Old 11-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #1  

Default Im new to OA...but not to recovery....

Im really trying to get an idea of a food plan that will work for me....any ideas of how this should "look". Im a triathalete that tends to WAY undereat and had an addiction to phentermine. So Im not even sure where I need to start....
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Welcome! I'm glad that you are here.

Are you a compulsive overeater?
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #3  

Yes and a recovering (not active in 20 years) anorexic/bulimic...Im all over the place LOL...

My main concern is that I am a Duathlete..Triathlete. So Im not sure how to work a abstinent food plan around training. I really need 6 small meals..no sugar...no refined flour..Is that okay. I also need to make sure I eat ENOUGH. I tend to restrict calories and then binge later in the week.....
Old 12-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #4  

Gymgirl, as near as I understand food plans they are very indiviual. Your's sound great for the lifesystle right now. I've also learn when we start with one food plan it's not in concret so I can change it if it's not working the important thing is to start.

Do you have OA meetings around where you live that you could attend? That would be very helpful. Do you have a sponsor? I can't do this program with just me and God as I understand him so I got myself a sponsor. Keeps me honest with my food plan and she's helping me work the steps.

These are my opinions only take anything you want and leave the rest.

patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #5  

There are no meetings close to me. But I have done a online meeting for the past couple days and love it. I know I do need a sponser. Thank you so much for responding...I just wasn't sure what I should be doing
Old 12-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey Gymgurl.

Your abstinence definition could be:

6 small meals a day with nothing in between
no sugar
no refined flour
eating a minimum of ______ calories per day (so that you don't restrict)

That's it. Simple.

As for your food plan-- I recommend that you look at what is recommended by a trainer or nutritionist for someone who is in training for what you do. There are likely some recommendations for how much protein, carbs, and fat that you need in a day. Then, break up that amount over 6 meals.

I also recommend that if you don't have a copy of OA's 12 Steps and 12 Traditions, that you get one and read step one.

A sponsor is valuable for many reasons. She will be an accountability partner, an honest outside perspective, a wealth of information to answer questions, a big support, and a cheerleader.

Last edited by marny; 12-02-2007 at 01:19 PM.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:55 PM   #7  

You may want to visit the "whole foods" section of the forum and peruse the low carb or South Beach ones. Definitely making processed foods and white foods something I am "allergic" to cuts cravings, raises energy and makes life so much easier. I have done marathons and Avon 3day walks with horrible eating, powered by will. Now I am losing weight almost effortlessly and have alot of energy- I am almost afraid of what I could do now in those arenas (yah, yah
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #8  

How are you doing, gymgurl? I think of you often and wonder how you are getting a long. Please post and let us know.

hugs
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote