• Hi All

I went to my first face to face meeting last night and was so glad to have gone and met other people who can relate to what I am going through. I have done a few online meetings previously too and will carry on doing these on a daily basis but I will also carry on with the face to face meetings when I can.

I am wondering how long I should wait to ask someone to be my Sponsor. Should I jump straight in and ask or should I wait a little while?

I am glad to say that I have managed to be abstinent so far today and it is almost 5pm

Chuckles1007
  • Welcome. I would suggest you jump right in and get a sponsor right away. It is not like a marriage- if things don't work out between you, "breaking-up" is perfectly fine. Having someone who has worked the steps be your guide is so so valuable.
  • Hi Chuckles.I've learned that compulsive overeating is a disease of isolation (even when other aspects of my life are with people.) So I look for a few experienced and abstinent OAers I can talk to outside of meetings. I am grateful for my first sponsor, who helped me stop using food compulsively, so I could focus on the steps without being "sedated." One way to begin with a new sponsor is by asking someone to help you get started.Then you can see if you want to continue.