Old 06-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #1  

Default I've been researching and just am curious.

Hey everyone, I'm new and I've been researching OA. I just don't know where else to turn. I diet and diet and then binge and feel an overwhelming guilt and just say well may as well keep going, I screwed up already. It's sucha vicious cycle that I'm sure alot of you can relate too. It's like food is my drug of choice and that sounds absolutely crazy to so many people. They're like shut up and just eat healthier and move more! It really hurts because I cannot control myself at times, it's almost like I am going through withdrawls if I don't have my "binges". I can do so good, eat healthy exercise for I wanna say up to 2 weeks and then something triggers and I just lose it. My weight is constantly going up and down. I get depressed and angry and to the point where I hate myself and am even disgusted to look at myself I feel lethargic and sick all the time. I've been battling this since I was about 14 or 15. And my mom and I both always just assumed it was a lack of willpower that would knock me off diets. I'm so aggravated with it and I just don't know what to do.

Anyway my question is does OA really help, obviously you have to put the effort in; in order to get anything in return. But I just would love to hear some success stories, and maybe get to know some people who are going through similar situations.

Thanks
Arididi719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #2  

Welcome!

Do you have an OA group in your area? If so I suggest you go to 5 or 6 meetings and then decide if you are one of us. That's the best way to do the research as far as I know.

OA really does work when you work it. It's a physical, emotional and spiritual program and for me I must work all three aspects as it's a physical, emotional, spiritual disease. It has nothing to do with will power, having it or not having it. One doesn't ask for cancer, does one?

I haven't asked for this disease either but there is recovery all I have to do is reach out and take a hand and be lead.

Hope you will give OA a chance.

hugs
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #3  
on a mission

Exclamation fellow binger

I don't know one thing about OA, but I do know binge eating. And it is just as you described, an addiction. Don't let others get you down, and let them mind their own business when it comes to telling you to get over it. It is not that simple. There is a good website I've found that I check in on and it helps me, Binge eating disorder dot com You might check it out too! Good luck.

Something that REALLY REALLY HELPS me, and this is gonna sound simple and silly, is a journal, a food journal. It almost works in a weird way. There is no way I want to look back and see what i just binged on, written down in ink, so i think a great deal more that i used to. doesn;t always work, but a HUGE help.
Salubrious Fervor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/135-see tracker

Height: 5 ' 3"

Hi
I went to OA meetings for a while many years ago. I actually think it was too early for me. I hadn't "hit bottom" as it were and i wasn't sure that it was the right thing or time for me. That being said I found the support and community very rewarding.

For me, personally, several weeks into this journey of logging my foods, counting my calories and gradually reformulating my eating and exercise habits, i think i'm on the right track for me. Finding 3fatchicks, and most especially the community available through the forums, and becoming a member is a crucial piece of this puzzle. I'm learning to set reasonable limits on my eating behavior, and, in this particular area of my life, reparenting myself in the process. I think this is what i need.

But everyone isn't like me and the absolute BEAUTY of this place is not only the huge diversity of approaches to weight loss, but also the diversity of perspectives held by the diverse people following those approaches.

Don't worry about the folks who just say, " shut up and just eat healthier and move more!" As you've discovered it's not that simple for you. And the two posters previous to me have let you know that they share your experience, so you know you are not alone here. I'm with patd-find a meeting, or several different ones, and try them out for a bit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with needing that kind of support.

Great Good Luck to you Arididi and big as well!!

Last edited by Ailey60; 06-13-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Ailey60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #5  
Starting Over (again)

S/C/G: 229/183/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi Arididi,

If you look up OA.org, they have a questionnaire that you can answer, and this may help you figure out whether you are a compulsive overeater or not. But to answer your question, yes, OA does work! I have been in program for about 9 months, and I could not be where I am today without it. Gone are the binges that last days on end, and in its place is a new sense of worth. If you are ready, check the website, ask questions, and look into a meeting. Good luck!
shelliebellie is offline   Reply With Quote