Old 07-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Question Working the Steps - How??

I just started attending OA meetings last week (I've been to 2 as this is all my schedule permits with the number of meetings in my area) and so far I haven't been able to find a sponsor. Either there was only 1 at the meeting I went to who was already "full" or I just haven't met one. So I am doing my best to abstain from compulsive eating, but I know i really need to "work the step" and am having trouble figuring out how. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm kind of confused. A lady at today's meeting said I really need to do them with a sponsor.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thank you!!
Hope81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi there-

It really is ideal to work with a sponsor, but if there are none available, you can move forward anyway.

I recommend that you get an OA 12 step workbook. You can get it online at the OA web site. If you don't already have the OA book the 12 Steps and Traditions, then get that too. Read and write. Report what you're writing and learning to someone so that you are being accountable. You can report it at your meeting during sharing time, you can report it here, or you can report it to any OA member who is willing to listen (any OAer should be).

If you are willing, pray about getting a sponsor and what your higher power's will is regarding that.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252.2/220/200 1st goal

Height: 5'4"

Hi Hope,
I am not sure how your meeting works but at ours all Sponsors are asked to identify themselves and tell a bit about how they Sponsor and if they are available to Sponsor someone.
If this is not being done, perhaps you can ask your group leader to start that process so New Comers can hook up with a Sponsor quickly.
Once someone in your group says they are a Sponsor and are availble decide if they are someone you could feel good about working with and they approach them after the meeting to be your Sponsor.
Keep us posted,
Majic Flute

Last edited by Magic Flute; 07-09-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Magic Flute is offline   Reply With Quote