3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Overeaters Anonymous (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/overeaters-anonymous-61/)
-   -   Should I go to OA? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/overeaters-anonymous/3254-should-i-go-oa.html)

jdoll 03-19-2001 03:21 PM

Hi, everyone,

I was wondering if you all could give me some advice. Could OA help me?

I'm not really an "overeater" right now. I used to be a binge eater, but I stopped, lost 25 pounds through Weight Watchers, and have kept it off and been a lifetime member for 1.5 years. So I have my eating under control. But that's exactly what it is - under tight control. I feel like if I let up for one second, I'll start overeating again.

I always thought that being thin would make me happy. But I'm not happy! I'm still obsessed with food, weight, and exercise. I think about eating, and what I can't eat, and what I shouldn't eat, and what I want to eat, almost every moment. I exercise every day, if I don't I feel guilty - in fact, about 2 months ago they kicked me out of the gym for over-exercising. (Was doing over 2 hours every day - they said I would hurt myself, and made me go home.) I still hate my body and think I look fat.

I'm a sober alcholic, in AA for 6 years, and this feels exactly like when I used to control my drinking. I'd love to be able to just relax, eat when I'm hungry, and not be a slave to all the food and body image talk in my head. But I've tried to use the same coping skills from AA, and this is different. I have to eat, so I have to put some thought into it.

Anyway, do you think I could still go to OA? Would it help?

Thanks so much for your time through my long-winded post!
-Jamie

momsie711 03-19-2001 08:23 PM

Only you can decide for sure about going to OA or not.. I know for a fact that the program works if you work the program.. But then again, they will all work... OA does treat another two parts of the problem which other diet groups do not. There is the physical, which is the most obivious, then the emotional and then the spiritual.
I know that without the help of a Higher Power, whom I choose to call God, I would really be worse off than I am at the moment.
If you want to, give it a shot and see how it goes. If you find a supportive group that is working the program the way it is written, you should have success with it.. It is all what you put into it and want to take back...
Please let me know how you make out if you wish.
My address is [email protected].
Take care now and remember One day at a time....

Kelly 03-22-2001 09:59 AM

Should I go to OA?

Hi there ...Polly here!
I myself use the WW123 food program along with the principles of OA. I have found the combination of the two very beneficial to me.
Everyone needs to determine which food program is right for them. I can only speak for myself, and the combination of the two programs has allowed me to
really look at my eating patterns. I have truly grown
spritually and emotionally. The pounds are slowly coming off.
The site of recovery is: http://recovery.hiwaay.net/
Only you can determine if this program is good for you.
I hope I have been of some assistance.
Take good care and God Bless!

me3 05-05-2001 08:39 AM

OA????

hi... just wondering if you did in fact go to OA... and what you think about it.... I am a binger followed by lots of guilt afterward........never purged, just gained and lost...and occasionally obsessed with how weak I am not being able to "stick" to a diet ... then the depression..... the eating -- the getting hold of myself -- and it becomes ring-a-round -the-rosie again......

so did you go to oa ? and is it helping you??

momsie711 05-05-2001 02:00 PM

OA

me3,
Went to OA a long time ago, but the program does remain the same today.. If you work it the way that it is written, it will work for you. I know that for a fact... Like everything else, I have to want to work it in order for it to work. If you would like to chat, give me a shout.
Email is [email protected] love to chat with you about this program if you would like.. Being a bit older makes it more difficult to deal with getting rid of the weight, but it still works for those that choose to work the program as it is written... You can use whatever food plan that you choose as that is only one part of the whole program... Hope to chat soon..

Kelly 05-07-2001 12:12 PM

OA?

Hi me3:
Barb is right...I am one who tries to work the 2 programs together. WW has always been a good food plan for me..especially the point system. I find by working the WW foodplan and implementing the tools of OA (the Big Book, the 12 and 12 book, having an online sponsor as well as getting to online meetings), I get a tremendous amount of support that I truly need.

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.
I'd be more than happy to help you out.

angelsglitter 05-07-2001 11:09 PM

compulsive Overeater

I am so glad to find this web sight.. I wish we had more people on the compulsive overeater thread..
I use to go to OA when I lived in a diffrent state.I now live in Arkansas Is there a place I can call or some where on the net I can find out if there is a meeting any where close to where I now live???Information would be much appreciated.

I am very much a compulsive Overeater.. I have the red book compulsive Overeater by bill B. Is there some place I can buy any other books ?

If there is no meeting in my area do you think it would do any good to goto an A.A meeting since we do study out of the Big Book??

Sincerly Vicky
a compulsive overeater

Kelly 05-09-2001 09:08 AM

OA?

Hi Vicky:
Just wanted to take a minute to respond to your post.
I found a lot of helpful information at the following site:

http://recovery.hiwaay.net/

If have difficulty getting there...just let me know.
I hope you're having a great Wednesday.
Sorry so short...gotta run..I've got a lot on my plate today! I promise to be in touch!

Kelly

angelsglitter 05-09-2001 09:35 PM

over eaters

Kelly.
I got to the web sight but I am haveing problems in joining in the chat groups or any thing elce. so how do you go about joining???
Thanks so much for letting me in on this it is much appreciated.
I am so desparated!!!!!!! I got in on eating Triscits I have been out of control for over a week now It is like I am insane and I am hungry all the time... I do not think there is a meeting any where near me..
I have tried every diet known to man and not done to well. I just do not know where to turn..
Please Help!! how do I go about getting a on line sponcer?
Vicky

Kelly 05-09-2001 10:26 PM

Should I join OA?

Hi Vicky: Here's the link I think you want:

http://recovery.hiwaay.net/newcomer/newcomer.html
Just join the recovery loop there.
I hope it works for you!

Kelly