Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 276/260.6/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Late Night Mistakes

I've struggling with binging (and for a while purging) off and on for almost 6 years and no matter how hard I work to stop, something always happens.

Lately it's been an issue late at night. I do really well during the day watching my portions and making sure I keep things under control, but when I get home from work at 10 or midnight, I can't get straight to sleep. I'm usually too hyper from a pretty fast paced job, and I sit down to read or watch an episode of something on Netflix... and then it hits.

I find the worst food in the house and eat way too much of it. I don't know why, or how to stop, but I feel like it's ruining all of my hard work at eating well and exercising during the day.

Any tips or ideas? I don't know what to do, at this point.
Chelainabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/264/155

Height: 5'9

Try putting healthy snacks in quick grab containers and eat them before you have anything unhealthy, it may not stop you completely (or it might) but it could at least drastically cut down how much of the unhealthy stuff you are eating in one sitting! Also don't underestimate the ability of fruit and a small piece of dark chocolate to curb sugar cravings, that usually does the trick for me!!
Learning Curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #3  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelainabear View Post
I've struggling with binging (and for a while purging) off and on for almost 6 years and no matter how hard I work to stop, something always happens.

Lately it's been an issue late at night. I do really well during the day watching my portions and making sure I keep things under control, but when I get home from work at 10 or midnight, I can't get straight to sleep. I'm usually too hyper from a pretty fast paced job, and I sit down to read or watch an episode of something on Netflix... and then it hits.

I find the worst food in the house and eat way too much of it. I don't know why, or how to stop, but I feel like it's ruining all of my hard work at eating well and exercising during the day.

Any tips or ideas? I don't know what to do, at this point.
This has been my biggest problem too. I do well all day, only to see it all fall apart late at night. I don't think it has anything to do with hunger. I think its just boredom. Other than just sheer will power, the only thing that has helped me is otherwise occupying myself. Sometimes I go for late walks. This kills two birds with one stone, because not only am I removing myself from the temptation of eating, but I'm burning calories too. The problem is I am often too lazy to go for the walk.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:36 AM   #4  

Learning Curve: Those are good ideas, I'll definitely try them! We just got some good fruits and veggies the other day at the store, and I found that the Brookside chocolates are really good in just handfuls. They're fruit gummy things covered in chocolate, and they're sweet and rich enough that 4 or 5 will do for a sweet snack.

Joe: I'm glad someone else does it, too! Though I'm not glad it's something you have to deal with. Walking is a good idea, I'll try it one of these nights. The hard part about that on nights that I work is that I've been on my feet for 5-8 hours on a concrete floor, so all I want to do is sit or lay down for a bit. Maybe I'll try walking only when I get the urge to snack.

I was thinking maybe writing would be a good idea, too? I like to write but I don't do it enough, and it's something I could do with Netflix or music going.

I've also considered tea. I really like it, and even though most of the loose leaf blends I have are caffeinated, it's not enough to keep me up. I'll start trying that as it gets cooler here, maybe.

Last edited by Chelainabear; 07-31-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/199

Height: 5-8

I am the same way but as "Learning Curve" suggested, make those snacks be low calorie! But just until the habit goes away. Soon the habit will turn to a positive one... maybe the habit started with watching TV... try running the sweeper instead! LOL! Then all you'll want after that is a cold glass of water... Good luck...
RedHeadLongLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Chelainbear, I was just wondering, are you doing Overeaters Anonymous (OA)? I see that you posted under that section, but I haven't noticed any mention of it in your post or anyone's responses. If not, then no big deal, but I was just curious because I'm doing OA.

Either way, I hope you find a way to help you with your struggles.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #7  

luckymommyI'm not, I think I accidentally posted in this sub-forum :/ I meant to be in Chicks in Control, but I figured that this would be just as supportive.

I live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere in Washington, and between two jobs and my sister's new baby at home, I don't really have the time to attend any kind of meetings, either.

RedHeadLongLegs: I'm definitely going to try that, which might mean I need to take a trip to the grocery store and buy some healthy snack food.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:28 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I can understand your hesitation to join, since there is some time commitment necessary. I would like to tell you that they do have telephone meetings which you can find in your time zone on www.oa.org in case you're ever curious.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Your priority should be to calm down and get to bed as quickly as you can. You can't binge while asleep.

If it were me, I'd have a glass of wine or beer to take the edge off the day and go to bed.

Last edited by IanG; 07-31-2014 at 04:41 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #10  

luckymommy: Thank you! I will definitely look into it if I start to feel like I need that support.

IanG: I might try that, too. I just have such a fast paced job that it takes at least an hour for me to wind down. I'm wondering if I should take a little walk as soon as I get home, before I even go inside. It's usually cool enough outside, and that might take the edge off.

As far as beer or wine goes, I'm trying not to drink my calories, which means cutting out things like soda, beer and wine. Plus beer makes me sick, I might be allergic to hops. :/
Old 07-31-2014, 09:05 PM   #11  
Joe

Quote:

Joe: I'm glad someone else does it, too! Though I'm not glad it's something you have to deal with. Walking is a good idea, I'll try it one of these nights. The hard part about that on nights that I work is that I've been on my feet for 5-8 hours on a concrete floor, so all I want to do is sit or lay down for a bit. Maybe I'll try walking only when I get the urge to snack.

I was thinking maybe writing would be a good idea, too? I like to write but I don't do it enough, and it's something I could do with Netflix or music going.

I've also considered tea. I really like it, and even though most of the loose leaf blends I have are caffeinated, it's not enough to keep me up. I'll start trying that as it gets cooler here, maybe.
Writing should do the trick. I've often noticed that when I am busy doing some sort of project in the evening, I get so engrossed in it that I don't even think about eating. And before I know it, I'm ready for bed. I'm convinced that the trigger to my late-night eating is just boredom while sitting in front of the tv. It just feels natural to munch a snack while watching.

Its funny you mention having tea. I have been making myself decaf coffee late at night as a way to curb any cravings. It doesn't always work because coffee doesn't really help a craving for something savory. But it definitely has been helping me. The other thing is to try to snack on something that will minimize the damage of binging.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 PM   #12  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Your priority should be to calm down and get to bed as quickly as you can. You can't binge while asleep.

If it were me, I'd have a glass of wine or beer to take the edge off the day and go to bed.
Ian! How the heck have you been? Looking good!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #13  
Joe

Quote:

IanG: I might try that, too. I just have such a fast paced job that it takes at least an hour for me to wind down. I'm wondering if I should take a little walk as soon as I get home, before I even go inside. It's usually cool enough outside, and that might take the edge off.

As far as beer or wine goes, I'm trying not to drink my calories, which means cutting out things like soda, beer and wine. Plus beer makes me sick, I might be allergic to hops. :/
For Ian, beer = life. I think his dinner is mostly comprised of beer. I can't even think what he'd do if he developed an allergy to beer!
Old 08-01-2014, 02:54 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
For Ian, beer = life. I think his dinner is mostly comprised of beer. I can't even think what he'd do if he developed an allergy to beer!
Okay, I'll stop talking about any beer allergies, I don't want to upset anyone

My mind wasn't really in the right place for writing tonight, so I decided to keep myself busy until I got tired. I cleaned up my bedroom, and cleaned out my wallet and counted all of my change. That sort of mindless task made me adequately sleepy, and I had no snacks Just water.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #15  
Joe

Quote:
Okay, I'll stop talking about any beer allergies, I don't want to upset anyone

My mind wasn't really in the right place for writing tonight, so I decided to keep myself busy until I got tired. I cleaned up my bedroom, and cleaned out my wallet and counted all of my change. That sort of mindless task made me adequately sleepy, and I had no snacks Just water.
Way to go! Just keeping yourself occupied definitely helps. I was also able to get through the evening without eating or drinking anything but my mug of decaf. Just have to take it one day -- or in our case -- evening at a time and only worry about that.

Are there any hobbies that you enjoy doing besides writing for those nights when you aren't in a writing mood?