3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc

Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Pure Foods Fresh Start

Old 01-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #61

I don't much like soup so I didn't order any of those, however I can tell you that the food I received does have obvious preservatives. Not only that but the label that they make a big deal about us clicking on to see how pure they are (they did this with me on the phone) is totally different than what you get when you receive the product (although I can't speak for the soups, only most of what I have received). It doesn't mean I am throwing in the towel because of it by any means, but it is what it is and I was not happy to have discovered it (there are pros and cons with all meal delivery programs and this is definitely one of their cons). Here is the label from the Banana Walnut Pancakes Breakfast alone (I won't go into the regular ingredients, but here are the preservatives):

Salt Dextrose
Sodium Phosphates
BHT
Citric Acid
Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate
Cornstarch
Monocalcium Phosphate

Personally I think after reading that label, there would be no question mark. Point is that they tell you there are NO preservatives which is actually a big selling point. As you can see, there are several preservatives in this one dish alone (and they are not all from the sausage either). I have others that have similar labels with plenty of them in there and these are not the labels they have online! I absolutely love the food. The chicken they use is just incredible, but I call a spade a spade because hey it is what it is. My husband and I were both quite surprised by the labels and the sales pitch spouting just the opposite. I was wondering how they could ship food without any preservatives like they claim ground service and now I have my answer.

On a positive note, the food is blowing me away. I may actually stick with this due to the food (and of course if it helps me to lose weight), although with my thyroid I can't have any of their soy products. The one thing I do miss with Jenny Craig were those screamingly delicious desserts (the cheesecakes tasted like something out of an exclusive restaurant or something). I am not fond of the Pure Foods cookies at all. The chocolate squares are yummy and the nuts are tasty. I keep some 94% fat free Pop Secret on hand in case I get a day where I am ravenous throughout all of this (in case of emergency break glass kind of thing). You can eat a whole bag of that stuff it's only a couple hundred calories (and delicious too)! Just trying to get down all the water right now!

Last edited by PrincessDietMuch : 01-09-2009 at 03:21 PM.
PrincessDietMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #62
Turtle Extraordinaire

Not to pick nits, but ... well, OK, let's pick nits.

Sodium phosphate is an emulsifier; it keeps oils from separating. Not a preservative. Ditto cornstarch.

Salt dextrose is a sweetener.

Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate is a leavening agent. So is Monocalcium Phosphate.

Citric acid is a preservative; it's a naturally occurring acid in citrus fruits and juices.

BHT is a flat-out chemical preservative, and I'm surprised it's in there. That's the only one that strikes me as a direct contradiction to their marketing statement about using no preservatives. Hm.

Glad you're enjoying the food at any rate.

Lauren
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #63

A preservative is a preservative and you should be surprised. I know I was. I am one of millions of consumers out there who are truly tired of companies that will say whatever they have to in order to sell their goods. I'm not a fan of false advertising. I think if you have a great product, it's unnecessary and the product will sell itself. I honestly don't want stabilizers and preservatives in my food (and certainly not when the biggest selling point that's pushed is that it's free of preservatives). I think what astounds me most is the most blatant form of misrepresentation which is their online labels that completely differ from the ones you get when you receive the food. I think rah rah sis boom bah is great and everything...go team and all that but not with blinders on. I can't ignore the obvious although again I am impressed with the taste and quality of the food. I think I would have been fine if they had simply said we use few preservatives, but when you hype and hype and over hype how you are the one that has none and it's totally pure and free of anything and that's why you are paying more blah blah etc and it has several (or even one major one because you are not supposed to have any) then that can be a bit disappointing. If I join a program that is supposed to have completely gluten free meals and I get them delivered and see that gluten is on the labels even though they swore that my food would not have any traces of gluten, I would be upset. It's all about honesty and complete disclosure. I honestly did not think it would even be a subject of debate because the proof is on the labels.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #64

P.S. Almost forgot...Can't believe how delicious the egg dishes are! I had the Egg skillet with sweet potato's and the eggs actually tasted delicious and had a texture I loved. They also did not have any notable or strange egg odor like some egg diet dishes can have. The Balsamic Chicken and Lemon pasta was to die for! I honestly feel like these are take out foods because they taste that good and don't even remotely taste like diet food! I would want to eat like this if I was in perfect shape and could eat what I wanted! The meals are scrumptious and filling! They are small but actually not as tiny as some of the meals I am used to from JC. Also they seem to fill me up more and leave me not as hungry as JC's sugary selections often did. I'm not sure I will ever go back to JC again now that I have discovered this and other alternatives that are fresher and actually make you feel like you are indulging.

I am going to have the Fritatta tomorrow and that looks incredible! I just wish that this was more in the range of Diet To Go as far as pricing because this almost $700.00 a month is going to kill me if I stay on it too long (I am thinking 4 months tops to lose what I need). Then I will have trained myself to eat more normally portioned food and hopefully make better choices. If I had the money I might be inclined to just stay on this thing indefinitely because of the quality of the food!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #65

Princess,
Just a comment re PFFS...... if you really like their food and the $$ becomes and issue.. remember they also produce the food for Ediets.... they are a touch cheaper if you can put up with some of their inconsistencies re delivery.
I really was happy with Ediets until they fell apart after that dumb website mess.. Many of us former edieters recall fondly of the BEFORE the mess times.. Food was good .. price was right and lots of good support in the online groups including the exercise portions. I only wish these other meal delivery companies would link up with a similar program. That is what made ediets standout..

Oh..... and the fact that MANY insurance companies offer discounts for ediets.
Good eating and LOSING.. best wishes

Renita

crenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #66

Aww thank you Renita!

I was looking at that. I thought if things get stagnant for me on Pure Foods, I would do just that. Either go to Diet To Go's Low Carb plan (not the regular) or do Deliciously Yours (because the food is made by the same people and it's cheaper). The guy at Pure Foods told me that he thinks Deliciously Yours got everything on track now. That they just grew faster than they were prepared for or something. I must admit this food is incredible! You honestly don't feel like you are dieting which is a first for me on any plan. I just wish that Diet To Go's Low Carb plan was as cheap as their regular low fat plan because then I could save some serious money (Diet To Go has incredible food as well it seems and their regular three meals a day 7 days a week plan is only $125.00 with shipping!

What's really cool to me is that we have options so we can simply shift to another meal delivery plan and continue to lose when we get stagnant on one (it used to be you only had Jenny Craig or Nutrisystems and that was it). I love that we have all these choices and they are all delicious!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #67
Turtle Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessDietMuch View Post
Aww thank you Renita!
What's really cool to me is that we have options so we can simply shift to another meal delivery plan and continue to lose when we get stagnant on one (it used to be you only had Jenny Craig or Nutrisystems and that was it). I love that we have all these choices and they are all delicious!
Yes! I agree. I'm so glad these plans are available now. I've never found losing weight to be this easy before.

I'm glad to hear Deliciously Yours seems to be doing better. I want *all* these companies to do well in the long run, so we can continue to have choices and keep costs down.

Lauren
Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #68

S/C/G: 198/Ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Hummm what to do? I thought I had six weeks left of Pure Foods, but I got a message from Craig that the shipment I got this week was my last. Whoops I guess I only had three. I am tempted to take a break for a bit and diet on my own. But sheesh that means cooking and preplanning..lol.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #69

I hate to say it but by the end of my second week, I was already tired of the food (it took me months to feel that way on Jenny Craig). It wasn't that it wasn't good or anything but it all tasted the same to me. The actual chicken pieces were delicious, but everything around that did not impress me all that much once I really got into it. I was also super hungry on this plan. I am eager to start Diet To Go at this point. I have heard wonderful things about their special low carb plan. I saw the menu and knew it would be an excellent one for me to try. Prime Rib, Omlette's with big sausage links, short ribs, pork chops! I think I will do better on high protein and less carbs. As for snacks, I am just going to buy a little fruit, some string cheese and a box of chocolate squares to have one at night as a treat if I must. Low fat diets always seem to leave me hungry and fighting to drop those pounds. I have heard some excellent feedback on the whole Atkins approach and how those types of diets can really burn fast for you. I wanted to love Pure Foods so much and in truth it is not a bad plan at all but it's not for me. I don't see myself sticking to that food for long.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #70
klc

I did both eDiets and PFFS (I'm now on another meal delivery program...what can I say...I'm hooked). Both programs worked equally well for me in the weight loss arena. It's all personal preference, but I liked eDiets menu better than PFFS. EXCEPT for the PFFS fritatta. I was so bad hooked on that thing that I ordered 5 of them each week...I love what I'm doing now, but I still miss that. Princess, I hope you liked it as much as I did. If you're getting bored with PFFS, try out eDiets. Be sure to get the pork fried rice, the red beans and rice (eDiets had a tasty sausage in theirs), BBQ chicken (has corn and potatos...yum) and the chicken with creamy potato thing. Also, I'm decadent...I loved their breakfast muffins(especially the apple one, that PFFS has as well).
-Kathy
Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #71
klc

Forgot to add that if protein is your thing (jumping in here for Renita , we're both on a higher protein plan) get high protein snacks...they really do a lot better at keeping you at a constant level. She published a list over on the Bistro thread of normal grocery store stuff, but you can also buy some great ones at dietdirect.com or myhealthmanagement.com. Be sure to look for the ones that have a similar carb to protein ration (and also stay away from the ones that have huge cals, no matter how good they look
-KLC
Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #72

sorry to revive an old thread, but can anyone direct me to the list of high protein snacks mentioned in the post above? TIA.
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #73

hello all, I am debating between Diet to go Low fat, low carb and PFFS. I tried ediets in the past and hated it, the meals were miniscule and my vegetables were always pickled, sour or plain spoilt. I am afraid to try PFFS since is the same company. However, I like that PFFS is fresh, cause when I did DTG in the past, my food was swimming in water , ha, what to do. I got so tired, I gave up on meal delivery and I don't know where to go. any ideas

oseybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #74
Turtle Extraordinaire

Oseybaby, delivery plans aren't for everyone. Have you ever tried Weight Watchers? That's the best non-delivery program I've ever done. I managed to lose and keep off a good amount of weight with them, and I plan to re-join them when I get closer to my goal.

I'm still on PFFS and still enjoying it. Sixteen months and counting! I'm down about 73 pounds, which is a good rate of weight loss for me. (I'm not as careful on vacations -- a girl has to have a break now and then.) I like the food, but I don't know how it compares to eDiets. If it's the same company, I would expect it would be similar. PFFS focuses on low-glycemic-index foods, which I appreciate. Diabetes is huge in my family.

Good luck!

Lauren
Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #75

Lauren... has PFFS.. added anything new since last year ???

crenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.