i dont know what to eat in oa-everything seems to have sugar or wheat-

• Hi everyone. This is my first post. I have gone to 3 oa meetings in the couple of weeks. I have read all the material plus what I can get online.

I would really like to get rid of the constant cravings I have and stop "white-knuckling" my restraint from food.

I just went through my pantry and refridgerator and sooo much of the food has sugar as the 2nd or 3rd ingredient and the others have wheat listed right away. Even the "100% whole wheat bread" I thought was healthy to eat has sugar labeled as high fructose right away.

What do you eat?
    What do you eat when you eat our socially? My husband and I like to go out for dinner with friends on the weekend?

Also, if a certain food is not necessarily a trigger food-pizza-will having it trigger other cravings?

Thanks!
  • Here are some ideas..
    I've been in OA for a couple of years now and I totally understand the frustration you are feeling when it comes to finding food without sugar. I've given up flour, sugar (5th ingredient and beyond is okay), diet pop, gum and have limited my salt intake since salt contains sugar (who would have thought, right). It is hard at first, but gets much, much easier once the sugar and wheat gets out of your system (usually takes at least 17 days).

So since I don't eat any flour (including wheat), I eat a lot of rice, potatoes and quinoa. Here is a sample of my food plan for today. Note: I am on the diabetic food plan, not the Kay Sheppard plan.

Breakfast
    2 starch - 1 cup hashbrowns (Cascadian Farm Organic hashbrowns, put in microwave safe container, add 1 tbsp water, microwave for 7 minutes)
    3 meat - 3 oz. of Applegate's Organics Chicken & Apple Sausage
    1 fruit - 1 1/4 cup strawberries
    1 dairy - 1 cup skim milk
    1 fat - 1 tsp butter
    1 condiment - 2 tbsp Heinz Ketchup Reduced Sugar

Morning Snack
    1 fruit - grapes 3 oz.

Lunch
    3 starch - 1 cup rice
    3 meat - 3 oz. roasted chicken
    2 vegetables - 1 cup cooked green beans
    1 fruit - orange 6.5 oz
    1 fat - 1 tsp olive oil (put on top of rice)

Afternoon Snack
    1 fruit - apple 4 oz.

Dinner
    3 starch - 9 oz. potatoes
    3 meat - 3 oz. hamburger
    2 veg - 1 cup cooked carrots
    1 fruit - 1 cup raspberries
    1 fat - 1 tsp butter
    1 condiment - 1 tbsp Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup

Evening Snack
    1 fruit - banana 4 oz.

I hope this helps.
  • Hi!

I'm not in OA but have been eating low-sugar and low-carb to help me with my overeating and binge eating problems. It definitely helps. Limiting dairy has also helped.

I try to always eat a meat dish with a variety of vegetable side dishes.

I'm trying to eat a lot more fruit to cut the sugar-junk cravings.

When I go out for dinner, it is tough. I have to force myself. No pasta or rice, no potato side dishes; I ask them to remove it from the plate. I pick a meat dish, mussels are my favourite usually.