Old 04-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #1  

Default Starting an OA meeting in town.

There are none here so God and I are starting one. I was starting it next Monday but since I didn't put any dates on the flyers I took around yet God says we are opening tonight. It will Monday and Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.

The AA group is sharing their meeting room with us so didn't even have to look for a meeting place. Everyone has been so supportive and helpful from World Service, and Intergroup and loops and boards on the net so I'm just leaving it in God's hands. I think I've done the footwork now it's up to Him.

will let you know how it goes.

hugs
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

pat-
That is so awesome! I'm excited for you and looking forward to hearing how it goes.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 355/326/219

Height: 5'10"

pat,

praying for your new group...can you tell me how you started this process? There is not a group in my town either...have been thinking about it in the back of my head for awhile...that maybe I should start one.

wishing you the best,
junebug69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #4  

Well, it was just me and God last night and it was wonderful. Such quiet time I haven't had for a long time. I finished my 4th step and read about the 5th step.

Lisa I ordered the starter kit from www.oa.org and there's lots of information in there. Then my sponsor gave me the name of the lady that started their group and I talked with her. Then I made flyers and took them to different places and also made a smaller one and went to churches and asked them to put it in their bulletins and then went to the paper and had it put in there.

As far as the meeting places I had that first as the AA meetings I've been attending offered the use of their meeting room so all I had to do was get and key and have one made.

I would order the starter kit first and go from there and find a meeting place. They give you lots of help. Also ask at the meeting you are going to how that one got started.

Pray, pray, pray.

I'm praying I will have other come but if God just wants me to have a quiet place with Him a couple times a week that's ok with me too.

I'm doing two meetings as the AA group says you need two to recover and I read somewhere last night to do two OA meetings if the group is new and one established AA meeting a week if you want recovery, so all kinds of suggestions.

I'm rambling.

Have a good one!

pat
Old 04-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #5  

Pat-
Have you thought of posting your meeting in the local newspaper? Most have a "meetings" section. That's how I found my meeting.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #6  

I did do that Marny and it is in tonights paper and the gal did a great job, as it kind of stands out from the others.

Also anyone that might be in the neighborhood that read here

It is on Monday and Wednesday at 5:30 p.m

Warren building
301 N Main Room 204
Use West Entrance.
Oops! forgot to say it's Garden City, Kansas
Pm me if you want more information.

thanks
hugs
patd

Last edited by patd; 04-10-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #7  

This was the first week of meetings and one couple came to both meetings for which I'm very grateful.

He came for help she came to support him thought that was very neat.

Just thought I'd let you know how it's going.

hugs
patd
Old 04-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #8  

awesome!
Old 04-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #9  

Talk about living the serenity prayer: "the courage to change the things I can"- you are an inspiration!
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote