Old 11-29-2006, 06:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Default liking who I am right now

From For Today pg.331

"The diet-and-binge syndrome experienced by many compulsive overeaters is a classic example of "forgetfulness." Each time I dieted myself down to a satisfying slimness, the danger of regaining weight seemed remote- despite repeated proof that gaining back the lost pounds is a natural consequence of diet-and-weight-loss regimens.
Thank God I am in a program that does not talk about dieting and losing weight, but rather tells me what I can do to like who I am right now."

Yes indeed, thank God. I read this this morning and couldn't wait to call my sponsor and read it to her. I love it, and I love you guys too. Thanks for being here.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/248/155

Height: 5'3''

Thanks Marny, this reminds me how much work I still need to do. I need to read and work the steps more. I need to read the Big Book. Things I know I need to do, but I find I am so focused on what my food plan is for the day that I loose sight.

I certainly like myself MUCH more than when I was in the food. But I have a long way to go in learning to love myself unconditionally. I hope an attainable goal.

May I never forget.
CrispyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

I love this too Marny.

"Thank God I am in a program that does not talk about dieting and losing weight, but rather tells me what I can do to like who I am right now."

I really feel this way about program.

I kept waiting for someone to say okay now cut out sugar, now white flour, now this and that. But it never happened. It's the first time in my life I don't feel like I'm on a diet. I care more about nutrition and healing my body and mind than I do about calories right now. That's NEVER happened in my life.

I'm not bingeing or eating constantly between meals. I look forward to my meal instead of thinking about the calories. It's not to say that I don't ever think about my binge foods because I do. But they don't own me, with the support and tools of OA.

Thank you.
Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #4  

Charlene-
Mmmm. The taste of abstinence. It's awesome. The freedom from the obsession is miraculous.

Liking who I am right now is new for me. I don't think I've ever liked myself until I came to OA. It's such a gift to be able to be alone and at peace with myself, or to be with others and continue to be at peace with myself. Living life on life's terms isn't always easy, but it's WAY better than muddling through life addicted and abusing food to cope.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #5  

How do you accomplish liking yourself?
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:26 PM   #6  

Carol-

The key to your question is in the following sentence:
"Thank God I am in a program that does not talk about dieting and losing weight, but rather tells me what I can do to like who I am right now."

To learn how to like myself, I work the OA 12 step program. Through the steps, I've learned that I'm not in control, God is. I have a disease; I am not a compulsive overeater due to weakness or a lack of will. I've learned that I don't have to carry secret shame for the rest of my life. I've shared it with another, and been recieved with love. I've learned that what I've done in my past are forgiveable mistakes, and I've forgiven myself and accepted God's forgiveness too. I've learned that I can only count on God, so I no longer overstress the importance of people, places, and things in my life. This saves me a lot of heartache. I entrust everyday to God's care and through that action, I let go of expectations, worry, and control. Instead I am able to enjoy each day of my life and whatever it brings.

I enjoy myself each day by being loving, honest, kind, forgiving, and of service. I take care of myself physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I like my place in OA, my place in God's world, and my place in my family.