Old 05-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #1  

Default I found a sponsor!

I have been worried about finding a sponsor, and wondered if I really even wanted one, but I realize that I NEED one in order to work the program properly. I have found an online sponsor who is a great fit, and I am SO relieved. I still wish that there were F2F meetings here, but working the program online is working out wonderfully! There is so much support available - including you guys! I am so grateful to have found OA and woohoo ... I have a sponsor!
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Awesome! You are taking wonderful care of yourself! Getting a sponsor is scary, but it's so helpful in so many ways. Hurray!
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/167/124

What does getting a sponsor mean? Sorry for the ignorance....
babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Water, that's great! I'm so happy for you!!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #5  

I am also happy for you. I have been to 6 meetings in the last 8 days, kind of looking around for a good fit. 4 of the meetings seemed good for me, but I got something out of all of them. How and where did you get an on line sponsor?
pharmacistkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #6  

Babsy--
A sponsor is somone just like you who has worked the steps successfully. They make themselves available to support and guide you through the steps. They answer questions, listen, give assignments and feedback. You can find a sponsor at a meeting or online. It's a very important part of recovery--you will do yourself some real service by selecting one.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #7  

Karen--that is so cool that you are able to go to so many meetings. I really wish that I were doing that! I would prabably be walking on air.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:27 AM   #8  

Thanks Karen, I don't know if I am allowed to post the links on here, but on the OA website there is a list of online meetings that you can attend. If you can go to F2F meetings that is better and I think that getting a F2F sponsor is better too. However, if you do not have the meetings available to you then there are online groups who will help you to find a sponsor. If you want more info, you can pm me and I will tell you which online OA group I am using. The online meetings would be a great add-on for anyone who does go to F2F meetings and they are a lifesaver for those of us who don't have them.
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote