Old 10-23-2006, 03:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/268.5/180

Height: 5'10"

Default Coming Back

Hi All,

I am so thrilled to have found this website. I am trying to come back to OA. I am 51 and at least 100 lbs overweight. I am so tired of living my life in bondage to food and really want the joyuous and free life that I once had for a short time in OA. Back in 1994, I came to OA, did the grey sheet and worked with a tought sponsor and lost 70 lbs. However I have regained that 70 and then some. I know that none of this is news to any of you who battle overeating. I have probably every diet book ever written and have been doing "research" for the past 12 years on how to find an easier, softer way. What I have found is that this is the easier softer way - it's the only that works for this coe. I don't have a sponsor yet , I'm afraid of that committment. I went to a meeting on Sat which was wonderful but can't get to many during the week. I tried the recovery group website but it does not work right for me. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Anyway just wanted to introduce myself and to say thank you for being here.
Janet
justducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Janet-
I'm so glad you're here. I love what you wrote:
"What I have found is that this is the easier softer way - it's the only that works for this coe."

That's great that you were able to get to a meeting. There are only two a week in the town that I live in. Wish there were more. Some folks attend open AA meetings to supplement. The steps are the same, and to me, program is program. So, that's another option for you.

We admitted we were powerless over food-- that our lives had become unmanageable.

Our surrender in the first step makes us teachable and willing. Do you still have your OA books? Reading them is a great place to be.

I'm here for you.
Marny
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 276/209/160

Height: 5'5

Hi Janet,
I am starting OA myself, it was very encouraging that you say OA is the softer way because I have been trying to find that softer way for years only to fail time and time again. Until now I never really looked at my disease for what it was a disease.
About not having many oa F2F meetings. I also go to open AA meetings, and am reading the Big Book and just exchanging the word alcohol for food.
Keep coming back we can also have mini meetings here.
Marny would you do the honors of posting a topic, maybe this board will get more active if a topic is placed once a week and we can share with one another, just a thought
Hugs
Denise
deebygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Hi Janet,

Glad you're here. The more support we can all give each other, the better I say!

In just the past few days since discovering OA, the very best part is that I now know that there are others who have been in the pain we feel and are living happy, free-from-food lives.

It's proof that we can do it too.

Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:20 AM   #5  

I wanted to let you know that I shared what you wrote about OA being easier softer way at my meeting tonight. I really thought it was great, and I knew my fellow OAers would too.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/268.5/180

Height: 5'10"

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I can't find my OA books because my bedroom is such a mess but I know they are there and hope to have some time soon to look for them. I do have the Big Book however so I can read that. Marny, I thought I saw in one of your posts that you have an online version of the first two steps. If that is correct, could you send them to me? I appreciate you all and look forward to getting to know you better and walking through our journey together. I did eat compulsively last night. It isn't so much about what I ate but how and the mindset I had while I was eating. So I admit it to you all here and now the next step is to do the best I can today. Thanks again to all of you for being here.

Janet
justducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 276/209/160

Height: 5'5

Janet,
I am glad your here. Yes, admitting it is a good thing, someone told me we are only as sick as our secrets. That is why publically now I have to admit my intention to "hopefully" keep me accountable. So in a sense, you all are my sponsers also.
Hugs
Denise
deebygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #8  

Janet--
I wish I had the steps online. I've looked for them all over the internet, but haven't found them. I wish that I could send them to you! Sometimes I type small portions of the step, and that may have been what you saw.

Reading the Big Book is awesome. I love reading the Doctor's Opinion at the beginning. It really helps me to see that I have an allergy of the body and an obsession of the mind when it comes to my trigger foods.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:39 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

Default Does OA have on-line groups or support?

For YEARS, I have wished for an OA Group in my area (rural OK), but nothing. I have read about it -- know that is what I need -- but do not have the group support which would be available in cities.

Is there anything available online?
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Yes Lizzy! There are 24 hr online meetings every three hours eastern time 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm, 12am, 3am, 6am, 9am. So you'd have to figure out the time difference for where you live.

www.therecoverygroup.com

Scroll down to the "Doorway to TRG Meetings". Type in a user name or if you want to go in anonymously just go in and you'll be under "guest."

On that same website there are chat rooms. Newcomer lists, information, email groups, info about ways to find a sponsor online, etc. It's a great resource.

I go to an online meeting almost everyday. The meeting etiquette is: the person sharing is the only one to "speak/type" until they are done.

Welcome and hope to see you at an online meeting. I'm usually logged on as CJ.

Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote