Old 03-18-2006, 03:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Default I tried yoga yesterday!

I went to a Beginners yoga class. It was wonderful. We stretched and stretched and stretched! The poses were just challenging enough to make it work, but not so hard that I couldn't do it. I felt so loose afterwards, it was like I had just had a massage to loosen all my muscles. The teacher was great--very gentle and helpful.

I tried a Yoga class once before years ago, and it must have been an advanced class or something because the poses were so difficult that I spent all the time just trying to get into them without ever enjoying a stretch from them.

There were all different shapes and sizes of ladies in the yoga class. They weren't all skinny bean poles. I recommend it if you're looking for a low impact strength excercise. It made me feel great which helps me have more motivation to work my OA steps.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Marny, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
My daughter and I took yoga classes together for a couple of years. We both suffer from tension-related headaches and neck/shoulder pain, and the exercises helped us tremendously.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #3  

Ellis,
I carry my tension in my neck too. After class, I could turn my head far enough to see behind me!! It was amazing. The effects lasted through the next day too.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #4  

I went to my second yoga class today. I feel as great as last time. It did make me want to go home for a nap though. I'm amazed that it's a 90 minute class. The time flies by. It feels like a half hour.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:58 AM   #5  

Marny, I know what you mean. I initially thought, "How am I EVER going to get through 90 minutes!?" But like you said, it just flies by.
My classes were over at around 9:30 at night, so I used to go home and go straight to bed.
If you keep talking about yoga, Marny, I may have to join again.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #6  

I am reading through some old posts this morning and I found this one

Are you still doing yoga Marny? Did you start back Ellis? I got the You Can Do Yoga DVD by Leslie Sansone from Netflix the other day (I like to try them before I buy them) and at first I thought that I could never do that - but the little that I did do made me feel great. I am thinking I may buy the DVD and give it a shot.
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #7  

waterwater-
Yes! I'm still doing yoga, and I'm so excited about how much stronger my poses are now. I'm more flexible, I don't have so many aches and pains, and after class my body feels younger!
I told my 58 year old dad about how much it helped my neck and back, and he found a class and tried it!
Good for you for trying it!
Old 05-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #8  
On my way to a better ME!

S/C/G: 250/ticker/135

You're making me want to try. Do you do that in place of exerise? Do you burn alot of calories that way? The looser muscles and no more tension headaches is very tempting!
Rocker Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #9  

Water, I am embarrassed to say that I have NOT started back yet. However, I did move my yoga mat from the trunk of my car to the floor of my bedroom.

Cindy, you would love it. It works your "inner core", so you build these muscles that you never knew you had. You, too, could be standing on one leg or on your head in no time.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #10  
On my way to a better ME!

S/C/G: 250/ticker/135

I looked up a beginner class in my area...I think I will try it!
Rocker Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:48 PM   #11  

Cindy--
It is a form of exercise, but it's not cardio. You aren't going to burn hundreds of calories doing it. I usually don't break a sweat. It builds strength, balance, and improves your over all sense of well being. It's a time just for you to focus on your body. It's relaxing and feels good. I see it as another form of massage for my muscles and organs. Just remember to be gentle with yourself and take it easy in the beginning. Be sure to tell the teacher that it's your first time so that he/she can keep an eye out for you to help or to let you know when you're pushing to hard.
I hope your body loves it. :-)