Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/253/150

Height: 5'3"

Question What to expect?

Trying to nip the anxiety in the bud before the meeting I hope to go to next week. What can I expect? I know things are different from place to place but any general stories would be appreciated. Especially if you are someone who has been a part of different groups in different areas and saw similarities. Going on the OA website is overwhelming me so I'm stopping for fear of going to Wendy's to "de-stress".

My mom has been saying I should try OA for years (her mother was a huge AA fan), but I guess I was never ready to admit that it was this big of a problem.
hobowithoboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #2  

I know this is an older thread, but I'm wondering how it went for you. Did you ever end up going to that first meeting? I'm in the same boat as you. I just learned that the local hospital holds meetings twice a week. I want to go, but I'm scared and nervous about what to expect.
Spyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 269/184/149

Height: 5'7"

I absolutely LOVE the phone meetings. You just dial in and listen and you do not have to say a peep. They ROCK!
Sheila7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila7 View Post
I absolutely LOVE the phone meetings. You just dial in and listen and you do not have to say a peep. They ROCK!
Can you elaborate on the phone meetings? I didn't know they did those
dakotamidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #5  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

If you go to the OA website, there is a HUGE list of phone meetings. They are well worth your time! That is....IF you can't go to a face to face meeting.

Every meeting is conducted a little differently. But one thing is common at every meeting around the globe--there are people there that understand where you are right now in your journey. You won't be expected to say anything at the meeting--maybe introduce yourself to the group, but that's about it. The rest of the time, you can be a sponge and soak it all in!

There is a time in just about every meeting where a donation basket is passed (called the "seventh tradition"--the collection helps with rent, literature expenses, etc), but do not feel obligated to contribute if you don't wish to.

Most meetings circulate a book for folks to sign and put down phone numbers (called a "We Care" book in my neck of the woods). You are not obligated to sign the book or put down your phone number if you do not wish to do so. The main purpose of the list is so folks can exchange phone numbers to call in case they need support, or if they want to reach out to support others.

You may attend a meeting and for some reason or another not like it. Before you decided OA is not for you, attend at least six different meetings. Every meeting has a different "vibe" depending on who is in attendance.

Let us know your thoughts!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote