Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #1  
Rebecca

S/C/G: 335/ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Default When people notice your weightloss and ask what you are doing do you tell them OA?

When people notice your weightloss and ask what you are doing do you tell them OA?
Just curious on what everyone tells people when they notice your new lifestyle. Are you honest about OA with others?
yummymummyOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #2  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

It depends who asks. If it is someone I know I usually tell them I got to the route of my issues or something like that. I give more detail to those I think will not judge. I don't tell strangers or coworkers that I dont have a personal relationship with. I'm pretty honest about my own eating/food related problems. Being secretive is what got me here in the first place!
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #3  

Where I live every 3rd person is in some kind of 12 step program, so I often just say that a 12 step program is helping me.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Great question.

When I first joined OA, I didn't tell a soul what I was doing. I still had a lot of shame wrapped up in my compulsive overeating, and I wasn't ready to share it with anyone. Once I found some freedom and peace, I wanted to tell the whole world, and I'm sure I talked off many people's ears who really didn't want so much personal information.

Today, I share about OA when my higher power puts it on my heart. I've learned that some people are threatened by 12 step programs, some people are judgmental about anything ending in "anonymous", and some people really only want to know if it's a magic, instant cure that they can get too. When God sends someone my way to share OA with, I can feel it. I start out openly, and honestly by explaining that I'm a compulsive overeater, and that with the help of OA, I am recovering. If they want to know more, they'll ask questions.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote