flavors. I have tried all of them and except for the vanilla (doesn’t really taste like vanilla to me) they are good. Had to cut down on these too because of the aspartame.

Bariwise Fat-Free Biscotti – These are really good. I have 2 in the morning with either a cappuccino, hot chocolate or coffee. Tried Chocolate Chip, Almond Chip, Fudge Chip & Lemon.

*Tried 7/28/10* Bariwise Berry Delicious Smoothie - Really good and fruity. I added more berries and it tasted very good. Nice filling shake in the morning.

*Tried 8/3/10* - Cinnamon Crunch Cereal. Tasty and crunchy. Added some FF milk.

Healthwise Potato Chips - Being the "poster child" for the potato chip industry, I should have known not to expect these to taste like potato chips. But I had to try right? And it is confirmed. Not very potato tasting. More like a dry cracker than a potato chip. But they are tasty. Will try them with a tuna salad or chili. Tried Ranch and Salt & Vinegar.

Healthwise Cheese Puffs - Now these are good. A teeny bit harder than the regular cheese doodles but softer than the crunchy cheese doodles. And there's a lot in the bag. It took me about 45 minutes to finish while watching a movie. Tried White Cheddar.

PROTIDIET

Protidiet Chocolate Dream Bars – A bit of an aftertaste, but if you are craving chocolate with crunchies it’s okay. I prefer the La Nouba Bars reviewed below.

Protidiet Protein Bars – I have tried Smooth Caramel & Peanut, Hazelnut & Coconut. Coconut is okay, but don’t expect a Mounds Bar. There is a hint of coconut in a protein/soy base. Hazelnut and Caramel Peanut are good. Dense, but good. I like the Bariwise bars better.

Protidiet Protein Cookies – To me these are more bread-like than cookie. A little bland but if you are craving something with that texture these are okay. Not very sweet. My favorite was the chocolate chip. I have tried them all.

Spaghettini Bolognese – Did not like this. The box I got did not have enough pasta in it to call it a pasta dish. Not enough tomato either. Couldn’t get into this one.

Protein Juice Drinks – These are delicious. Unlike the other drink products, these come in a concentrated liquid state in 7 individual serving pouches. And they contain sucralose (Splenda) instead of aspartame. I use these as ice pops. I have tried Kiwi Melon, Orange, Peach Mango, Tropical Fruits and Grape.

Kay’s Naturals Protein Snacks – I have tried Lemon Herb, Crispy Parmesan, Cinnamon Toast Pretzels, Golden Butter Pretzels. Out of these I like the Cinnamon Pretzels the best. Lemon Herb and Crispy Parmesan are tasty and are good if you want a salty snack but as with most protein snacks are kinda hard. The Golden Butter pretzels are dry and tasteless to me.

Joseph’s Sugar Free Cookies – I tried the pecan shortbread. Not good (and I love pecan sandies). Not that I was expecting Keebler cookie quality, but I did expect it to taste somewhat like a cookie. Not only is it not sweet, it is hard and tasteless and I taste the baking powder. As any baker will tell you that is a huge turnoff, just like finding a nugget of salt in a cookie. Their Brownie Bites are better tasting. Again, not very sweet but there is a chocolate taste. I prefer the Biscotti reviewed above.

Ostrim Meat Sticks – A “Slim Jim” type snack but made with beef and ostrich meat. Now before you start with the “eeewwwws” They are not bad. Very tasty. Drawback? Just like the other meat sticks they are very high in sodium.

La Nouba Chocolates – I have tried the Chocolate Covered Marshmallows and the Chocolate Bars. These are made with Belgian chocolate and malitol as the sugar substitute (which is used in a lot of the MF bars so be careful when eating a lot of these if you are sensitive to this sugar substitute). These will make you change your mind about sugar free chocolate. These are delicious. I tried the milk chocolate, dark chocolate & white chocolate. *Important Note: These are 204 calories and 15 grams of fat per bar. There are 6 squares to a bar so I only eat these when I am REALLY craving a good chocolate. And then I only eat 2 squares at a time which reduces the figures to 68 cal/5g fat. Just throwing that out there.

Kay's Naturals Cookie Bites - These remind me of cereal. They are pleasantly sweet and crunchy.

If I decide to try anything else new I will definitely add to this list. Hope this helps! Good luck everybody!

Last edited by glassbutterfly; 08-04-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added items recently tried.
glassbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

Wow...awesome! Thanks for the reviews. I agree on most of the ones that I tried too...but there's a lot here that I haven't tried yet I must be odd...there are a lot of people who don't like the tex mex...but I really like it. Sometimes I add a wedge of laughing cow cheese...or some fat free sour cream to make it a little creamier. It totally reminds me of taco soup.

Agreed on the Veggie Joe tho...quite tasty indeed!
jyoyo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #3  

You're very welcome. I hope that others find it helpful. You can also go directly to the site and there are a whole lot of comments for the foods on there. That helped me a lot with the food choices. The laughing cow cheese is a good idea. I might try that in the macaroni meals to make it a bit cheesier without the guilt.

Last edited by glassbutterfly; 07-15-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/227/160

Height: 5'9

Oh i'm totally trying those meat sticks! I'm gunna try the "natural" ones, seem like theyre a bit lower in cals.. We shall see! I'm super excited thats one taste (the taste of a beef stick) i've been missing.. Oh man i can't wait!

Last edited by Nmont320; 07-17-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Nmont320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 299/171/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Adding to the Reviews

I got my order of WonderSlim stuff Wednesday. I did not order the starter kit, but ordered what seemed to be decently reviewed to sample and add more protein to my own self-designed meals.

HOT CAKES--these kept me satisfied a decently long time. Nice. The mix is super easy to make, cooks in a pan (don't overcook), and smells and tastes nicely vanilla-ey. However, the texture is like other high protein hotcakes--not quite what you might be used to. Dryer. BUT..that said, I add sugar free pancake syrup and enjoyed having "pancakes" that didn't blow my sugar levels up (my glucose is normal, but I have Metabolic Syndrome and had numbers going up back some years before I addressed this, so I prefer to keep sugar/carbs down these days). I'd reorder this for the luxury of hotcakes, even if not as good as regular. The lower calorie count is lovely.

Creamy Hot Chocolate: Nice. Does get a creamyish texture and if you nuke a brief spell it after stirring, it's even better (gets a tad foamier). It's only mildly chocolatey and it's somewhat sweeter than I'd prefer (When I make hot chocolate, I make it quite chocolatey with raw cacao powder and very little sweetener, as I like to really experience the milky chocolate taste principally than the sweet taste.) Nice with some BariWise biscotti diipped. Nice dose of protein for so few calories

Vegetarian Joe: I made a sandwhich on whole wheat lite bread. It was a VERY small serving, but adequate for a sandwich with a slice of lowfat american cheese and two slices of tomator. Nice and filling that way for me. It came out to less then 300 cals for a high protein sandwich with fiber. I'd consider putting this on top if FiberGourmet lower-carb, lower-calorie, superhigh fiber pasta for a very filling dinner, plus veggies. It surely can be eaten alone, with maybe some cheddar shreds and lite sour cream for a still lower-carb lunch with some nice salad or a piece of fruit for fresh side.

Cheesesteak Macaroni: Um. Average. Not horrible. Not Great. Cheese flavor is present and pleasant. The "meat" is chewy (like beef chips), but the overall experience I'd call merely acceptable/adequate/okay. I may or may not reorder, not sure. Very small portion (I had it as dinner), about a cup when all is cooked. I added a cup of sauteed spinach, a boiled egg, and a muesli roll with peanut to bring up the nutrient count and make me nice and full. For those keeping to the lower calorie or Wonderslim plan, definitely add your "greens"--broccoli or spinach or zucchini or all of them, lightly cooked (steamed, boiled, nuked, sauteed with little oil) or have a nice big salad to fill the portion hole.

Protein Shake and Pudding--I got the Chocolate Cream. I have not had it as a shake. I like it as a pudding, so I keep having it that way. It's not REALLY a pudding. It's more like a mousse texture..a bit "rough" mousse. There's a bit of a bitter and proteiny aftertaste, but I like the portion, the texture (well, I like mousses better than puddings) and the chocolateyness is adequate. I add a tablespoon of organic shredded unsweetened coconut and a few chips of the ChocoPerfection sugarfree dark chocolate baking chips to make it fancier and tastier. The additions are lowcarb but add nice flavor punches for maybe 30 more calories.

Chicken Vegetable Cream Soup: Um. Ew. Reminds me of when cup soups were newish on the scene years ago, and they were all sort of oversalted and not at all exciting. A little "creamy", too too too salty, slightly chickeny, small vegetable bits. I had half and put the rest in the fridge to see if it might work tomorrow as a "cold summer soup" touched up with some milk to cut the salt. This was the best rated of the soups, which is kinda scary. The portion is good, though.

Cinna Choco Crunch: I tasted a small palmful. Nice and crunchy. I like the cinnamon combo with chocolate (I thought I'd hate it). This I got as a sample, but I might get another bag. I've had a snack of the single bag twice --and I have more than half of the bag still left. I just use a few balls as a "dessert treat" after a saltier meal.

That's all I've tried so far. Hope this helps.
Mirtika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #6  

I love the Vegetarian Joe as a taco salad type of thing with a whole lot of lettuce. I add a little taco seasoning to the water before adding the packet and spice it up with some tobasco.

Just like the Medifast soup I had to really doctor the WS Chicken soup up in order for it to be palatable. A little bouillon and more chicken.

I ordered some of the more savory foods last night. Mostly snacks because I find myself not wanting to eat a full meal because it's so hot. I'll post how they taste when I get them. Thanks everyone for your input!!

Last edited by glassbutterfly; 07-23-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 299/171/160

Height: 5'6"

I added the Joe to the FiberGourmet spaghetti (lower calorie, very high fiber), with some chopped tomato and a sprinkling of cheddar, and it was really nice. Like a Chili Mac....protein/diet styles.
Mirtika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #8  

I have to look up FiberGourmet spaghetti. I miss homemade spaghetti and meatsauce. I've been using spaghetti squash.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #9  

Two more products tried today:

Bariwise Honey Pork and Potatoes Entree - This is a delicious pork stew. I added a little more veggies but it is very filling and tasty.

Chocolite Cashew Caramel Protein Bar - Good snack. Reminds me of a Zero candy bar. I love the fact that these bars have no aspartame or sucralose in them.

I bought different varieties of the bars and the entrees. I will post reviews on each.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 140/140/125

Height: 5'3"

Adding my Day One Reviews:

Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie:
This was the stand out for the entire day, very creamy (even though made with water), smooth flavor combining sweet strawberries with a little bit of tart from the yogurt. Absolutely delicious.

Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal
Very filling, taste was average, a little less sweet than I would like. I think I would enjoy it more by adding a half cup of applesauce (fruit for the day) and some extra cinnamon. But it was completely filling just by itself and once it thickened, it was a good size portion.

Vanilla Shake
Based on the reviews on the website, this was the one I was worried about. It was actually ok. I didn't notice the aftertaste other folks had mentioned. Like the oatmeal, it might need to be doctored for optimum flavor.

Vegetable Bean Soup
Wonderful. Light spicy kick with definite herb notes. Could have used more red beans, but I know it's a low carb soup! In the future, I might use my starch for the day to add 80 calories worth of beans to the soup. But again, just by itself, it was a filling and delicious lunch.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar
Good. Fairly standard high protein choc PB bar. Chocolate coating did not taste fake at all, smooth texture. Inside PB was a bit dry but still tasted good.

Mocha Shake
Very good, nice balance of coffee and chocolate.

I mixed all the shakes/smoothies in plastic blender bottle, no clumps. I am happy that I only need a real blender when I decide I want to, it's not a necessity.
SydneyM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #11  

More reviews:

Berry Yogurt Smoothie
Definitely not as good as the Strawberry one. As others have mentioned a little artifical tasting. Still ok, but just not as good as the other one.

Chocomint Shake
Very nice, good balance of chocolate and mint.

Oatmeal Raisin Bar
Really good, very moist and flavorful.

Lemon Pudding
Excellent flavor and texture; more of lemon creme taste in that it's not tart, but still delicious.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #12  

More Wonderslim Porduct Reviews

Update on Vanilla Shake/Pudding
Tried it as a pudding instead of a shake; flavor is still off a bit. I am unsure if I will order this again.

Cheesecake
The only product I really didn't like. There is real cheesecake flavor there, which is why the chemical flavors that overtake it are even more disappointing. I did detect a light peppery flavor other people mentioned, but the strongest flavor I got was some unknown chemical I couldn't name. I will not be ordering this again.

Hot Cakes
Excellent for diet pancakes. When you add water, the powder turns into a light and moussey batter that keeps them fluffy. I made 4.5 silver dollar pancakes on a skillet. On the wonderslim plan, you can add a 50 calorie dairy or a 20 calorie option to breakfast. I used .5 tbsp of butter as my 50 calorie dairy to grease the pan. I don't use syrup even on regular pancakes, so I wanted the butter taste on the outside more than suger-free syrup taste. Although, my dairy is higher in fat than it is supposed to be, I will only make these on Saturday and Sunday due to the extra time. A perfect weekend treat.

Cheese and Vegetable Omlet
I should start out by saying that I hate the taste and texture of eggs by themselves, I only like them when they are cooked into something so you can't taste them anymore (like pancakes!). But I knew these were unlikely to have the taste or texture of real eggs, so I gave them a try. I made them in a wide bowl in the micorwave. They didn't smell good, but it didn't taste like the smell. There wasn't much cheese flavor, there was a slight mushroom flavor, and they didn't taste like eggs (to me) at all. The texture was more like cooked firm tofu, which I like a lot. It needed some kind of spicy seasoning like tabasco or salsa, which I will add when I try them again.

Last edited by SydneyM97; 11-14-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #13  
Learning to love ME!

I must agree with your evaluation of the vanilla. It's the only kind I haven't liked so far (haven't tried the cheesecake yet).

I also wanted to add that the toffee cream is one of my favorites! I like that it actually has toffee pieces in it! To me, it's very satisfying!
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote