Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #61  
klc

Rosie, glad you're liking the food too! I've had some stuff that I like better than others (have you tried the teriyaki salmon yet???YUMMMMY), but haven't had anything that I didn't like (except for the canadian bacon on the McBistro, but I can take that off). It's really great having others starting up at the same time, so I'm not the only one doing the oooh's and aaaah's . I'm keeping score on the menu, but so far, there are alot of 9's and 10's.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 137/131.5/125

Height: 5'6

Ok. So, have you had the Turkey breast with Cranberry sauce yet? I need a vomit emoticon for that one. Yick. Of course, I'm very picky about my turkey...

I don't ever want to put that in my mouth again. The chicken with cherries and apples was Yummers.

I just realized that if I sat on one of the divers in the olympics, they may die.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #63  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 194.6/188.2/135

Height: 5'2"

Wow! Look at all the activity in here! I haven't been in this area for a while, but I'm still doing BMD. It's been about two months now, and things are still going pretty well.

I'm not 100% sticking to the plan. My menus are modified because I can't stomach any artificial sweeteners. So no shakes, donuts, etc. for me. The breakfasts are pretty dull this way...how many times can ya eat those waffles (without the syrup!)?!

I get the 5-day, no snacks plan, and I eat it for dinner every night (unless I go out, but usually 5-6 night a week), and I also do breakfasts and lunches on the weekends and days I'm home from work. I'm just no good at toting food back and forth - never have been! So usually I'll get some breakfast on my way to work (I've been doing egg whites on multi-grain bread), and sometimes salad or fruit for lunch. It's been working pretty well for me.

I was getting the snacks, but I couldn't get any of the sweets, so it was a lot of chips and puffs, so I stopped them. Now I try to do fruit, a Skinny Cow bar or Edy's pop, or a protein bar.

I still continue to have issues with the service, but I've managed to keep working them out. I still haven't seen a shred of the individual support and encouragement that Grace has, but...whatever. I still like the food and it works, so that's what matters most.

I had the cheese ravioli for the first time this week, and it was good! I hope that will be coming more often in the future! And I think my favorite thing has been the Chicken Cordon Blue - that was just yummy! The one thing I can't stand is the Blackened Tilapia. But I probably wouldn't like that anywhere!

Congratulations to all the new members! I hope it works out well for all of you! I'll definitely check in more often from now on!

Carol
Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #64  
Starting Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaV View Post
I just realized that if I sat on one of the divers in the olympics, they may die.
Maybe, but if some of us sat on one, their insides would come squishing out!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #65  
klc

Another ooh-aah for me was the chicken marsala. It was one of my favorite meals so far. I can't believe it's a lunch. A big tender, moist chicken breast with a sauce that doesn't taste at all diet.<smacking my lips thinking about it>
Old 08-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #66  

Hello there,

I'm having ravioli for lunch today, looking forward to it. I am starting to just grab any meal for lunch and/or dinner, rather than following the menu. Is this okay do you all think?

I am starting to think about cancelling my meals. Here is why: In the past, when I kept to a dairy-free and mostly gluten-free diet, w/out coffee and minimal sugar, I lost so much weight and kept it off. Despite the limitations, I never felt hungry because I wasn't counting calories. I could eat as many cashews as I wanted if I was starving, I could snack on gluten-free crackers and goat cheese...

the most difficult part of that is planning and shopping. If I stick to it, I don't have cravings for foods off my plan. Only when I try to just eat a little bread, for example, then I am ruined. It's like being an alcoholic--I can't just do it a little bit. I think this has to do with my blood sugar levels. At least I'm not an alcoholic, so a glass of wine now and then is an indulgence I CAN do!!

So the BMD diet isn't helping me keep my blood sugar even. I'm hungry at night and eating too much crap. I'm downing these artificially sweetened protein snacks and it's keeping my sweet cravings alive. And I don't think I'm losing weight at all. I LOVE having my meals pre-thought through, and delivered. I'm just really questioning if this is the right diet for my body.

I've given this 4 weeks now and I'll give it another week, then I may cancel and try my old way. It's sad to think I'll say goodbye to ravioli...not to mention this really nice group of fellow BMD'ers, but probably in the long run,, better for my body.

Emily

Last edited by drum4tiger; 08-12-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #67  

KLC, you have to do what makes you successful. See, I need a gimmick. The gimmick for me is...here is what you can eat. Nothing else...and I eat it. But, I don't have sugar issues or gluten problems.

I must say though, my stomach rumbles all the time from this food. I always feel like there is a brick there. I am always hungry at night...but, that is the only way I lose...is if I go to bed hungry.

Off to the gym!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #68  
klc

Quote:
KLC, you have to do what makes you successful. See, I need a gimmick. The gimmick for me is...here is what you can eat. Nothing else...and I eat it. But, I don't have sugar issues or gluten problems.
Hey Melissa, I'm not going anywhere, that was Emily. Are you trying to get rid of me??

Emily, I completely agree that everyone has to chose the path that works for them. I've discovered over the last 5 months that having everything waiting for me in the fridge is my path...I'm not disciplined enough to do it on my own. If you like the meal delivery aspect, there are other plans out there you may want to try. SSHE (Seattle Sutton) is pricey, and I don't know if they do a gluten free plan, but their food is lovely and gets rave reviews. Grace probably knows the answer to the gluten availability. I thought PFFS was trying to kick off a gluten free plan, but I don't know the maturity of it.

Quote:
I must say though, my stomach rumbles all the time from this food. I always feel like there is a brick there.
Speaking of stomach rumbling, I'm going to ask a delicate question. Is anyone else generating enough gas to power the entire eastern US? When I was on Nutrisystem a few years back, a common discussion in the chat room was how to handle the gas, presumably from all of the soy in the foods...the 'product' even had a name...Nutritoots. I think the Bistro snacks may be having the same effect on me. Am I the only one in the group that's full of hot (and sometimes noisy) air?
-Kathy
Old 08-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #69  

KLC, sorry.... I could power the world with all of the gas I have. Plus....I'm a bit um...stopped up? Usually, I'm a pooping fool. My husband told me if it doesn't stop, I'm going to have to stop eating the food. He says our whole house smells.

What is the deal with Gluten? This is the first time I've heard so much about Gluten.

I'm off to expunge more gas.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #70  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Arrow

Woo! Wow! Lots of responses since my last visit. Y'all rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klc View Post
Grace, in answer to your question, no I don't have a blog...yet. When looking for BMD blogs, yours was the only one I found, and it was one of the main reasons I switched over to BMD. Your blog is incredible, but obviously (as you've said) has limitations on food reviews due to the gluten issue. I'll get one cranked up if there isn't another one out there with the full menu on it ...don't want to step on someone's toes .
Oh, I can't imagine it would feel like "toe-stepping" to anyone. We're all just hoping to get good info out there about what we're experiencing, right? I mean, I looked like CRAZY for blogs about home delivery services before I selected BistroMD and I couldn't find ANY other than a couple about Nutrisystem, which I knew I couldn't eat due to the gluten. I think I also found one about Jenny Craig which was also off-limits for me.

Go for it!

Quote:
BMD used to be a very expensive plan comparatively, but with all the 'fresh food' guys raising their prices, it's now leveled the playing field, so I think we'll see a ton of folks joining our group.
Coooooool. The more the merrier!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum4tiger View Post
Aw, thank you for the birthday wishes. I just saw you are in Hollywood so off you go on a special day to the dark as night restaurant! It's really expensive (we were treated by a friend).
Unfortunately, they closed the Hollywood Dark Dining in June due to renovations in the hotel that they host the events. I was so bummed when I saw that I *just* missed getting to experience this.

Oh well... perhaps I'll make sure we can do it when/if we ever travel to San Diego or San Francisco. (I also saw a few You Tube videos about similar concepts--but blindfolded, and they don't tell you what you're eating. ACK!!--in New York.) Pretty cool stuff. Again, thanks for putting it on my radar!

Quote:
Hubby and I are cleaning the house for guests, and I must get back to it. Thanks for all the encouragement. You are right I probably am eating better even with added snacks, and I am taking your advice right and left so I'm sure to benefit
So glad you're feeling good about it. One of the things that got (gets?) in my way was (is?) the feeling that I'm not "being good." I'm not "doing it right." And that's not a good mindset, ever. I mean, I'm doing TONS better than when I was eating Taco Bell once a week and McDonald's once a week and Arby's once a week, right? (I cut out fast food between late December and mid-February--which was when I started BistroMD--and lost 15 pounds just by eliminating that stuff! So, I guess my "original" start weight was 240, but I put 225 on the site, since that's what I was when I joined here and when I started BistroMD.)

Anyway, point is, we have to celebrate the little WINS and really acknowledge the GOOD choices we're making. Sure, we also need to hold our feet to the proverbial fire and not slack or get too "easy" on ourselves about things we know we could be doing better--it's not an excuse to slack at all--but oftentimes, I find we (or at least I do) decide it's all or nothing and if a day is slightly "off," it's an excuse to just bail on the whole plan.

And THAT's a recipe for disaster!!

Quote:
I had to move some food around for convenience purposes...but, I'm really enjoying the food. It is making my husband jealous that he has to cook all of his food. However, he weighs about 5 pounds.
LOL about the five-pound hubby!

I've gotten really bold with moving things around, since I did the math on calories, protein, carbs, fat, etc., and can see when it's time for a "big meal" and when it's time for a "smaller" one, calorie-wise.

Quote:
Doesn't it feel great to be empowering yourself to get it off? I've been complaining for 2 years now that I'm just getting bigger...and have been spinning a lot of hot air. Now, I'm doing something about it.

Be proud!
Absolutely! Right on!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
3lbs this week for a total of 36lbs. WOO-HOO
That is SO awesome, Kathy! Yay, you!!!!!!!

Quote:
Had to share...there aren't many people around me that would understand why I'm excited about weighing 233 LOL. I had a goal set for this week to reach 35lb, which means I've lost a third of my goal weight. Blew that baby away
Yeah, ya did!! Way to go!!!!!

Quote:
Kathy, yippee!!! Congratulations. I am not officially weighing in until Thursday. But, I will say that I'm "unofficially" down 1 pound!
Awesome, Melissa! Wish I could say the same. Thursday is my official weigh-in day too and I am NOT looking forward to it.

Heck, I was going to start a thread about this but I'd rather "talk" with you gals about it than just "everybody" first, so here goes.

I think I'm afraid of reaching Onederland.

Does that make sense?

I weighed 202.2 on Sunday and the Wii Fit said I weighed 199.6 (they're usually about a pound away from each other and I always go with my Tanita scale, not the Wii Fit). I think I got spooked! Today, my Tanita had me weighing 205.6. I'm soooooooo sad. I think I pushed myself away from dipping below 200 because I'm SCARED of that for some reason.

I've been 240 since December of 2004, for cryin' out loud. Yeah, I've dipped down to about 220 a couple of times in the past three years or so--and obviously, I've spent MOST of 2008 below 220--but it's like hitting 200 and going south of that into Onederland is terrifying somehow. I'm even having bad dreams and panic attacks.

WTF??????????????

*ahem*

Sorry. Back to BistroMD...

Quote:
This is a big psychological hurdle for me. The most weight I've lost on a diet was in college, when I was horrified that I hit 160 <G> and dropped to 125, stayed there for about 30 seconds, and then maintained a more realistic weight (for me) of 135-140. Since then, over the years (way too many than I want to admit to) I've done them all (Nutra, Jenny, low carb, etc) at increasing OMG levels (180, 205, 222, 242). For one 'reason' or another, I'd fall off the wagon before hitting a 30lb weight loss. So the fact that I've hit it, gone past it, and am still very happily moving along, is wonderful mind candy for me. Again thanks for the strokes. And back atcha
-Kathy (now with only 2 chins)
I am seriously so proud of you, Kathy. It's just awesome! As are YOU!

Quote:
I think watching the Olympic volleyball matches is a very good diet & exercise motivator!
LOL Good point!!

Quote:
Unfortunately, out here in California the delivery arrival day is Friday, it takes 5 days or something to get here. I wish I got them overnight, I think it's what has made my billing experiences more confusing (billed for food I haven't received, since it takes so long in the mail). But that dry ice is incredible.
Isn't it??

Quote:
Hubby poured on batch of dry ice in the kitchen sink and then made a halloween-like spooky smoking sink for fun. I was running around wiping off the wood cabinetry worried it would harm the wood! LOL but anyway, I digress...
What fun!!! LOL

Quote:
Birthday was a blast, I got two stainless steel water holders to replace my relentless use of too much plastic (yay!) and went swimming. My that is good exercise. Anyone a swimmer here? I'm not, but I guess I will start because after 1.5 laps I was exhausted and my muscles were working. Seems like a great way to burn calories. Is a person supposed to stretch first?
I try to swim whenever I can. We don't have a pool, though, so it's very irregular. I love it. I find it to be VERY good, all-over exercise. And I love how it impacts my breathing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieCat View Post
Hi, Friends! I started on Saturday and I am very happy with the food. Breakfasts are ok-really love hot chocolate so that helps, snacks are ok but lunch and dinner have been terrific! I am almost happy that the weather here has been so bad, we have had three weeks of rain, so that I am not boiling water in steamy weather. So far, so good.
Yay! So awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieCat View Post
I am plotting an alternative to my two days without Bistro and if it works and I am not trying to leap out of the car as I am passing restaurants, I'll let you know.

Onward and downward!
Good luck!! Let us know, for sure!! (And I love "onward and downward." That's awesome. Brilliant.)

Quote:
It's really great having others starting up at the same time, so I'm not the only one doing the oooh's and aaaah's . I'm keeping score on the menu, but so far, there are alot of 9's and 10's.
More reason to blog! I love to know what's good (yeah, even the stuff I can't have) and what's not so good. Glad you're having 9's and 10's. Fantastic!!

Quote:
Ok. So, have you had the Turkey breast with Cranberry sauce yet? I need a vomit emoticon for that one. Yick. Of course, I'm very picky about my turkey...

I don't ever want to put that in my mouth again. The chicken with cherries and apples was Yummers.
I really like that dish. Oh well. We all have different tastes. Definitely, there are some breasts of turkey that have a little "thing" in 'em that I cut around (something kind of clear and hardened-gel-like), but I figure that's part of the "compressing it into the shape of a breast" process.

But I love the rosemary potatoes and cranberry sauce. It's like a treat, to me!!

Haven't had the chicken with cherries and apples (probably stuffed with breadcrumbs, so they don't send it to me) but it sounds DELISH! Woo! Are you taking photos of your foods to blog about 'em?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie3146 View Post
I'm still doing BMD. It's been about two months now, and things are still going pretty well.
Yay!!!

Quote:
I'm not 100% sticking to the plan. My menus are modified because I can't stomach any artificial sweeteners. So no shakes, donuts, etc. for me. The breakfasts are pretty dull this way...how many times can ya eat those waffles (without the syrup!)?!

I get the 5-day, no snacks plan, and I eat it for dinner every night (unless I go out, but usually 5-6 night a week), and I also do breakfasts and lunches on the weekends and days I'm home from work. I'm just no good at toting food back and forth - never have been! So usually I'll get some breakfast on my way to work (I've been doing egg whites on multi-grain bread), and sometimes salad or fruit for lunch. It's been working pretty well for me.
Sounds pretty good, for an adapted version! Yay, you, for getting so creative and making it work!!

Quote:
I was getting the snacks, but I couldn't get any of the sweets, so it was a lot of chips and puffs, so I stopped them. Now I try to do fruit, a Skinny Cow bar or Edy's pop, or a protein bar.
Perfect! That, plus a handful of cashews or something, is a good list for me too.

Quote:
I still continue to have issues with the service, but I've managed to keep working them out. I still haven't seen a shred of the individual support and encouragement that Grace has, but...whatever. I still like the food and it works, so that's what matters most.
Absolutely, that's what matters! But I'm so bummed you haven't gotten the level of support I have experienced. I got a call on Monday about a change to the menu (they're discontinuing berries, and since I only ever get oatmeal for breakfast, that's 1/3 of each breakfast... GONE. And they haven't sent me plain oatmeal to mix with the high-protein flavored ones since Week 14!!! So, that's actually 2/3 of every breakfast GONE from my menu). So, I asked them to just send me the dinners and lunches ONLY and change my billing. Boom! Done! No problem. They're so awesome to me.

I also got an email from my main CSR asking how things were going, hoping I was having a good week, etc. I just love them. They're good to me. I'm bummed they don't do this with everyone. Maybe it's all of that "early on" work we did together, to get the gluten-free menu put together and working for me (and future orderers of gluten-free plans).

Quote:
I had the cheese ravioli for the first time this week, and it was good! I hope that will be coming more often in the future! And I think my favorite thing has been the Chicken Cordon Blue - that was just yummy! The one thing I can't stand is the Blackened Tilapia. But I probably wouldn't like that anywhere!
Ooh, I like that one. I put tartar sauce on it and eat it UP!! But I love fish. I've had the chicken cordon blue before (they sent it by mistake) and thought it was really good. Very rich!!

Quote:
I'll definitely check in more often from now on!
Yay! Looking forward to seeing you back again!!

Quote:
Another ooh-aah for me was the chicken marsala. It was one of my favorite meals so far. I can't believe it's a lunch. A big tender, moist chicken breast with a sauce that doesn't taste at all diet.<smacking my lips thinking about it>
Jealous!!!!!!! But excited for you! Isn't it easy to follow, when you love the food and find things you like? Yay!

Quote:
I am starting to just grab any meal for lunch and/or dinner, rather than following the menu. Is this okay do you all think?
It's what I do, but with some thought behind it. I've noticed there are meals in the 380 to 420-calorie range and others in the 230 to 300-calorie range. I wouldn't have two of the "higher" ones in one day. I would always try to have one from each "category," as it were, just to be sure I'm not too hungry on some days and over-doing it on others.

Does that make sense?

Quote:
I am starting to think about cancelling my meals. Here is why: In the past, when I kept to a dairy-free and mostly gluten-free diet, w/out coffee and minimal sugar, I lost so much weight and kept it off. Despite the limitations, I never felt hungry because I wasn't counting calories. I could eat as many cashews as I wanted if I was starving, I could snack on gluten-free crackers and goat cheese...

the most difficult part of that is planning and shopping. If I stick to it, I don't have cravings for foods off my plan. Only when I try to just eat a little bread, for example, then I am ruined. It's like being an alcoholic--I can't just do it a little bit. I think this has to do with my blood sugar levels. At least I'm not an alcoholic, so a glass of wine now and then is an indulgence I CAN do!!

So the BMD diet isn't helping me keep my blood sugar even. I'm hungry at night and eating too much crap. I'm downing these artificially sweetened protein snacks and it's keeping my sweet cravings alive. And I don't think I'm losing weight at all. I LOVE having my meals pre-thought through, and delivered. I'm just really questioning if this is the right diet for my body.

I've given this 4 weeks now and I'll give it another week, then I may cancel and try my old way. It's sad to think I'll say goodbye to ravioli...not to mention this really nice group of fellow BMD'ers, but probably in the long run,, better for my body.
Well, Emily, only you (and your body) can know what's best for you, of course.

But here's my take on it.

If you do BistroMD with NO snacks, you can supplement with the gluten-free and dairy-free snacks that you prefer. That keeps you from having artificial sweeteners in your snacks, at least.

Also, BistroMD has menus for gluten-free dieters (like me) and for people who want to avoid the sweeteners. Now, I can't imagine you'd like to try combining both those "issues" (there's VERY little variety for me, JUST gluten-free. If I also avoided the sweeteners, I'd probably only have three or four frozen meals from which to choose), but maybe just eliminating ONE of those things would make the plan more effective for you.

Just a thought.

Good luck, whatever you decide!!!!!

Quote:
I need a gimmick. The gimmick for me is...here is what you can eat. Nothing else...and I eat it.
There's really something to that, isn't there? I like that part of the diet too. Very little thought having to go into it! It's handy!

Quote:
I must say though, my stomach rumbles all the time from this food. I always feel like there is a brick there. I am always hungry at night...but, that is the only way I lose...is if I go to bed hungry.

Off to the gym!
Good for you, going to the gym! I'm sad you're having tummy issues and going to bed hungry. That hasn't happened for me, in 26 weeks on BistroMD. Hmm... (of course, I'm gluten-free, so maybe it's an issue related to some dishes I haven't had).

Quote:
SSHE (Seattle Sutton) is pricey, and I don't know if they do a gluten free plan, but their food is lovely and gets rave reviews. Grace probably knows the answer to the gluten availability. I thought PFFS was trying to kick off a gluten free plan, but I don't know the maturity of it.
I don't know anything about Seattle Sutton, as it landed on my radar after I'd already decided on BistroMD, so I didn't really research it (because I had/have no plans to leave BistroMD, no matter what I found in that research, just now).

Yes, PFFS has a gluten-free program. I do not know anyone who is on it, nor have I seen any reports about it, so everything I know is from their promotional literature. This was one that I actually looked into quite a bit, back when BistroMD was sending me the wrong stuff week after week and I was getting frustrated enough to want to leave (and then, of course, they started getting everything right--and they kept giving me credits/refunds for their mistakes--so I really didn't want to bail at that point. Also, b/c the diet was/is working for me).

Here's the link to the PurFoods Gluten-Free Program: http://www.glutenfreemeals.com/meal_info_list.asp

Lemmeknow if you end up doing it. I'd love to know how yummy it is and whether the diet works!! Some of the items looked SO good that I wondered how they could possibly be "low cal" or "diet" in any way.

Quote:
Speaking of stomach rumbling, I'm going to ask a delicate question. Is anyone else generating enough gas to power the entire eastern US? When I was on Nutrisystem a few years back, a common discussion in the chat room was how to handle the gas, presumably from all of the soy in the foods...the 'product' even had a name...Nutritoots. I think the Bistro snacks may be having the same effect on me. Am I the only one in the group that's full of hot (and sometimes noisy) air?
-Kathy
I've not had this experience at all, Kathy. Again, I'm going to assume it has something to do with my very limited number of food options and perhaps it's got something to do with food items you're getting that I can't have. Sorry. Can't even commiserate with you on this one (but I love "Nutritoots." LOL), but I wish you relief... so to speak.

Quote:
KLC, sorry.... I could power the world with all of the gas I have. Plus....I'm a bit um...stopped up? Usually, I'm a pooping fool. My husband told me if it doesn't stop, I'm going to have to stop eating the food. He says our whole house smells.

What is the deal with Gluten? This is the first time I've heard so much about Gluten.

I'm off to expunge more gas.
Guys, this is so weird. I have NONE of these problems. Now, I also take a supplement that keeps me very regular (did even before starting BistroMD). It's called Perfect Food Super Green Formula (from Garden of Life) and it's like all of your servings of veggies per day (and of course, I'm getting plenty of veggies on BistroMD too).

Maybe that would help?

Melissa, gluten is actually in a lot of foods, but it's the specific WHEAT GLUTEN that most people are talking about, when they say they're avoiding gluten. They will still have the gluten that's in oats, barley, etc. (but some avoid those too, just to be safe).

So, like I can't have noodles unless they're rice noodles. I can't have a cake unless it's baked with almond flour or another nut flour. I have to have corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas when I eat Mexican food. No bread. Oh well... it's good for me to leave that off anyway.

The "story" is, our digestive systems are millions of years in the making. They know how to break down and use/store the right stuff based on millions of years of eating plants and animals.

ONLY in the last 10,000 years has GRAIN been introduced to the digestive system (and there haven't been significant evolutionary changes to the human digestive system in over 100,000 years. We're very slow to adapt, basically).

So, we have something that's pretty "new" in our system and some of us just can't adapt and break it down/use it efficiently. So, some people get celiac disease (I do not have that. I simply have a gluten sensitivity. So if I have gluten, I don't get violently ill... it's just better if I avoid it), some develop Chron's disease. Some suffer from IBS. There is research that says autism is tied in to wheat gluten and many children who are diagnosed with autism can be "cured" by a change in diet if that change comes before too much damage to the digestive system has been done, due to the gluten.

Americans in particular have a VERY HIGH gluten/grain diet. In Europe, they are really great about testing for celiac and offering gluten-free options in MOST restaurants and markets. HERE, there is so much money being made in GRAIN that no one is going to test or market to the gluten-free population, nor publicize the findings that so many illnesses and ailments can be "cured" by cutting gluten from the diet. Instead, we're treated like "trendy" dieters (like those who eat organic only, or who are vegan, macrobiotic, etc.) when what MOST of us are doing, by avoiding gluten, is preventing migraines, lessening our OCD symptoms, preventing rashes, avoiding joint pain, and keeping a healthier weight.

So, hope that wasn't too soap-boxy for you. I've done a lot of research on the whole thing so I could go on and on... but I won't. I can point you to a few links that might be interesting, if you're curious. But basically the way you find out whether gluten is something your body would prefer you avoid is to cut it out ENTIRELY (no sandwiches, no pizza, no pasta, no bread, no buns, no ANYTHING with "flour" or "wheat" or "soy sauce" or "modified food starch" in its ingredients) for two weeks and THEN have a VERY high-gluten meal.

If you get quite ill within a half-hour of that meal, you have a gluten-sensitivity at the very least. (And you'll spend the rest of the day on the toilet.) And you may have celiac disease, but that can only be diagnosed via scope at a doctor's office. The level of damage to the stomach is what tells them whether you have the disease or just a sensitivity to wheat gluten.

Okay... longest post ever. I'll stop now.

Missed you fine folks!!!!!!!!!

Take good care!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #71  

Wow, Grace that is tough! I never knew! I guess if I have it, I'll have to live with it. The thought of doing that for two weeks just to spend the day on the toilet does not sound very fun.

Thanks for all of that information.

I'm not taking pics of the food. I'm just eating it. Most of it is very good. I did email my person and tell her to please make sure I never received another turkey concoction. I do not have the service you have, Grace...but, they are pretty responsive.

As of today, I'm down 3 pounds. It is working...as long as I follow the plan to a T...and don't add my own foods. Granted, I'm hungry..but, I'm losing. I'm hungry because I've been overeating!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #72  

Hi, All ! Tonight will end my 5th day on BMD and I am really happy with the food. My package is on the way and due on my doorstep tomorrow. I DID like the turkey! I have actually loved all the lunch and dinners but I am a veteran of the diet wars and have eaten some really weird concoctions in my quest for the body I vaguely remember having back in the summer of '72.

I, too, am having major gas issues! Too bad it can't be bottled, I'd save a lot on heat this winter. I keep those gas-ex tablets handy before I go into meetings. I did have this same issue when I started both nutrisytem and medifast and it does go away as your body adjust to the new eating. At least it did with me, thank heavens!

Well, it's time for me to head home to the pork loin dinner. Salmon last night was terrif!

Best to all- onward and downward!

Rosie
Old 08-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #73  

Hmmm, I must be really picky. I took one bite of that turkey and spit it out. Bleck. I ate peanut butter that night.

Well, today was my official weigh in and I'm down 2.5 pounds. I was hoping for more with it being my first week...but, 2.5 is OK. Someone said something about waffles. I haven't received any waffles yet....

I want some waffles.

Another TMI moment from me. The gas and constipation has turned to mush. Literally. I took my daughters to the pool today and they spent most of the time standing in the bathroom with me. I'm wondering if I got a bug from the gym or something.....

I just had the chicken fajitas and that was GOOD. I must say that I'm looking forward to "MY night".

Anyone else weighing in? I'd like to hear it!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #74  
klc

Melissa! 2 1/2 lbs is wonderful! Congrats! My weight in is on Sunday mornings, so I've still got a few days, but I'm really excited to hear how everyone is doing. Hoping that everyone has a nice loss, so we can keep the momentum going. You definitely did your part. That is so great!

I'm really hoping this works, cause I LOVE the food so far...yep, even the turkey...the turkey itself was so-so, but that cranberry sauce was to die for. It's amazing how different peoples tastes are. The chocolate was my least favorite protein drink, but I betcha it's alot of peoples favorite.

Grace, don't let your mind turn Onederland into a spooky place. And PLEASE don't beat yourself up by second-guessing what you've already accomplished. You are incredible, successfully dropping the pounds with one arm tied behind your back with the gluten thing. You need to mosey thru the door and give those of us who are still on the yellow brick road a full report on how beautiful it is!! Go Gracie, go Gracie...

-Kathy
Old 08-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #75  
Starting Over

Default What's with the Soups?!

Know what I can't figure out for the life of me? Has anyone looked at the soups?! WHY do the packages all contain one and a half servings?!

I could understand if they were including a pre-packaged product (some of the snacks seemed to be that way too), but this is their own product, their packaging...it doesn't make sense to me. You're a diet plan, you're trying to teach and promote portion control and label-reading, etc...but you include a meal in your plan that doesn't make sense. Are you supposed to throw a part of it away uneaten?

Why don't they just make it a smaller package? Or, if you're supposed to eat the whole thing anyway, then SAY it is one portion, and just up all the nutrition info (calories, protein, fiber, etc.) accordingly.

Just my gripe of the night!
Closed Thread