Old 06-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #1  

Default Don't mess with my food plan!

Received a phone call yesterday from the doctor and my cholestrol is higher than last year and it was high then!! She wants me to change my food plan to a very high fiber one so am here asking for help.
If any of you have any idea's please feel free to send them to [email protected].

I'm not a happy camper as I was very comfortable with my food plan but I'm willing to try and change it and realize if I want to keep on this earth it is probably a great idea to do so.

The world is not coming to an end if Pat has to change her plan and she will also survive this as she has done before so onward we go.

thanks for any help.
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 137/132/122

Height: 5' 3"

You can get info by googling "high fiber foods". This is one that came up:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hig...-foods/nu00582

Did your doctor tell you how many grams of fiber you should get a day?
CatR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 236/218/160

Height: 5-10

I get a lot of fiber in my diet by eating brown instead of white rice, whole wheat pasta (you get used to it) and the big one is high fiber bread (like fiber one) and cereal (like kashi). Kashi bars are good too - some of them have I think 50% of the daily requirement in one bar. Oh, and beans of course...
Hope this helps!
JessicaLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #4  

Thanks so much for the input. I'm thinking I was more upset with having to change my food plan than I was having to add the fiber. It's going better and I have the beans soaking to cook today.

My problem at the moment is I've been awake for two hours so I guess I will try to get some sleep before I have to get up for the day.

Have an abstinent day everyone.
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #5  
Samantha

S/C/G: 200/159/150

Height: 5'7"

Look for ways to add higher fiber food into your diet and track your progress on FitDay.com. Some foods to consider are black beans, soy nuts, apple, orange, brocolli, carrots, Khosi high fiber cereals, dried figs, lentils, pears, and spinach to name a few. I look for ways to add fiber to my diet everyday. If I'm having a small bowl of soup for lunch, I add a few black beans to it. Instead of having orange juice for breakfast, eat a whole orange instead. Oh. bananas are also great for you with lots of potassium and high in fiber. As you begin increasing your fiber intake, do it over time so you don't upset your digestive system.
Samantha100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #6  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Check out the Reality diet, its talks about soluble fiber foods that hIelp lower cholesterol and help us stay regular. you don't have to completely change your diet, just modify it with better fiber foods.
I finally had to go on meds, no matter what i did it would not go down, darn heredity.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #7  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

My brother-in-law eats VERY healthy and exercises 2! He is also a physician. He has to take cholesterol medicine...because it runs in his family.

Of course for an addict...this could be an excuse. Ah, the joys of trying to figure out what is right for us for today.

Good Luck! Cathy
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #8  

does your meal plan encourage eating eggs every morning? when i began my oa meal plan i was surprised that 2 eggs every morning was acceptable because of the cholesterol. I read that one egg per day will not raise cholesterol, so occasionally i will eat them but i try to substitute 2 egg whites for every egg i would have put in my daily meal plan
chicko3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #9  

Funny that right next to your original post is an add for metamucil.

It was exactly what I was going to say.

If you are super uncomfortable about changing your food plan...
you could ADD fiber suplements to your day.

glucomannan
flax seed (ground is best)
physilium
Benefiber (clear)
Fiber35 (google that and there are a few supplements available)
apple pectin (sure jell for canning is a great additive to liquids)

I use Equate fiber supplement - it comes in orange or plain....sugar or not

Wishing you the best of success in this
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #10  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

I did everything right for a year to lower my cholesterol and it went up!! Realizing it is hereditary, I chose to go on meds. Stick to your food plan, try adding some ground flax seeds to your diet instead of going high fiber crazy.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote