Has anyone tried Ourlife Fresh Meal delivery?

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • I am going to try this! I think its a great idea!. and I love RUBY!
  • My second shipment arrives tomorrow. I have one meal left - tomorrow's lunch.

A week in and I still love it. Some meals are excellent - there was vietnamese shrimp and scallop that was just divine. Others are merely good - with good being about 10 times better than a Lean Cuisine and a lot more filling. Last night was a grilled veggie pasta bake and the serving was HUGE. It actually filled a big dinner plate. (I usually eat on salad plates but there was too much!) I had to laugh because it tasted a LOT like a pasta dish I make.

Anyway, I hope you like it as much as I do! It has made it MUCH easier for me to stay on plan - I do WW. And added a level of excitement to my eating that had been missing for a long time. I actually look forward to the next meal rather than dreading it - and I love not having the "who is going to cook?" "what are we going to eat?" issues on a nightly basis.
  • Hi Y'all - anyone else still getting OLF?

We LOVE it. My 20 something son lives with me and at first really scoffed at the meals. Then he tried one . . . and loved it! And, amazingly, it even filled him up. (He's a big boy and a powerlifter.) I called and tweaked our order and he'll be getting his own meals starting on Saturday. (I've been sharing.)

It really works for us. We are headed into our busy season - we own our own biz - so the convenience is just ideal.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE not having to worry about what's for dinner. And we really do eat out way less because it's easier to just go home and heat a meal, especially when you know it will be yummy.

We've liked everything so far. Hefty portions of protein - usually around 40 grams per meal - so they tend to be very filling meals. Real foods. (The only ingredient I wouldn't use in my own kitchen that they use is xantham gum, which is in some dishes as a thickener.) All are at least chain restaurant quality - things you'd be satisfied to get at a Chili's or Applebee's. Several meals a week have been "wow - I want to order this again" at a "nice" restaurant quality. I think my fav so far has been a mongolian pork that was just incredible.

Anyway, that's the update.
  • Please let us know if it helps you lose weight.

I looked at their nutritional info online, and while the menus sound delicious, the points would use up my entire Weight Watcher daily allotment in just two meals. I definitely can't have a 10-point lunch! Too bad, because it does look good.

Anyway, hope it works well for you; please let us know.
  • I lost two pounds last week, using OLF and my nifty new GoWear Fit.

The meals are between 5 and 10 points each, with most being around 7-8. As long as you didn't eat 2 10 pointers a day, you should be fine! They are very filling.

I've only been eating one OLF meal a day for the last week and a half (since my kid discovered them!) but I eat between 1400-1600 calories a day. One of the reasons I picked OLF was because it gave you the WW points . . . then I got the GoWear Fit and started counting calories. Go Figure.
  • We got in our first customized order tonight - 2 each of 5 days of dinners. Opened the box. Sorted. Put them on our shelves in the frig. Took about 2 minutes to shop for and prepare dinner for an entire work week!

It makes me just giddy, it's so easy ~ and so good!

And I got my weekly dose of cooking today - make a crockpot full of soup!
  • I have been on OLF for a month now. I have lost a total of 17 pounds, and I really have not been working out at all, and I went of vacation for a week. I find the food to range from good to very good for diet delivery plans for the price. I know that my WWW range for my weight is 20-25 points a day. I never pair the 10 point lunches with 10 point dinners. I usually do a 10 point lunch with a 7-8 dinner. For breakfast I usually try to stay within 2-3 points, and two 1 points snacks. I do think I lost more weight with diet to go, but I hated the food. I am trying to teach myself portion control, and I find that I cannot usually finish my OLF meals (except the crabcakes, those are great).
  • I finish mine! But it says a lot that they usually fill up my 6' 24 year old weight lifter son, too.

My fav this last week was probably the chicken with Moroccan spices and Israeli couscous although the steak with chili beans was also exceptional.

My fav so far has to be the Mongolian pork several weeks back. It was just yummy. I want more.

I've been losing 2# a week, which is the goal. (Well, I'd actually love to lose more weight a week but I'm not willing to eat less and don't have time to exercise more right now. )
  • Just started Ourlife Fresh
    I noticed there aren't a lot of posts on this thread, so I thought I'd jump in and offer my experience with Ourlife Fresh.

I read reviews of this diet (and there weren't many so it was a leap of faith!) and decided to take the plunge. I'm 32 years old and had a gastric bypass at the age of 25 back in 2003. I went from 312 pounds to about 185 or so. In the last couple of years, I've let my weight creep back up to 235 and I feel terrible about it. All that pain of the surgery only to go back over 200 lbs? No way I said!

So I've been trying every diet under the sun for the past 2 years. I did WW, SBD, You on a Diet, and Biggest Loser. THese are all fantastic plans and I had short term success on each of them. However, I have a very stressful work schedule (looong hours and a high-pressure career) and I just don't have time to plan weekly menus, buy all of the fresh groceries, and prepare them for my boyfriend and I. Half the time I'd buy all of this expensive produce, then it'd rot in the fridge b/c I came home too late and too exhausted to cook. My bf would try to help but we're both exhausted from work all of the time. Somehow after a stressful day, I needed something right away and fattening fast food just seemed more appealing; hence, the weight gain.

After struggling for the past 2 yrs and watching my weight creep at its highest since my surgery, I knew I needed to try something more convenient without compromising my principles of eating fresh, WHOLE foods that are not just processed stuff with tons of sodium. That ruled out Nutrisystem (the ingredients are scary) and I looked at Jenny Craig but the pricing was outrageous and the food's not fresh, PLUS you had to pay just to walk in the door and buy the food (i.e., the membership fee). Crazy!

So I did some research on Bistro MD, the ediets delivery program, Ourlife, and a few others. I finally settled on Ourlife for a few reasons. The menus looked good, Ruby's pretty inspiring and the shipping costs were less than what other companies were charging (only 9.98 for overnight fed ex to where I live in Virginia - the food shipped from Richmond, only 3 hrs away).

Here's the pro's for those of you thinking about it:
    1. The food tastes great for being "diet" food. These are things I'd order in a restaurant. Today I ate a grilled shrimp salad that was fab! Tonight's dinner is turkey meatloaf with rice and beans. I'll add to this some steamed broccoli by green giant (frozen bag). Tommorrow's lunch is lasagna (I'll add a small side salad to this for veggies) and dinner will be crab cakes with sweet potatoes. Again, I always add something green (probably some steamed asparagus). Tuesday's dinner will be roasted turkey breast with whole grain stuffing and gravy and lunch that day will be cheesesteak penne pasta. For a gal from GA who likes comfort food, I'm pretty happy so far. Oh, and the portions are big! Bigger than frozen Lean Cuisine or WW meals at the grocery store.

2. It ships in pristine condition. No joke. Came in triple-insulated containers and I get to keep the refreezable gel packs and the heavy duty styrofoam cooler. I was very impressed.

3. They don't rope you into a contract (neither does Nutrisystem I believe, but Jenny Craig will). I opted to do the auto-ship for a reduced price for my first week of food where I committed to ordering five weeks of food that I had to use at some point in the next three months. So far, the gamble's paid off b/c I love the food!

4. I now come straight home after work and eat what I have knowing I'll like it. I have stopped going thru the drive thru or ordering pizzas late at night. No more. I have food at home ready to eat, so no more excuses :-)

5. It is five days of lunches and dinners. This gives me the flexibilty of going out at night on two days or cooking some fresh salmon or a pork tenderloin or roasting a chicken on those nights. I LOVE having this flexibility b/c I truly love cooking, I just don't have much time. Plus, I get to eat my own breakfast (egg white omelets, protein fruit smoothies, etc) which I like.

6. Weight watchers points are posted on each food package, along with all other nutritional info. I use this information to keep a daily food/calorie log using an online program I belong to.

7. My favorite part is that these are all packaged to travel. I throw one in my work bag and then microwave it at the office.

The Cons:

1. It's not cheap by any means. Five lunches and dinners cost me $115 a week. I pulled my old grocery reciepts (thanks to online banking) and I was spending waaaaay more than this on groceries each week b/c so many of the ingredients in recipes on SBD, You on a Diet and WW were pretty expensive.

2. You do not get to pick your menu and there are no substitutions that I could find. This will be a deal-breaker for some, and I for one, was really worried about what to do if the food was spicy (I can't handle any hot foods). I'm not picky (trust me, I didn't balloon to 235 for nothing!) so it's not a huge issue for me. But I do have high expectations for flavor and these meals meet them. They're better than the Jenny meals my parents eat by far. AND FRESH. Not frozen. So no complaints about the inabilty to substitute yet.

3. You're on your own for snacks. I learned about what to snack on from Dr. Oz's You on a Diet and SBD. I always have fresh fruit, cut veggies, and a bag of almonds nearby. Sometimes, a protein bar or a slimfast shake will do the trick if I'm in a pinch for time.

4. One poster said her salad lettuce had wilted. I was worried about that, so when I got my shipment I noticed two of my lunches were salads and so I ate those first. No wilted lettuce. I keep a bag handy though just to be safe.

My Progress so Far:

Well, it's only week one but so far so good! Down three pounds, which may not seem like much but it was enough to make me cry (sob is more like it) on the scale. Finally, I'm hoping I've found something that fits me and my life. Now I just have to get my boyfriend on board!

Good luck to all! If you'd like any other feedback I'm happy to oblige. I sincerely recommend this plan, but if I hit any roadblocks with the company or diet, I'll post them here. No plan is perfect, but this one may just be my answer :-)
  • For a while now...
    I have been ordering OLF for about 3 months. Typically I order at the most every other week. When I get my shipments I put almost half in the freezer. I use the meals for lunch at work and a few for dinner during the week. Since I have 2 elementary schoolers that I make dinner for I eat with them. I am using these meals more for convenience then for dieting. I was very surprised but how great they are so that makes it worth the money to me. Most of these meals I would never cook myself as I tend to go toward easy to prepare and non-healthy meals. I would recommend this service to everyone. The first question is always, how does it taste and the second is how much does it cost. Believe me I am cheap too but as kimmy77 states I too was wasting all the food that I bought but never cooked. This way I don't throw money away. As for the food I am a kinda picky eater but I try everything. The only thing so far I do not like are one of the sides Isreali couscous. As for the salads you have to eat them first thing in the week or the lettuce does wilt.

Did anyone notice that the price went up $10 and now you can only do auto-delivery? That annoys me!
  • WOW...does that look good! It's a bit pricey, though. But once I am close to goal weight, I will order these meals and keep them on hand for emergency use, especially around the holidays when so many foods are a high temptation for me.

Keep us posted on your progress.
  • Just wanted to post an update - we've been getting OLF for about 3 months now.

We've dropped down to deliveries every other week, now that our busy season is over.

We also tried a lower priced competitor and it left us loving and appreciating OLF meals even more! I can't stress enough to those who haven't tried them yet just how yummy the OLF meals actually are!
  • I had never heard of this program until today. It sounds like something I would like to try. Last year I did Diet To Go for a few months and really loved it but finances forced me to stop the program. If any of you have also tried DTG, how does that compare to OLF? Also, can you add a tossed salad every day? I LOVE my salads.
  • Woo-hoo! Got our delivery today. Since we've gone to deliveries every other week, it's become even more of a treat!

Tonight's dinner - Roasted Salmon with Sweet Red Peppers and Spinach in a Basil Lemon Jus Lie served with fresh seasonal vegetables. The seasonal veggies look a roasted winter squash that they do that is just divine!

I've not tried DTG but we did order a week's worth of PFFS which we just did not care for at all. (Wound up throwing 3 of the meals out.) These meals really are restaurant/spa quality. It sounds like just ad hype but it really is true.

As for salads, you usually get a couple of salads a week as lunches but could certainly add them to dinner as well, as long as you make them fit into your calorie/point count.
  • hhichick, how much weight have you lost and how long did it take?