Bistro Buddies?

You're on Page 7 of 40
Go to
  • I know the BL meals are different then the normal Bistro. So far I have done the full 4 weeks cycle and I can't say that the BL Plan has alot of spinach in it. When I was on Diet-to-Go on the Low Carb plan they used alot of spinach in there meals. I wonder if everyone gets the same meels on the same week if they are doing the same plan....other then the exceptions each person may have due to alergies or preferences. I will try to type out a weeks worth of meals out for you guys to get an idea. It is different than what is posted on the website.
  • I had salmon for dinner - resting in a bed of chopped spinach. Oy veh.

I did get out the cocktail sauce and used about ~40 calories worth on the salmon and mixed in with the spinach. It gave the spinach enough zip to get past it.

I have eaten more spinach in the past 4 days than I have in the past 4 years lol.
  • I'm on the regular BMD meals, not the BL. I don't get the snacks. Most of our meals seem similar, but not assigned on the same days. I have the lasagna rollantini for my day 3 lunch this week. Spinach Mushroom Crepe you talked about, cats, is my breakfast tomorrow. And I have salmon with spinach, wild rice, and cranberries later this week. Maybe the BL is more low-carb? I still get brown rice, pasta, and wheat tortillas pretty often.

Tonight I ate Santa Barbara grilled chicken with veggies and a lentil/chickpea side. And I added a half cup of frozen veggies. I actually liked it a lot, once I mixed it all together. I find that many of the meals are better once I chop up the chicken and everything is mixed together. It averages out the too dry vs. too wet issue I sometimes have with the main and the sides. Tomorrow's dinner is a Bacon CHeeseburger Meatloaf! I predict it's either great or terrible!
  • That sounds pretty similar to mine - so maybe you're currently a week behind of me.

So far my favorite meal is by far the pork w/ papaya and steamed veggies. Mm. If I had gotten that in a restaurant I would already be wanting to go back.

The rice mixture with the salmon wasn't bad - I think it's the "confetti rice" that seems to be a bit tasteless.

Hmm Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf, I think I had that my 2nd day too - I don't actually like meatloaf but liked that "pretty well". Not my favorite meal but it was palatable and mildly enjoyable. So I don't know if that means it was bad meatloaf (because I liked it) or really good meatloaf (because I liked it).
  • Eh, it was alright. I had an all turkey meat one last week that I liked better. That probably says more about me and my taste for ground turkey breast, which most people find tasteless! The buckwheat pancakes this morning were amazing! Pretty happy so far - easier than I thought, but I'm only 1.5 weeks in! I did totally overindulge last weekend at a brunch - LOTS of champagne is no good for the weight. But it was totally worth it, had such a good day!
  • Just got my 2nd week's package!

Looks pretty good, I was bummed there were a couple repeats from last week of my less-favorite meals (chicken-mushroom crepes, which sounded really good but I just didn't care for and chili with "pudding" - I found the pudding bland and mildly oniony).

I'm very excited to try the berry crepes later this week along with a couple of the ham dishes, and the cheesecake! Sadly no papaya pork chop repeat, mmm that was so delicious.

The breakfasts are generally very good - the pancakes and crepes I liked a lot and the muffin was pretty tasty, especially for a "diet" muffin. I'm not a huge fan of the english muffins - they seem to have an odd flavor - but the bagels are pretty good.

The chocolate swiss roll I had for my PM snack today was a-ma-zing. I would buy more of those for snack replacements if I could find them in a weightloss store but apparently Bistro MD makes those themselves. Mm, so good, a very good flavor and texture. Couldn't have told you it was "diet" at all.

Also - for any newcomers reading this - I wasn't sure how to prep the unlabeled baked goods odds and ends like english muffins, muffins, bagels, swiss roll, etc. They come frozen in clear sealed plastic and I didn't know if I should fridge-thaw them first, or pop them directly in the toaster.

What I've been doing is setting them out on the countertop (still in the sealed plastic wrapping) the night before. By morning they're completely room temp, not mushy or wet, and then I pop them in the toaster for a couple minutes if appropriate (bagels, english muffins).
  • I've been doing the same with the baked goods. I really liked the bagel!

Your week sounds similar to mine. I agree about the chicken mushroom crepes - I think it's the rosemary flavor that gets me. Too woody or soapy tasting. And the corn pudding with the chili - I've mixed it in with the chili.

I really liked the chickend stuffed with feta and spinach. And I'm surprised by how much I like the crepes - they're really good. I wasn't such a fan of the muffin - really dry and crumbly. i usually make my own breakfast those days (oatmeal or a BagelThin with egg and veggie) and eat the muffin as a snack. I don't get the BMD snacks.

Had a couple of bad days this last week - that brunch with unlimited champagne last weekend and ate breakfast and lunch provided by work on 1st day of school even though I'd already brought food (mostly picked good things! The pile of white rice with at lunch was questionable ). But I tried to complensate other days. I think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm learning that eating a full meal is more satisfying than grazing on a bunch of little things because I can't decide what to eat. Also realizing that I used to always be full. What I used to think was being hungry is starting to feel normal and FULL just feels ick.
  • Still doing great! The only problem I'm having is with food coming defrosted, but they are working to help me with this by adding extra dry ice. Just need to get through the summer months, and I will be in the clear! I just love the food. This is the first time I have ever been on a program where I can truly see me sticking with it long term. The customer service people are so sweet, and the food is just incredible. Things like Feta & Spinach Stuffed Chicken, Chicken Fresco, Beef Tips, and Chicken With Apples, tastes like food I would order in a restaurant! Love love love!

If there are foods you do not like at all, and don't want to keep getting, make sure you register on their site and fill out your profile! I didn't realize that for a long time, and kept throwing away the ones I was getting that I hated (or passing them off to my bf). You can list any foods you are allergic to, don't like, and so on. You want to check the "other" box under likes and dislikes, and enter that information in the larger boxes below everything. That way they will know to look at the profile, and those large entry boxes.

I just say:

DO NOT WANT Philly Cheese Steak
    DO NOT WANT Meatloafs

and so on.....

That way you get only what you can eat. I may not love every single dish, but most are at least decent. Some I just detest, and I list those. It works! They do look, and they stopped shipping those to me. Very happy with the program.

I did blow it for a few days though (always tough when I get close to that time of the month). I realized I screwed up, but I didn't let that shake me. This is a marathon, and not a sprint. You just get back on track and never look back. We are human, and that's bound to happen.
  • Just got an email from Bisitro MD that this weeks shipment of Biggest Loser Meal Plan is the last one. Sounds like they are no longer supporting the program. I am still trying to gather information if some other vendor is going to be offering the foods on behalf of their meal plan or not. No clear answers. I asked Bistro about their Bistro MD Sports plan and they said even though it has a website bistromdsport.com it "technically" is not a live program yet. Web sight doesn't clearly state that but from my discussions with Bistro this iis something in the works at this time. Oh well what to do what to do I was on it for 6weeks + 1 final one slated to be delivered tomorrow or Fri.
  • Just to clarify the Bistro MD plan isn't changing or going away just the Biggest Loser Meal Plan that was offered via Bistro MD.
  • In case anyone is interested in what an actual week looked like under the Biggest Loser Meal plan with BistroMD here is a copy of what I recieved for one week:

Day 1
    Brunch: Mixed Berry Crepe
    AM Snack: Fudge Graham Bar
    Lunch: Steak House Wrap w/ Creamed Spinach
    PM Snack: Dried Black Bean & Salsa Chicken Strip
    Dinner: Roasted Turkey Pomegranate

Day 2
    Brunch: English Muffin with Turkey Sausage and Egg White Patty
    AM Snack: Chrisp N Crunch Cinnamon Bar
    Lunch: California Wrap
    PM Snack: Sea Salt and Vinegar Soy Snack
    Dinner: Vegetable and Beef Stir Fry Dinner (they subbed it out with Turkey Cranberry Quinoa)

Day 3
    Brunch: High Proteini Bagel with an Egg White Patty and Canadian Bacon
    AM Snack: Chocolate Protein Shake
    Lunch: Skinny Turkey-Spinach Meatloaf
    PM Snack: Parmesan Protein Chips
    Dinner: Moroccan Warm Lentil salad

Day 4
    Brunch: Stuffed French Toast
    AM Snack: Chocolate Protein Pudding
    Lunch: Philly Inspired Chicken Cheese Steak
    PM Snack: Sour Cream and Onion Crunch O's
    Dinner: Turkey and Beef Chipotle Chili

Day 5
    Brunch: Chicken Mushroom Crepe (they subbed it otu (due to mushrooms) with Salmon Benedict)
    AM Snack: Pineapple Orange Shake
    Lunch: Southwestern Wrap
    PM Snack: Vanilla Swiss Roll
    Dinner: Asian Plum Pork

Day 6
    Brunch: High Protein Bagel with Light Cream Cheese Spread
    AM Snack: Crisp N Crunch Peanut Protein Bar
    Lunch: Teriyaki Chicken
    PM Snack: Mini Lemon Cheesecake
    Dinner: Broccoli and Beef Dinner

Day 7
    Brunch: Egg Omelet with Canadian Bacon and Fuji Apples
    AM Snack: Chocolate Mini Crisps
    Lunch: Arroz Con Pollo
    PM Snack: BBQ Soy Snack
    Dinner: Chicken Breast Stuffed with Spinach and Feta with Wild Mushroom Sauce and Asparagus with Roasted Corn
    (they subbed it out (due to mushrooms) with Roasted Turkey with Pomogranate
  • Wow this is surprising news. Interesting.

One thing to keep in mind.

Biggest Loser and Bistro are the SAME company. If another company starts providing food for the Biggest Loser, it will be different food, and not from the same company (and that's only if they have truly stopped making the food for that television show). They may just be dropping the discount, and saying that the Biggest Loser meal delivery plan has been discontinued through them. Otherwise, it's the same kitchen......same shipping location.... same food (although you do get more variety with their Bistro plan). The only difference is the name of the plan, and the cost (and more variety on Bistro). I guess they just decided to stop offering the discounted version. Not good news in this tough economy.

I began with Biggest Loser in May. I wanted to drop the breakfasts and snacks (far too much soy), and was told I had to switch to their traditional program "Bistro" in order to do this. That if I wanted to buy food ala carte this way, it had to be through Bistro. That's why I switched. I'm glad I did because I am seeing much more variety on Bistro, than I got on Biggest Loser alone. My food is also shipped earlier with all the other Bistro members instead of being shipped like it was when I was on Biggest Loser (I noticed that right away). I was suddenly getting shipments sent to me on Tuesdays instead of Wednesdays there for a while, although now it's all over the place, which is somewhat frustrating.

Its hard to make a doctors appointment or a dental appointment, when your food could arrive on either a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. In this heat, and with the defrosting issues I've had, I need to be home to receive it, and get it into the freezer right away! You only find out the night before when you get a tracking number when it's due to arrive that week. Very inconvenient. I feel almost hostage to the plan in that respect. All the other meal plans I was on gave you a firm delivery day each week, and you were on a regular schedule (same day each week so you could make plans). This is the only plan I have ever been on that does things this way. Most of my doctors are at least an hour away, and that's just travel time alone. That leaves me only Mondays and Tuesdays to make appointments when I know I am in a completely "safe" zone. Not fun. I've been putting off some dental work for this reason.

As for switching to Bistro from Biggest Loser, you don't lose any of the meals you already had on that program. You only gain more variety. You get what you had on Biggest Loser, plus some pricier entries like sirloin steak, apple and cherry stuffed chicken, and so on. Now I am actually saving money on Bistro because I dropped the breakfasts and snacks. I was never wowed by them. I love their lunches and dinners. It also gives me more snacking room calorie wise. My first big meal of the day is lunch instead of breakfast, and I am doing well on this. I treat myself to an egg and bacon breakfast on the weekends only. Otherwise not into their breakfasts.

If it were me, I would simply switch to regular Bistro if you liked the food and the program itself. It is more, but not that much more. I just hope this is not a sign that they will be closing their doors at some point in the near future. I would die! I am doing so well, and love their food (very picky eater). Good luck to you either way.
  • Thanks for the info Lisa. I did some research an apparently The Biggest Loser Teams with eDiets.

Here are some links with info

http://www.healthnews.com/nutrition-...iets-4414.html

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/edi...k=MW_news_stmp

I haven't done eDiets and don't recall it raiting high on my choices when I was looking for options. So I may switch to the Bistro MD plan for now and wait too see if Bistro MD puts out their sports plan in the future. Hmmm makes me wonder if they knew all along they were going to loose the deal and planned a new sponsorship with an olympic athlete to call it BistroMD Sport to tie in the workout aspect that Biggest Loser had.
  • Tzoavva: Your menu looks almost idenitcal to mine and I'm a regular Bistro eater. I don't know what the price difference is, but the food seems pretty much the same. I tried the research the price, but the website is already shut down. I did find an article that says eDiets will be the new vendor... Here's a link to the article: tiny.cc/gnfv0
    Guess it depends on the price and the quality of eDiets food. I've been pretty happy and losing on the standard Bistro plan!
  • Whoa! Good catch Tzoavva!

I just read that. Thank you for providing those links. A very interesting read. So they did lose the contract with Biggest Loser (or they didn't want to continue). The plot thickens. A lot of things make sense now.

I have tried both Ediets and Purefoods (both diets are created out of the same kitchen, or at least were last time I was on them). I was not impressed. The fact that they ship UPS Ground with REGULAR GEL ICE PACKS INSTEAD OF DRY ICE, was enough to give me the willies for life! I'm having enough trouble with Bistro, which packs mine with extra dry ice in this heat! I don't even want to think about regular gel packs coming UPS ground (most meal plans have switched from UPS to Fed Ex because UPS has no respect whatsoever for perishables)! Maybe Ediets and Purefoods have changed to Fed Ex too by now, but using gel packs was the main deal breaker for me (that and the gristly meat, and carrot overload). The way they ship is night of the living dead scary to me. I'd rather play in traffic! When I tried them, it was in the fall and winter (and even then I was seriously spooked by that). If shipped food is going to have any real integrity, it has to be shipped with dry ice at a bare minimum.

I get probiotics shipped to me overnight delivery from IHerb with regular gel packs (only packaging they offer), and even that comes warm overnight! Like it would turn really warm if it had arrived any later, and the gel packs are completely warm (I have now learned to order that in bulk from IHerb during the fall or winter). Not going there with food that takes 3 days to arrive with regular gel packs! I don't care if the cooler was blessed by the pope!

That's one thing I really miss with Jenny Craig. Your food arrived on the same day of the week each time, and it arrived overnight Fed Ex with plenty of dry ice. You didn't have to worry.

I am worried that losing the Biggest Loser's endorsement, could hurt BistroMD in the pocketbook. If they closed their doors, I would freak right now. I've tried them all, and this food rocks. Crossing my fingers here!