Old 03-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Default tried an online meeting tonight

It was my first online meeting. My sponsor wants me to attend at least two a week, and there's only one a week in town. It was pretty similar to a live face to face meeting. The advantage is that they are every day, every three hours! So, no matter what, I can get to a resource of support.

Nothing can take the place of real human contact. Seeing and hearing others alive and in front of you is very powerful. However, the online meeting is great, and I'm so thankful to have it as an option.

If you would like to attend an online meeting, you can find one at:
http://www.therecoverygroup.org/meetings/index.html

If you decide to go to one, be sure to read the meeting proticol.

Abstinent 12 days! Feels great!
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:16 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Marny, thank you for the information! The Internet has become invaluable to us.
Congratulations on your 12 days, hon!!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:08 AM   #3  

i never knew there were online meetings. i'd probably feel more comfortable with that. i felt totally ill at ease at a meeting plus i suffer social anxiety and depression so don';t want to leave the house. plus side effects of meds can leave me drowsy or dizzy and not fit to drive. i wonder if the times will suit as i am in a different time zone???
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #4  

sweetpea,
All meetings are scheduled for Eastern Time Zone, but I'm in the Pacific Zone, so I just subtract 3 hours to know what time to sign on. Since they happen every 3 hours around the clock, there is sure to be one that will fit your schedule.

Sounds like an online meeting would suit your needs much better than a live meeting. :-)

Marny
Old 04-26-2006, 12:19 AM   #5  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Marny, thank you for sharing this information with us!

The "midnight one" Just started so I missed it... maybe I'll try tomorrow!
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:33 AM   #6  

mtatjac--
You are doing great! You are reaching out, and that is such a key part of the process.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:35 AM   #7  
I've had a rough week...

Marny, I so badly want to succeed at this. I never would have thought that there was more behind this than just ME having a problem with control issues. I never would have imagined this!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:47 AM   #8  

You hit it on the head!! There is so much more! If it were only an issue of you having control or not, you could beat it. Instead, I've learned that not only can't I have control, but I don't want it. I give it to God--my higher power. He's way better at it than me.
It is amazing that we spend our lives angry with ourselves for not having control of our food, and then come to this program and learn that we don't have to be angry or guilty or ashamed anymore. We have a disease-- an addiction of the mind, body, and spirit. It's such a relief to know.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:53 AM   #9  
I've had a rough week...

Marny, Thank you so much for being so open about talking to me! *lol* I'm pretty shy IRL so to ask these questions so quickly would be a lot for me...
Old 04-26-2006, 12:54 AM   #10  
I've had a rough week...

I am watching this online meeting, and it seems to move so quickly... it's much harder to follow than the face to face meetings... I just wish we had more of those around here! (And that I wasn't so shy!)
Old 04-26-2006, 01:27 AM   #11  

yes thanks for the info marny. i find it hard as the first step is virtually impossible for me but attending an online meeting might help me get perspective. i've taken a note of the times. next i have to get my a into g and go attend one and suss it out.

how long are the meetings?
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:15 AM   #12  
I've had a rough week...

Sweet Pea, the one last night was an hour. It was basically an hour of people sharing their stories. Pretty inspiring actually, and it would probably help you to realize both more of what oa is about, as well as recognizing some of your feelings you may not have realized.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #13  

Mtatjac-
You are so welcome! Helping you understand all this stuff helps me to understand it even better. :-)
Yes, online meetings are harder to follow than live ones. If it helps you, try to think of them as one more tool. You won't find everything that you need there, but you are sure to get something out of it.

SweetPea-- I agree with mtatjac--she described it well. It's a good place to listen to what others are learning and how they are healing.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #14  
I've had a rough week...

The next one starts in 8 minutes, and I'm already there and waiting! As soon as it starts I'm scadoodling out of here and just listening/reading over there!