Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/211/160

Height: 5"5

Default Seattle Suttons??

OK...since my BIGGEST problem (besides lack of exercise) is portion control I have looked into this meal preparation company. Yes, it's really expensive. But I'm thinking it's cheaper than a lap-band or Lypo! lol
Seriously, if I do it for a month and it works it might be all I need to help me continue on my own. I know how to eat right, I just need to stop eating so much!!
So has anyone heard of this? I couldn't find it on the "diets" thread and thwere's no "search" button on this site.
Thanks!
reneeks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:42 PM   #2  

Height: 5'10"

There is a whole forum on this board about this.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=194

There are more programs besides Seattle Sutton. There is Ediets Deliciously Yours, Diets To Go, Diet To Your Door, and several more.

I just ordered Ediets Deliciously Yours. It should get here tomorrow.
fitwayoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been on it. In fact, I learned about it when I was working at the hospital in Ottawa, IL just out of college. Seattle Sutton's husband was the doctor for the hospital's substance abuse and mental health patients, and I learned about it through him and was on the program before she franchised, and actually got to meet her.

The food is pretty good, but very "Midwest-bland." You have to add milk, but I don't think anything else. If you've been to the site, you've seen their menus. Surprisingly the menu hasn't changed much in 18 years. There were a couple meals I didn't care for, but the only things I personally wouldn't eat are apple sauce and prunes. Before you put your meals in the fridge, though take out your fruit and let them ripen on the counter, otherwise the fruit tends to be under-ripe.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-27-2008 at 12:29 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #4  

[B]fitway: I looked all over that forum and didn't see anything on SS specifically.
You mentioned eDiets. I'm gonna check that out. Let me know how it is. I did Nutri System and lost 10lbs in a month. But freeze dried food? Eeew..kinda creeped me out.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #5  

Height: 5'10"

I meant there was a whole forum that was dedicated to diet delivery plans.

If you type Seattle Sutton in Google, there is information on it.

Here is a review from someone who did it. It doesn't sound that good to me.

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/20...tle_sutton.php
fitwayoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #6  
Lesley

S/C/G: 277/262/150

We have something called Pass Your Plate that my friend and I do. It's not diet food, but it's not terribly unhealthy either. Well sometimes it has its moments, but since like you portion control was a big problem for me we did one where you split the big meals and you have food to feed 2-3 people depending on their appetites. This is great for both of us, cause we each have a toddler and a husband. I actually stopped gaining weight despite my binges when I started this. It's easy so I'm not tempted to pick up something frozen and unhealthy on the way home because I don't want to cook. Since I've gotten the binging under control I've been steadily losing weight! I love it and its not ridiculously expensive by any means about 6.50 a meal, which is less than we'd pay if we were buying the stuff to make it. Unlike the other programs though you actually have to put the meals together yourself then take them home and freeze them. We have fun doing that though, gives us a chance for some girl time sans husbands and babies.
ScooterGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #7  
it's always something

I haven't tried Seattle Sutton because the menu didn't look good to me. I read her book, though, and it explains the menu. Colleen mentioned the lack of menu changes, and the owner seems to feel strongly about that. She stated that she's received many suggestions and requests over the years which she has always refused because she believes that when something works, you don't need to change it. I don't agree with that. Tastes change, plus there's such a huge variation of people out there. I wonder how many more customers they could reach - and help - if they made a few changes.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #8  

I love spicy and ethnic foods and alot more variety than the plan offered. It probably was the biggest reason (though I think I probably thought it was the money) that I couldn't stay with the plan. Overall the plan tasted a lot better than nutrisystem, but at least with nutrisystem you got to "pick your poison."

I remember when I asked if there were any way to buy doubles of some meals in order to skip others, I was also told the "no substitutions rule," but the rationale I was given was that it would drive up the cost of the plan (of course I suppose it was too early in the plan's life style to argue for not messing with success). I believe it still has much more to do convenience and cost for the company, rather than the effectiveness of the plan. As long as the company is profitable as is, I guess she sees no reason to change.

I guess I can't fault her for that, but she definitely would have more clients interested in the program if you didn't feel like you were eating in an old-style hospital or school cafeteria.

Compared to Nutrisystem the food was amazing, but that's not much of a comparison. To anyone whose idea of ethnic food reaches beyond pizza, though the plan is a challenge. Since her website has full menus for the 5 weeks, I can only say read them, and if it doesn't appeal to you at all, don't bother. If 2/3 are something you enjoy, and most of the rest at least sound edible you might want to give it a try.

I understand that they do deliver now for an extra charge if you're far enough away (through the mail). In the past you had to drive to the distribution center twice a week or make arrangements with the distributor to see if they would deliver for an additional fee.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #9  

Oh, and I don't know if they still do it, but when I started you could try a meal or two for under $10. The first day I walked in, that's what I was intending to do, but it was just a few minutes before closing and someone had not picked up their food. I don't remember if it was Seattle herself, or the distribution center manager, but she gave me the package of food to try free.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #10  

Just wanted to add an update: I am almost done with my first week on Seattle Suttons. So far I love it! It's 1200 calories and I haven't felt hungry really at all (ok...ONE evening I did) I've liked just about everything (breakfast bread had nuts...eew) I add salt and pepper or spray butter on it and it's been great. I've already lost 3 Lbs.! It's $119 a week. Which IS expensive. But I do so much running that I eat lunch out almost everyday and I always spend around $8. This is about $5 a meal. It only has 5 weeks of menus and then starts over. But who knows? At the end of 5 weeks I might be able to handle things on my own and have a nice jump start on things
Old 02-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #11  
Weight Watcher

S/C/G: 170/168/145

I have used Seattle Sutton on several occasions. I stopped just before the holidays since there were so many dates when we would be out and eating, and never went back. But I think it's a good program.

Their website gives very straightforward information, including portions, ingredients and nutrition information for all of the meals. They have two plans, one at 1200 cal and the other at 2000. The calorie count for the food you get is actually less than that, because it assumes that you drink 2 glasses of milk for the 1200 plan, and three glasses of milk on the 2000 cal plan, and those milk calories are counted for your daily allotment.

They have a lot of things going for them. First, the food is fresh. Nothing is dehydrated or frozen. In my opinion, there is a good variety of vegetables, and a good variety of menu items. Unlike what you may have read elsewhere, they do make updates to their menus. For example, there are no trans fat is any item. They have removed some entrees and added others.

The negatives: Sometimes the fruit was underripe : ( with no hope of ever ripening - like the pears. That poor pear would rot before it woud ripen. No problem of course with apples, grapes or oranges. There is no beef or pork, the meals are eaither vegetarian, or with chicken or turkey. Sometimes I got tired of yet another chicken breast. If you don't like an item, well, you're out of luck. There are no substitutions. Check out the menus on their websites to see if their foods agree with your palate and nutrition goals.
HiHoHiHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/198.5/140

The biggest problem I found is the limited plans (1200 and 2000). If you are larger you don't want to go down to a 1200 cal plan to start off with. You will see quick results but in the long run your body will fight the weight loss. Best plans are tailored for you weight. 1600 cal, 1400 then 1200. I wouldn't stay away from SS if you like the meals...I would just add healthy food as needed for you cal count.
babybluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:34 AM   #13  

I believe they've nearly doubled their prices in the last year too, which makes Seattle Sutton's Healthy Eating the most (or pretty close to the most) expensive nationally available meal delivery plan (I'm sure you can find more expensive local businesses across the country).
Old 06-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #14  

Hey all!

i am on Seattle Sutton and am blogging about it here:

seattlesuttonskinny.wordpress.com

You can tell this from my posts, but for the most part I LOVE it.

I live in an area (also Michigan) where they have local pickups and delivery. I only pay $119 for the 1,200 calorie version and my fiance's 2,000 calorie version is $139.

It's cheaper for me than eDiets, PFFS, DTG, BistroMD, or any other mail order plan.

On the other hand, if you don't have a local distribution center and you sign up for nationwide delivery, it's about $260 a week. I think it's because they ship overnight via DHL twice a week instead of once for the other plans. Still it's the freshest I've seen and there's nothing to add except 2 or 3 glasses of milk a day.

If anyone has questions I'm happy to answer them!

Last edited by Rachael81; 06-27-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Rachael81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #15  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael81 View Post
Hey all!

i am on Seattle Sutton and am blogging about it here:

seattlesuttonskinny.wordpress.com

You can tell this from my posts, but for the most part I LOVE it.

I live in an area (also Michigan) where they have local pickups and delivery. I only pay $119 for the 1,200 calorie version and my fiance's 2,000 calorie version is $139.

It's cheaper for me than eDiets, PFFS, DTG, BistroMD, or any other mail order plan.

On the other hand, if you don't have a local distribution center and you sign up for nationwide delivery, it's about $260 a week. I think it's because they ship overnight via DHL twice a week instead of once for the other plans. Still it's the freshest I've seen and there's nothing to add except 2 or 3 glasses of milk a day.

If anyone has questions I'm happy to answer them!
Do you happen to know where the local pick-up centers are located? Obviously, Michigan, since that's where you pick-up, but do you happen to know the other main "spots"?

Because that $119 beats what I'm paying for BistroMD (but obviously, that $260 if I had to have it delivered, like I do with BistroMD, would be nearly $100 more than what I'm currently spending).

Also, is your $119 for seven days with snacks (I'm guessing yes, since you're saying you've only had to add milk, each day).

Thanks in advance for your answers. So glad you're having a good experience and I'm eager to learn more about your program!

Have a great weekend.
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote