~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Sassypants thank you this is just what I needed to see
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:11 PM   #17  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Hey - I didnt see this before. I am very definitely in the lower but not low. I can not go into ketosis or even be in low carb for very long or bad things happen. Depending on my calorie level and what kind of activities I am doing I tend to do best in the 100-150 g per day. Sometimes a little lower, occasionally higher. I get the bulk of them through fruits and vegetables (I do not do "net carbs") with a starch serving in the evening because I sleep better that way.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Sassypants, your sample menus look great! I am surprised that the doctor approved of the 1000 calories. They usually want you to eat more, but I'm glad to see they are starting to realize that going a little lower is OK. If you can eat 1000 cals and not have hunger, that's wonderful!

Do you have an Aldi's near you? I buy bags of meatballs there. They have regular and some that are healthier. I have never tried the healthier ones and don't know what's different about them. I just don't think DH would eat them.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 284/279/180

Wannabehealthy - My husband made me ask my doctor if my calories were too low when I had my appointment for labs. She was very encouraging - she said as long as I have energy, don't get headaches, jittery, etc, then I'm fine. She also told me she does a lower carb diet
I had gestational diabetes with all 3 of my pregnancies, but it regulated after I gave birth each time. With that, along with my dad being diabetic, my risk is obviously higher.
Love2b150 - you are more than welcome Let me know if you need more ideas!
Sassypants75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #20  
~Rennie

ennay, I have been experimenting with an evening snack so far it hasn't been bad. Are you diabetic?

Hi Carol Sue

Sassypants I had GD with the last four. The first two I controlled with diet, then last two I was put on insulin. My first no GD but I was thin until I had her My father and his parents have/had diabetes. I'm told his dad was a double amputee.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #21  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Not currently - that I know of. I had GD with my first pregnancy but not my second (I was overall healthier the second). But I have been pre-diabetic most of my life and my dad had it. I came to moderate carb through the original South Beach and have tweaked it for my own purposes. I tried going low carb (although back then 50g was considered low carb) and it triggers major depression - It can trigger if I am below 100g too many days in a row. Plus if I go too high in protein or fat I get very very ill.

I usually have my starch with dinner. My evening snack is a little more free than my other meals. I tend to keep ~ 200 calories available and then choose based on what I feel like. Bourbon controls my GI issues so I always make sure I CAN have bourbon if I need it. Otherwise it can be a treat or quite often cheese and crackers or cheese and apples.

One of the things i have found over time is that most of the "rules" are backwards for me. Fruit is much more satiating/energizing and less blood sugar triggering for me than starch. I eat a BIG serving of berries with my first meal. Potatoes do well for me and are really the starch choice that is best for me. Oatmeal puts me in a feeding frenzy and is the worst of all carbs for me. Even straight sugar is better. Low carb sweeteners play havoc with my blood sugar and hunger way more than sugar does.

Last edited by ennay; 07-01-2016 at 03:45 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #22  
~Rennie

Wow ennay, you've got your body down to a T ... I wish I knew my body that well. The only thing that I know is gluten makes me bloat.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #23  

I go with under 50 carbs a day, and those carbs are vegetables and fruit.
Carbhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #24  
I need more coffee.

S/C/G: 280/259/170

Height: 5'9"

I usually eat 50 to 75 carbs at 1000 - 1200 calories. Full disclosure, I currently have a gastric balloon and this is the diet recommended by the dietician.
DixieAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote