Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #1  
Writing my success story

Default I have a problem with food

Whew! There I said it! Now, I'm thinking of going to a meeting. What can I expect? I'm scared and embarassed to go. But, I think I need help. I can't do this on my own. . .
allabouttheskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/148/125

Height: 5'6"

i think it would be better if you have a close and trusted friend to go with...plus even if you go by yourself then you should know that you will make friends there and there are women just like you who are just as scared. thats why when you go you should be the first to introduce yourself to as many people as possible. weight loss is always more effective when you have a good support group
Good Luck
JeepsterQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #3  
eeg

S/C/G: 215/203/160

Height: 5'6''

Congratulations on taking this step. What to expect? . . . . .

To tell you the truth, I was turned off by the my first meeting.

This is a spiritual program, NOT religious. There is a big diference. That is hard to wrap our minds around sometimes, and it kept me away until I was utterly defeated and willing to try anything. You will hear people talk about God or Higher Power, or HP. If you have particular faith that involves "God" then this might be welcoming. However, if you are an athiest or agnostic, or struggling with defining a Higher Power, then you may feel uncomfortable. Please, please, please do not let this keep you away. As you will find out, a Higher Power is something that is more powerful than ourselves. For some people that means the energy of the group, it does not have to be "god," although it is for many people.

The other thing to be aware of is that the meetings are formatted a certain way and we try to refrain from "cross-talk". This means asking specific questions during the meeting or responding directly to another person's share. Please don't be offended or hurt if the "leader" of the meeting redirects you to ask something after the meeting or to talk to someone after the meeting. This is just to keep the meeting on topic and on trcak and gives everybody an opportunity to share.

It is suggested that you try several differnt meetings in your are before you decide if the program is right for you. Each meeting has a differnt "flavor" and you may like some better than others.

Here in Cincinnati, we have two different sects of OA. We have traditional OA and HOW OA. Both are OA and based on the 12 steps. However, HOW is a bit more structured. In both, you work with a sponsor to develop a food plan that is right for you. In HOW You are encouraged to weigh and measure your food. You also are usually required to make a certain number of phone calls a day, and journal everyday. ln traditional OA, you work with a sponsor at your own pace. People have found success using both programs.

You know how much structure you need better than anyone else, so that will help you decide.

Also, stay after the meeting to ask questions and meet other people. They will explain the program to you and give you phone numbers to call for help.

I'm happy for you that you are taking care of yourself. What you will find there is hope and understanding, no judgement or shame, and that is a great gift!

Emily

Last edited by eeg; 10-23-2007 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling
eeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #4  
Writing my success story

Thanks for the encouragement. I've got to get this under control.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey there allabouttheskinny-

I learned in OA that I can't get it under control, and I never will. If I could do it, I would have by now. Instead, I found out that I don't have to! It's my higher power's job to take control.

I've learned how to turn my food, my will, and my life over to my higher power's care. By working the steps, living only one day at a time instead of obsessing about the future or the past, listening to others in program who have recovery, and letting my higher power take control, I've been relieved of my obsession of food for 30 months now.

It was tough walking through those doors for the first time, but I found people who were just like me, felt like me, and thought like me.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:03 PM   #6  
Writing my success story

Thanks marny for the encouragement. I'm going to try and gather up the courage to go to a meeting. It will be so hard.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #7  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile You just took Step 1

It is hard for all of us to admit that we are powerless over food. Every day I wish I was someone else in this area of my life but I'm not. I'm ME and that is who I will always be.

I have returned to reading these posts because I want to keep moving forward and I need to hear that others are walking the same walk I am walking.

Thanks for sharing
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote