Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 283/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Supplementing Deliciously Yours

I've just started on Deliciously Yours. So far, so pretty good. Not every meal has been a winner, but there are some that are great (I particularly enjoyed the Rio Grande Burritto and the Tuscan Chicken and Fettuccine).

However, despite the alloted snack, I find myself getting fairly hungry between meals. And by fairly hungry, I mean ravenous. Despite trying to drink water/distract myself/smoke (I know, I know, but one thing at a time) my way through it, it doesn't work. These are definitely hunger pangs. So, I've been supplementing between meals with low-fat string cheese, yogurt, fruit, or 1/2 a Special K bar (per seating). It's usually a snack of between 45-70 calories. I've been doing two on top of my alloted snack (one between each meal and then a post-dinner nosh). This adds an additional 100-150 calories for snacks. I've also been slightly upping the fruit at meals by about 1/2 serving or so (an additional 60 calories per day, give or take). So, I'm adding anywhere between 160 and 210 calories/day, bringing my total closer to 1500 calories than the 1350 or so I'd consume if I stuck rigidly to the eDiets regimen.

I have quite a bit of weight to lose, and weigh (gulp) 250+, so I figure upping by some calories isn't that bad ("there are worse things I could do...") if it prevents me from starving and then horking down bad for me things later, and it will also give me somewhere to go once I start losing (since I don't see myself ever dropping much below 1200 calories a day if I want to function). I'm trying to make smart choices about what I put in my mouth, but don't want to blow the whole process before I even get started, either. Am I rationalizing? Do other people supplement their delivered products? Should I be keeping my calories lower? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Bobbie Wickham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Bobbie

I tried DY for a week and I thought the quality of the food is just horrible. The menu was things I could make at home or 2 bites of food. I was on the basic plan and if you add up the calories for the food they give you, it avg 900-1000 calories a day. That is including snacks. So it was no wonder you and I was starving on that plan. I did eat my yogurts and fruits as well along with drinking a whole cup a water with each thing I ate. Still it wasn't enough. I switched to Diet To Go and just the first day when I received the food, I could tell the difference. I am on the 1200 plan and my husband is on the 1600 calorie plan. DTG gives you all the 1200 or 1600 in their 3 meals. When I am hungry I usually eat a healthy snack like a handful of baby carrots or non fat yogurt with some fresh fruit. I generally snack 2-3 times day. Not all the food is great, I love some meals and some are just OK. But I am much more satified at the end of a meal. The price is pretty much the same. That was my experience on DY and I am so glad I changed to DTG.

p.s. I found that a handful of baby carrots does the trick for me. Also a Granola bar crushed with a Non Fat Yogurt. Other snacks I use are grapes & blueberries handful each. Or couple slices of watermelon.

Last edited by akcher; 08-13-2007 at 12:27 PM.
akcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:42 PM   #3  

I've only had one or two items that I thought were truly horrible. I've perked up some items with additional seasoning/sauce (I do count those calories). I do see myself testing a couple of options out once contracts run out (I'm in for 4 weeks). Sadly, I really don't have time to cook, because you are right--a lot of this stuff I could do at home. But, I have a full time job and go to law school at night, and I know myself--if it isn't there waiting for me when I get home and have homework in front of me, I'll play the "I'll order Chinese/pizza/Mexican/Thai/etc. to be delivered just this once..." card until it becomes my primary mode of sustenance, and that's how I got where I am today. So, I guess I am going to continue how I've been going on--eating reasonable snacks to tide me over when I am hungry. I think I may check my calorie count with the ladies at the calorie counting board, though, since they seem to have some great insights on that. Thanks much, I definitely plan on taking a look at Diets to Go (if I only I could afford those Healthy Chef creation meals, or whatever the Florida-based company is--those look phenomenal).
Old 08-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #4  

Default how is the food

hi Bobbie,
How is the food from ediets Deliciously yours?
regards,
rmkrdx
rmkrdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/196/135

Height: 5'4"

Bobbie,

I haven't ever tried DY. I am on DTG. I really like it. I have trouble sticking to it. My husband doesn't like it that I eat on my own and leave him to eat something else, so I give in alot (not that it takes alot of arm twisting to get me right back into my old habits).

I am on the 1200 cal plan and I do add snacks to bring my cals up to 1500. I went on one of the websites that has a calorie calculator and I need more than 1200, but less than 1600. Those are the only two cal plans that DTG offers. I did a google search for "how many calories do I need a day" and there are many websites with calculators to help you figure out how many calories you eat to sustain your weight and how many you need to help you lose weight.

I am not starting with 1200 cal b/c I want to have somewhere to go. If I hit a time where my weight loss stallls - I can cut some calories. I am afraid that if I start at 1200 - first of all I will be starving all of the time, and second of all I think my body will learn to live on 1200 cal and then what will I have to do to lose more weight?

I have been yo-yo ing the same 8 lbs since April. This is definately going to be one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life!
workit120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #6  

Sorry for the late reply--I haven't checked this forum lately. Anyway... I stopped after my four week trial. The food was okay, but I just got really bored with it. There were a lot of things that I didn't like in terms of options, so that really limited my choices, which is my own problem. Also, some of the stuff like the roast beef and turkey sandwiches were just kind of icky, and I can make that better and easily on my own. To be honest, I was so sick of it by the 4th week, I just packed up all that food minus a few items and left it in the cooler with "Free Food" written on it for the homeless people in my neighborhood. So, if that tells you something, I was giving it away at the end (I really didn't want to eat it, but it seemed a shame for it to go to waste when there were hungry people right outside).

I will say, it did help focus my ideas on what and how much I should be eating and jump started my weightloss, so for that alone, it was kind of worth it. I have to say, though, I found it too limiting and not delicious enough to be a viable long-term option.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 227.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Today is my second day on Deliciously Yours so I thought I would post my thoughts on the food so far. I am on the 7-day, 3 meals plus one snack program. I chose this diet because I'm single and don't like to cook or shop for food just for myself and I knew I would stick to this diet if I liked the food. I love the fact that I can open up my refrigerator and there's the food, already cooked, so I'm not tempted to run out for fast food. I joined thru eDiets and initially picked a different diet. But when I printed out the diet and shopping list, I realized I was probably going to pay at least $150 just to buy all the food listed and then there was the prep time. So I changed to DY because the food is fresh, not frozen and no prep time. This diet allows you two additional "dairy" items which I calculated comes to about 48 calories, and 3 fruits, which I figure to be about 165 calories,which you have to buy yourself. Knowing myself, if I don't have dessert everyday, I'm going to be craving sweets, so I chose to buy low cal desserts instead of the dairy and fruit. Within these calorie ranges I found Weight Watcher's ice cream bars & sandwiches, Smart One's chocolate eclairs (so good and only 140 cal.), and Mrs. Smith's Heavenly 100 Apple Crisp. I know I'm supposed to have the fruit, but this is my way of compromising so I'll stick to the diet, and not increasing my alloted calories. Eventually I'll might start adding fruit back into my diet.

Yesterday was my first day and I was pretty hungry because the DY meals are small so I had an extra ice cream bar. I decided I'm not going to beat myself up if I get hungry, I'll just find something low cal to eat and eventually hope I get used to less food, but I'm not going to starve myself. These are the DY meals I've had so far:

Rolled Oats w/Honey & Yogurt - very good.
Turkey Chili with Black beans - not too bad, might order again.
Sliced Ham, Hashed Brown Potato & Vegetables - Terrible, threw half of it away!
English muffin with peanut butter - okay, but probably would sub with another choice next time.
Sugar free pudding - good, but not very sweet; would order again tho.
Beef & Noodles and Raisins - Bland, no flavor, terrible! I feel like writing to DY and telling them to take this off the menu.
Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and corn - this was pretty good, would order again. I added ketchup to the meatloaf.

This is the basic menu, not the more expensive "gourmet" one, so I'm going to try this first and see how I like it. The snacks are really small, like 10 peanuts, although the chocolate pudding was more satisfying. The breakfasts are small, but I'm not a big breakfast eater anyway, and with a cup of coffee are enough. I'm glad the website lets you make substitutions ahead of time if you don't want something on the menu.

P.S. One of the dinner meals was not included with the shipment, so if you order this diet, check everything.

Last edited by Seventyseven; 11-18-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Seventyseven is offline   Reply With Quote