3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc

Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Cheapest Diet Meal Delivery Plan?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
I'm trying!
 
Shaunanigans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 13

S/C/G: 209/225/150

Height: 5'9''

Default Cheapest Diet Meal Delivery Plan?

Alright, after much wibbling and wobbling around going "I'm fat! I'm fat!" and not really doing anything much that helped me lose weight (yo yo dieting doesn't work, I've learned!), I realized that a delivery meal plan would be a great solution for me. However... The sticker shock is sort of getting to me. I realize I probably spend that much money eating out anyway, but its the upfront cost that gets me. I'm a broke college gal who is about to leave for her first time away from her friends to go work at Disney World... And I'm not going to get paid much! Or have time to make food! So... Does anyone know the cheapest possible plan out there? Or ways to make them extra cheap?


Thanks!
__________________

Last edited by Shaunanigans : 07-08-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Shaunanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Member
 
noodlebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 73

S/C/G: 196.5/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default

Hi Shaunanigans (cute name!!),

I think NutriSystem is widely regarded as the cheapest, but I'm not honestly sure. I can tell you though, you can get a lot of info about different plans by looking at people's blogs (Full of Grace's on BistroMD, Rachael's on Seattle Sutton's Healthy Eating, and others), and reading the mealdeliveryplans Yahoo group.

The thing with cost is that you really have to weigh (har har) the cost of the plans against 1. how much you spend eating out (which might be a BIG challenge where you'll be near Disney!), 2. how much you would spend on groceries and also how much time you would spend preparing your own food, and 3. how much you spend on healthcare now and in the future. It's definitely a personal decision though.

Good luck, hope this is helpful, and have a great time at Disney World!!!
__________________
Noodlebean

Weight loss since 1/26/08:




ThinByMail.com - Noodlebean & Mr. Peanut's weight loss blog with meal delivery plan reviews, photos, and more! Check our our Special Report Section with reports of our experiences on eDiets, Pure Foods Fresh Start, Diet to Go, and other plans.

Last edited by noodlebean : 07-08-2008 at 02:20 PM.
noodlebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Gettin Closer!!
 
StillTryin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Middle of NoWhere!
Posts: 1,040

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlebean View Post
Hi Shaunanigans (cute name!!),

I think NutriSystem is widely regarded as the cheapest, but I'm not honestly sure.
Good luck, hope this is helpful, and have a great time at Disney World!!!

I just read an article called "the cost to lose 30lbs" (something like that) and as far as meal delivery programs Nutrisystem is the cheapest.

There is another one similar but I can not remember the name of it. I actually used the Nutrisystem plan for the first 2-3 months of "dieting" to help me RE-learn portion size....WOW did that help. And I lost 30lbs doing it!
__________________
CW~161
GW~155 6lbs to go!!! OMG!!!!


"Girls are like phones. We love to be held, talked too but if you press the wrong button you'll be disconnected!"~anonymous
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:02 AM   #4
blissfully gluten-free
 
full of grace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 473

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Default

Agree with all of the above.

NutriSystem definitely looks to be the cheapest option.

AND the pros and cons have to be considered because not every plan will fit with every lifestyle, which could mean you're choosing the "on paper" cheapest plan but having to add in stuff which makes it more expensive than other options.

Good luck in your decision!

Make sure you check the reviews conducted by the 3FC's here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diets_Detailed/

Very helpful!
__________________
Cheers,
full of grace ...the journey so far.
My waist measurement, in inches:


My weight, in pounds:

Every bite is a choice.
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Member
 
beffie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 33

S/C/G: 190/189/135

Height: 5'4"

Default

Thanks for the link....that is going to be really helpful!
beffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Member
 
kissesmomof4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 74

Default

Nutrisystem is the cheapest but many people (myself included) find that the food needs a lot of doctoring to make it taste good. Don't forget that with most plans you will need to add on items such as dairy, protein, and produce. This raises your per week cost.

I just started a yahoo group called "Jenny On My Own". I did a bunch of research and found a grocery store food to match every item on the Jenny Craig menu. I put the lists in the fils section. I do not have any members yet because I just made the group but your welcome to come on over and check it out. I explain how you can use the lists with information on the Jenny site to do Jenny on your own. Maybe this would work for you. I live in Kissimmee and I *know* what Disney pays so maybe this would be helpful in cutting costs! This website will not allow me to post a link so if you want to check this out just go to yahoo groups and look for the group name.

Good luck with your weight loss and your new job! Although they do not pay a lot Disney looks like a fun place to work.
__________________
Amanda
kissesmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
blissfully gluten-free
 
full of grace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 473

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissesmomof4 View Post
Nutrisystem is the cheapest but many people (myself included) find that the food needs a lot of doctoring to make it taste good. Don't forget that with most plans you will need to add on items such as dairy, protein, and produce. This raises your per week cost.

I just started a yahoo group called "Jenny On My Own". I did a bunch of research and found a grocery store food to match every item on the Jenny Craig menu. I put the lists in the fils section. I do not have any members yet because I just made the group but your welcome to come on over and check it out. I explain how you can use the lists with information on the Jenny site to do Jenny on your own. Maybe this would work for you. I live in Kissimmee and I *know* what Disney pays so maybe this would be helpful in cutting costs! This website will not allow me to post a link so if you want to check this out just go to yahoo groups and look for the group name.

Good luck with your weight loss and your new job! Although they do not pay a lot Disney looks like a fun place to work.
Amanda, this is awesome!

I've been doing BistroMD for 27 weeks and am starting to wonder if it's "do-able" on my own, matching meals at the market, etc.

I'm going to go look for your Yahoo Group. Thanks for telling us about it... and for doing the research!
__________________
Cheers,
full of grace ...the journey so far.
My waist measurement, in inches:


My weight, in pounds:

Every bite is a choice.
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
Hatchling
 
x louise x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London UK
Posts: 133

S/C/G: 160/146/122

Height: 5'2"

Default

In the UK we have internet grocery shopping - you pay a little for delivery, but can pretty much order what you would buy in the shops.

Is is possible for you to spend a little time working out some ready meal lunch & dinner options - Leancuisine, WW etc and order enough for the freezer for a the week based on calorie needs.

This way you could do a repeat shop every week and also have the whole LOT delivered - milk, vegetables, toilet roll & cat food etc!

You could work out the difference in money between your own 'designer weighloss delivery' and that of a 'weigtloss deivery service' and save the difference in a jar to spend on a stunning outfit when you are at goal.

Sorry if you have already considered this or if you don't have internet grocery services in the USA, but I am a college gal, strapped for time & cash and I buy WW frozen ready meals for 1 (about $2?) in our local freezer food shop for a fortnight at a time and have them for lunch and dinner!

Just a thought, to throw into the mix there!

Lou
x louise x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #9
blissfully gluten-free
 
full of grace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 473

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by x louise x View Post
In the UK we have internet grocery shopping - you pay a little for delivery, but can pretty much order what you would buy in the shops.

Is is possible for you to spend a little time working out some ready meal lunch & dinner options - Leancuisine, WW etc and order enough for the freezer for a the week based on calorie needs.

This way you could do a repeat shop every week and also have the whole LOT delivered - milk, vegetables, toilet roll & cat food etc!

You could work out the difference in money between your own 'designer weighloss delivery' and that of a 'weigtloss deivery service' and save the difference in a jar to spend on a stunning outfit when you are at goal.

Sorry if you have already considered this or if you don't have internet grocery services in the USA, but I am a college gal, strapped for time & cash and I buy WW frozen ready meals for 1 (about $2?) in our local freezer food shop for a fortnight at a time and have them for lunch and dinner!

Just a thought, to throw into the mix there!

Lou
VERY smart! And yes! We do have several home delivery options for groceries and sundries here. Thank you for the suggestion!

It's the "doing all the math" stuff that gets complicated/time consuming/headache inducing, for me. I guess that's what I'm paying for, when it comes down to it. At least to some degree.

Thanks again!
__________________
Cheers,
full of grace ...the journey so far.
My waist measurement, in inches:


My weight, in pounds:

Every bite is a choice.
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
Hatchling
 
x louise x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London UK
Posts: 133

S/C/G: 160/146/122

Height: 5'2"

Default

Glad you like the idea. I'm all for money saving and keeping the profits where I can

It will take a bit of effort and list-writing (my fave activity!) to start with but I think you'll feel so pleased that you did it all for yourself!

I make the most of my freezer and when I buy wholemeal bread it goes straight in there to use a slice or 2 at a time - takes second to defrost for a sandwich, and can be toasted from frozen.

I also split wholegrain bagels & freeze to use half at a time. I buy eggs for do me for the fortnight and enough ready meals for lunch & dinner. Often though I make my own meals from scratch up to the value of the points I'm allowed (I'm on WW). But just knowing there is a ready meal in the freezer keeps me on track.

I'm sure those systems are great if the shops are too much temptation, however when I internet shop, I just type in the keyword and find what I want, thereby passing all the store temptations. What I spend in delivery costs must outweigh what I would pick up on impulse.

Good luck

Lou
x louise x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:56 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2