Old 05-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Default travel and the program

I'm leaving tomorrow on a trip. I'll be gone for 6 days. My sponsor will also be out of town at the same time. I'm going to call her each day cell phone to cell phone, and we can also keep in touch over email.

I feel pretty confident about being able to stay abstinent and on program. But, I'm glad that we're keeping the routine of the daily call.

I let my friends whom I'm visiting know that I'm on a strict food plan and will need to go by a grocery store to pick up a few staples. They said, great no problem. Now I don't have to worry about what I'll eat, or about offending them by not eating what they are. I feel good about that.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #2  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

Good idea! You can do it.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Marny, great planning on your part! Have a wonderful time, hon.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:31 AM   #4  

It sounds like you have your plan all set! Keep up that confidence Have a wonderful trip!
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #5  

Hey guys. It's my second day of travel, and my abstinence and food plan are in place and working. I'm so thankful.

I had forgotten how different Arizona looks from where I live in California. It's really cool to be somewhere different.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:09 AM   #6  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Marny,
I'm so glad that you're able to stay on plan during your trip!! And how great that your friends are supportive and understanding about your situation!
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #7  

I'm back! What a great trip! I went to Scottsdale, Arizona and Omaha, Nebraska. What a funny combination. I had a wonderful time visiting friends.
I maintained my abstinence and my food plan. I'm really glad that I planned ahead to have my basic supplies, or I would have been in trouble. The time change and that they eat later than I do was a bit tricky with my eating schedule, but I was able to work around it.
I'm glad to be home.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome back, Marny! It sounds like a wonderful trip, and I'm glad you were able to stick to your food plans.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:08 PM   #9  

Thanks Ellis!

The hardest part of sticking to my food plan was once I got home. My body knew it was safe to finally feel tired. I ached for french fries and something sweet. But, I knew it was that I was exhausted and looking for comfort--I wasn't hungry. I talked myself through it last night and today. I went through my mental checklist about what I was feeling, said my abstinence prayer, explained to hubby what I was feeling so that he could better support me, and then I've gotten lots of rest. I checked these boards, called my sponsees, called my sponsor, read some literature, and I'm starting to feel okay again.
The addiction is always lurking...waiting in a dark corner for a weak moment. Thanks to God I kept my sanity today.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #10  

Marny - I am headed to church and only have a second, but I was wondering if you would share your abstinence prayer with us?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #11  

I would love to share my abstinence prayer--

Lord, I give you my food and my will. Please give me the will to keep my abstinence and stick with my food plan. Amen.

That's it. I usually visualize me handing up my food and will to God. The physical image helps me. Then I focus on being open to recieving His will--another sort of physical image.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #12  

Marny, that is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it I have written on an index card and plan on using that often!

I am so proud of you for continuing with your abstinence and plan even on vacation and then your return home also! That is awesome! It is funny how the disease creeps up at times that you wouldn't think it would... like after you returned home. It makes you see how you do need the program even when you think you have a bit of a handle on things. I can see myself becoming overconfident in time and thinking I have it beat... that is why I have to stay with the program. Again, you are such an inspiration
Old 06-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #13  

Thanks water--you make me feel great.

I'm glad that you can use the abstinence prayer. It's something so simple, yet so powerful and helpful.

Yep, we definitely need the program (especially) when we think we think we've got it all under control. Yikes...when we think we're in control, it's time to re-read the first 3 steps!!