Old 06-28-2007, 02:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 123kg/114kg/63kg

Height: 5ft 5

Default Newbie from England

Hey guys, been reading through the threads here, and wanted to say hello.

I've had success with the Twelve Step program before, I have now been sober for over 7 months.

Thought it was about time I tried to apply the steps to my overeating problem.

I'm not able to get to 'real life' meetings, and am hoping to find support here.

I'm not sure what 'abstinence' is for me, so I shall be following the advice of someone on this forum, and will begin with eating just at meal times.

A little about me, I'm a married female and have battled with my weight since I was about 7. I've also battled with depressed and anxiety, and am currently unable to work.

Thanks for having me
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #2  

hey welcome and good luck. this forum is a great source of support. I also find support in writing a blog and reading about others in a similar situation. where in the uk are you?
clairec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/201/160

Height: 5'6"

Hi there...a fellow Brit!
Good luck with your goals and well done on the sucsess you're having with the 12 step programe
gertiegumdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #4  

I'm in Southern England, near London.

Writing a blog is something I've not tried before, but seeing how much I like to talk, I expect it'll suit me down to the ground!

I've made my first step today, I've packaged up all my 'bad' food for my Husband to put in the boot of the car. I know it isn't quite throwing it away, but I'm not quite ready for that yet. It took me a long time to pour away my 'emergency' vodka, and I expect it'll be the same for the food. At least I recognise that it is a danger, and will get it out of the way. Soon I will hopefully be able to throw it away.

Thank you for the warm welcome
Old 06-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #5  

hey Im in southern england too - hampshire.

dont forget to let us know where your blog is if you write one so we can read about your journey!

good for you for making decisions
clairec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #6  

There! My Blog is set up ~ http://odaatuk.wordpress.com/

Nothing really there yet, hopefully I'll have more to write about in future.

Had 'the talk' with the Husband just now, he has agreed to remove his chocolate to help me. Is it just me who is married to a super-slim guy who can eat what he wants?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 166/166/130

Height: 5ft1inch

Smile

Hi there,

Searsha here from Ireland - across the pond as they say! Great to welcome you to the site - I'm another 12stepper, well done for the courage to change at 7 months sober, took me a lot longer, but I'm so grateful to be in the solution today.

I've been aware of my food issues forEVER, but am only really now getting a handle on powerlessness! I'm on Day 6 of good clean healthy abstinence and I'm so so happy about that. If I can do that, anyone can, because I'm very compulsive around food.

Like you, I'm keeping my focus on 3 healthy meals a day - I have a small snack too, but not a processed one. It was suggested to me to get used to the concept of that first, before tackling portion control.

All I know is, I don't have any big huge sugar cravings, which is great, and I'm trying to let go the 'obsession' to weigh myself. Again, it was suggested I do this only once a month.
Wishing you all the very best
searsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:03 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

ODAAT-
Hey there- welcome!
Fellow AAer here. Thank God for sanity and serenity.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:10 AM   #9  

The welcome here has been so lovely, thank you guys

Well, today is day one, and I can tell you that I am HAPPIER that I have been in a long time. I woke up this morning feeling postive, and as a sufferer of depression, that is something to really be thankful for.

Searsha - interesting of you to mention weighing. When attempting to 'diet' before, I've weighed myself everyday and having one 'official' weigh in. It probably was a bit of an obsession for me too, so a monthly weigh in sounds like a good idea. I go to the doctors one a month for my prescriptions, and last time she weighed me. I shall take that as my starting weight, and ask her to weigh me whenever I'm there. I think that is the most sensible approach.

I've read alot of the posts here, and picked up some reall helpful information. This really feels like the right think to do.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252.2/220/200 1st goal

Height: 5'4"

Hi and Welcome,
I am a new comer too. Checking in online a couple times a day helps me keep focused and get really good suggestions.
According to my food journal, as I suspected the popcorn has to go. It is not a bad food but somehow I go into the habit of having it everyday and looking forward to it way too much. Crackers too I think.
Otherwise I am pretty balanced and meals are becoming more and more planned.
So much to learn. Someone shared with me "Our desease is a very cunning desease and fools us into confidence we should not have".
Thanks for OA online.
Bumps
Magic Flute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #11  

Hi Bumps, nice to meet you!

Today is my first day, but I really feel so much better. I've started my food journal too.

I think I will take up my Doctors offer of seeing a Dietician - I don't know if it'll help, but its worth a try.

Really hungry right now - 15 minutes till dinner is ready and I'm really feeling it. Actual hunger, been a long time since I've felt that!

I know what you mean about having things every day. Sometimes it just creeps in doesn't it?

Well done on meals becoming more planned. Eating 3 meals really helps I find.

Its quite exciting being at the start of this journey.