~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Rosinante, Glad to hear things are well with you
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #257  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Afternoon ladies! I hope everyone's staying cool it's day two in the Big Apple and 93 right now. I did over 22,000 steps yesterday (9 miles), and 13,000 so far today.....my daughter is a walking machine! I'm eating a little higher cal than normal but I needed it. Sticking to water in the way of drinks mostly (except for the margarita I had today).

Laters!

Last edited by PrairieQueen; 07-23-2016 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Typo
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #258  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Enjoy PrairieQueen
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #259  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

HHH around here lately. We are going to an amusement park today in 90 degree heat. I don't know how that's going to work for two 70-something heart patients. LOL We might not stay long.

I've been sticking to low carb for a couple days. Down a couple recycled pounds, but the blood sugar is the big thing! So low I feel that my meter is broken, and I haven't had to take the 1 med at all. That I really like. It would be nice if I could keep this up, but I know my history.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #260  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Rennie! So glad to see you!

PrairieQueen, whew, that's a lot of steps! Lots of great exercise!

Carol Sue, you'll have to fill us in on if you survived the amusement park, lol! Keep up the great work with your WOE!!!

Rosinante, is the weather as hot there? I hope you're doing well!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #261  

Afternoon everyone's! I hope those of you experiencing hot weather are staying comfortable. Carol Sue yeah! on the good blood sugar numbers. I hope neither of you melted yesterday DD and I flew home yesterday afternoon after taking the subway and a short bus ride to the airport. I was soaked in the 5-min. walk to the subway! Thank goodness NYC keeps their trains well air-conditioned.

Jacqui hope your low-carb mojo returns soon. i think it'll give you feel-good energy to survive our hot Ohio summer

Rosinante still sending good-health wishes your way

My Fitbit says I slept 9 hr 40 min last night! I needed it.... My DD gave me a workout this weekend. I'm in recovery today, catching up on recipe-browsing, very light housework (there were hair balls everywhere ... hubs didn't keep my lab confined to his two rooms and of course didn't sweep at all), blah, blah....... My gArden needs weeding per usual but it ain't happening today. Home cooked food never tasted so good today, although we had some delicious meals (I did really well with self control) and got some great ideas for meals.

Yesterday.....

Brunch - "Rosti Burrata" which is a large Swiss hash brown topped with Burrata cheese (type of mozzarella with a creamy center), seasoned mashed avocado and crisped prosciutto.....it was wonderful
Dinner - my second trip to Wendy's in a year....4 nuggets, quest chili fries

Last edited by PrairieQueen; 07-25-2016 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #262  

The amusement park was an experience i don't want to repeat real soon. I did very well on food! But they decided we were going to ride the rides. That wasn't in the original plan. I had such a hard time getting on and off the rides with my bad knee and just all around lack of flexibility. Looking back, I wish I had a video of me getting into this one ride. The young girl running the ride and the people behind me were probably laughing their butts off. LOL DH was getting so frustrated with me, and I was getting perturbed that he was making me do that. Thank goodness it was so hot and DH didn't want to stay long. At the end of the day, there's a walk up a long hill to get out of the park. I announced to anyone who was listening that I won't be back until they put in an escalator. They do have handicap parking but it's in the back of the park and we had to go into the front of the park to get our free admission tickets. We have a handicap card to put on the mirror but we have never used it. We found it laying in the middle of the highway. Probably blew out of someone's car. So it's illegal for us, but just for a situation when we might need it. I guess if we were going to be honest, we would turn it in to the state. Not going to happen. LOL

We are supposed to be going out for dinner tonight, but a big storm just hit. I have nothing defrosted to make.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-25-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #263  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Carol Sue, good job on eating well while at the amusement park! That's not easy to do! I am not as good on the rides anymore either. What I have found is that my equilibrium is less stable. I've always been prone to motion-sickness, but now even on rides I used to be able to tolerate completely, I feel queasy and off-balance. I also feel beat up after coming off the rides now, lol!

PrairieQueen, I'm glad you made it back safely! I'm not surprised you slept so long, lol! Stay cool in this hot Ohio!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #264  

Ya know Jacqui, with me, it's lack of mobility getting on and off the rides, not so much the ride itself.

I had lasagne today. It was delicious. Back to low carb again tomorrow. I could eat another serving, so I'd better get it packaged up to give to my son-in-law for his lunch. Once I call him and tell him it's here, I can't eat any more of it. LOL

PQ, I don't think I sleep as much as my Fitbit says I do. I think it measures the time you are lying there, not moving, but not necessarily asleep.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #265  

Morning/afternoon everyone! I've finally got back into a "normal" routine and only 8.5 hours sleep. Carol Sue I'm usually so tired when I go to bed that I'm out as soon as my head hits pillow. I do wake up for a potty run if I don't stop the water early enough, which is most of the time

My garden is going crazy and it is sweaty work! I picked beans earlier in the week (more to go tonight), the second mesclun planting is looking and tasting great, my onions and cherry tomatoes are ripe, and today I picked the first bunch of zukes. So, I made a pasta salad today w/tricolor pasta, feta, tomatoes, onion, zukes a,d balsamic vinaigrette. In the fridge chilling now. This would be good minus the pasta too; just add more Zukes. I usually put turkey pepperoni in it if it is for a main course. I used to use Olive Garden dressing before I went clean. Now I use organic from store or make me own OG copycat dressing.

Which leads me to my question. Do you cook zoodles or use them fresh or both depending on dish?
Old 07-28-2016, 04:09 AM   #266  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Creeping back in sheepishly.

Remember I was doing my best to work on the 10lbs I'd gained? Guess what!? I've gained another 10. What an idiot. All I can do is put it down to stress + relief about my blood tests. Time to draw a line and move on.

I'd like to ask on here ~ this is such a warm and supportive thread, without the "breast-beating because I ate a carb" vibe that I've been getting from the Harcombe forum ~ would members mind sharing with me some ideas of the carb-sensitive principals they're following?

I ask because I did feel well, physically and mentally on the Harcombe diet but also rather bored sometimes, plus I was really starting to get into the fear of food feeling that made life last summer rather unbearable. Also it was expensive.
On the other hand, I'm not good around starch carbs, and find it very hard not to binge on them; and I'm afraid not only of getting too fat again but also of pushing my blood sugar and cholesterol levels up again.

If anyone could share principals, I'd be really grateful.

Thank you for asking about me while I've been MIA! We had one very hot week but the rest of the time it's been rather nice - warm but not ridiculously so; great for walking. A couple of nights when it was tricky to sleep for the heat but I hauled out a desk-top fan, and not only did that cool the room a bit, I found the noise very soothing and helpful for sleep!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #267  

Hey Rosinante! You may not be able to tell from my posted menus, but I don't do well on starchy carbs either (with a few exceptions). I haven't lost any weight this summer but I haven't had a net gain either...I stay between 139-141 lbs, which I can live with. I would start losing again if I cut out the starch, I'm sure.

My lifestyle change happened gradually the past few years, but I went all out and started portion control last July. I have cut out most ultra-Processed food. My bread is either sour-dough or homemade and my pasta is either whole grain/organic. I only use whole fat milk, butter, etc. I still do cheese, but portion controlled. I basically eat like my great grandparents did (which were thin and lived into their 90s).

Starches - I rarely have mashed potatoes now. I do make my own oven "chips" that get partially cooked, seasoned, flash frozen, and put in freezer bags for weeknight meals. I also do my own hash browns this way. I do make occasional pan-fried and/or oven potatoe is he's but nit too often....remember, portion control. I always use organic pasta and/or whole grain. My pasta usually accompanies a meaty dish so I end up eating 1/2 a serving (100 cal). I try not to make it more than 2x a month with the exception of this summer.

I buy NO junk food. I keep skinny popcorn and whole grain/nut crackers. All desserts are made by me...apple, pear, peach or pumpkin types because I grow them. I do cheesecake as well, but truthfully I have never cared much for sweets. I make a pie, have a piece, and send to hubs' office. Cookies and mince pies are for holidays and company. I've got quite robotic when dealing with processed and other "crap" food at this point. It kind of grosses me out, so the temptation is nonexistent. My problem is portion control, pasta, and potatoes! Oh, and high protein at breakfast is essential for me along with loads of water and not diet soda. I always make sure I have good emergency food or a plan for when I'm out or at work so I don't run to fast food or vending machine.

This may not be for you but it's really worked for me and I don't feel like I'm on a diet or deprived, because I'm not.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #268  
Happy Plodder

Thank you, PrairieQueen, I really appreciate that!

I think I need to start on the portion control first. That's generally helped me lose weight before but I was seduced by the promises of being able to eat as much as I wanted of the lowcarb, high fat, high protein foods.
Then I'll stop the "just one won't hurt" occasional cakes.
I'll keep up with eating butter not ughish spreads.
Real food but less of it, sounds like a plan to me
Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #269  

Rosinante, PQ can give you good advice, because she has had good losses with her way of eating. Me, not so good. Because of my diabetes, I have to keep most starchy carbs off the menu, but still I don't show losses, due to lack of portion control. I have never gained back the first 20 I lost. I am not one who loses and regains.....I just don't lose. Now that you are past the stress your were going through with worrying, you should be able to get back on track!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:56 AM   #270  
Happy Plodder

Thanks, Wannabehealthy. I admire you for keeping on going, and for your weightloss already!

I had a slightly less carby day yesterday, and ate slightly less of everything in quantity. It's a start.

I do do better on reduced carbs but (and I don't know whether it's good or bad) but it seems that my diabetes was brought under control "just" by losing weight. I ate pretty low carb for 6 months and it came down from 7.7 to 4.9 (I think that's 140 down to 85 but not sure of the conversion); the next 6 months I ate more mixed, with a few holiday carb fests - and my BS stayed at 4.9. So it's good in one way, that I don't have to be too afraid of foods but bad in that there isn't that drive to stay away from the embiggening carbs.....

Big hugs to all